DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help with near airport restriction

Not sure it's quite that black and white. (OK, I'm a new pilot, so maybe there's history that I'm not aware of).

Maybe "on a whim" was the wrong phase, although I have seen posts about folks getting exemptions/waivers that cover a number of months.

If you look at the 8 limitations associated with recreational flying, all but one (the "commercial" part (checking your own gutters for leaves, really)) also apply to Part 107 if you have not applied for any exemptions/waivers/etc.

Other than the ability for a Part 107 to apply for those exemptions/waivers/etc. and fly for "commercial" purposes are there any other advantages to a Part 107 (please enlighten me).

Now, the Part 107 allows you to apply for those exemptions to fly in areas/heights that recreational pilots are not allowed to. The key word is apply, it's not a given. Yes, you have to give a reason why you want to fly there/at that height. I haven't seen anything that states it must be a "commercial" reason. What's wrong with "recreational flight", as all it asks for is a reason. How is that different than than taking pictures/videos for a website, or a realtor.

The point is, you've proven (maybe) by passing the Part 107 you have more knowledge about the rules, regulations and conditions about flying your drone than the recreational flyer and hopefully fly more responsibly. Why should that be treated any differently than a "commercial" pilot who has also passed the Part 107 if you just want to fly for fun.

Not sure it's quite that black and white. (OK, I'm a new pilot, so maybe there's history that I'm not aware of).

Maybe "on a whim" was the wrong phase, although I have seen posts about folks getting exemptions/waivers that cover a number of months.

If you look at the 8 limitations associated with recreational flying, all but one (the "commercial" part (checking your own gutters for leaves, really)) also apply to Part 107 if you have not applied for any exemptions/waivers/etc.

Other than the ability for a Part 107 to apply for those exemptions/waivers/etc. and fly for "commercial" purposes are there any other advantages to a Part 107 (please enlighten me).

Now, the Part 107 allows you to apply for those exemptions to fly in areas/heights that recreational pilots are not allowed to. The key word is apply, it's not a given. Yes, you have to give a reason why you want to fly there/at that height. I haven't seen anything that states it must be a "commercial" reason. What's wrong with "recreational flight", as all it asks for is a reason. How is that different than than taking pictures/videos for a website, or a realtor.

The point is, you've proven (maybe) by passing the Part 107 you have more knowledge about the rules, regulations and conditions about flying your drone than the recreational flyer and hopefully fly more responsibly. Why should that be treated any differently than a "commercial" pilot who has also passed the Part 107 if you just want to fly for fun.
A commercial pilot must still abide by the rules even though they have much more knowledge. They can't fly a drone above 400' AGL just because they flew 787's at 45,000'.

The additional knowledge you gain from 107 cert doesn't allow you to fly outside of the recreational rules while flying recreationally. For example; if you are flying recreationally, you cannot fly 400' over a 200' tower. You must have your 107 AND be flying for a commercial purpose (i.e.; surveying the tower for defects).

Sound like you are looking for a way around the recreational rules based on where you want to fly (recreationally). That's not what Part 107 cert is for. If it worked that way, many more recreational flyers would be getting 107 certified.

Obviously, I am not doing a very good job explaining the differences. I suggest you use the search function in this forum and read through those threads. If you don't find an answer, start a new thread and pose your question with specific details. Make sure you mention your situation (maybe provide a specific location or screenshot from B4UFLY). You will get replies from folks much more knowledgeable than I. I'll leave it to the others to reply and watch quitely from the sidelines. I'm sure I will learn something new.

Good luck...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu