Votes: 167 56.0%
  • No.

Votes: 72 24.2%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 59 19.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you had flights restricted by DJI where there were no applicable FAA restrictions?

Me, YES, and CONSTANTLY. I live in mountain and canyon country I am constantly being limited to 1500 feet above take off while only being 100-200 feet AGL. This is a huge hindrance to me recreationally... As for professionally I have had to pass on bidding jobs inspecting radio towers that were more than 1500 feet AGL - as per FAA reg's you can actually fly 400 feet above the tower if you wanted too - but I would only be 10-20 feet above whatever the tower height would be. I have talked to DJI personally (a year ago) and at that time the guy I was talking to said that at some point a verification process and over 500 meter access might be available.... but I have yet to see that.

Me, YES, and CONSTANTLY. I live in mountain and canyon country I am constantly being limited to 1500 feet above take off while only being 100-200 feet AGL. This is a huge hindrance to me recreationally... As for professionally I have had to pass on bidding jobs inspecting radio towers that were more than 1500 feet AGL - as per FAA reg's you can actually fly 400 feet above the tower if you wanted too - but I would only be 10-20 feet above whatever the tower height would be. I have talked to DJI personally (a year ago) and at that time the guy I was talking to said that at some point a verification process and over 500 meter access might be available.... but I have yet to see that.

Hmm... That sucks but even you have to agree that you're a special case. Besides, I've owned several consumer drones none of which would fly as high as my Mavic without restrictions because of their limitations. Btw do the professional series drones like the Matrice have the same restrictions?

Hmm... That sucks but even you have to agree that you're a special case. Besides, I've owned several consumer drones none of which would fly as high as my Mavic without restrictions because of their limitations. Btw do the professional series drones like the Matrice have the same restrictions?
I have not flown the Matrice, but my brother has, I can find out... he may not actually know either, he flys at sea level... at least did until the Matrice they were using got shot down!

I have not flown the Matrice, but my brother has, I can find out... he may not actually know either, he flys at sea level... at least did until the Matrice they were using got shot down!

Just curious... No offense but DJI doesn't market the Mavic or Phantom as "professional" grade drones for doing site surveys or tower inspections.

Last edited:
Autel Robotics just released a new drone called the EVO. It looks very similar to the Mavic. However, if it can correct the problems found in the Mavic, I would be willing to shift over to the Autel. I have previously owned an Autel X-Star and it was a great product, but it became outdated so I switched over to the Mavic. Now that Autel has caught up to DJI and possibly surpassed it, I am very interested in the new drone.

Here is the video:

One of my FAVORITE things about the MP, on which I have the new props, is the relatively quiet operation. Considerably quieter than the Air, from what I have seen and heard. I would have to hear the EVO to even consider it. If I was ready to move, I would probably hold out for the MPII.

That's still a thing? I never got that whole show. Those Japanese dudes have permits to gather some whales, why not just let them do their thing? I'd be mad if some dudes harassed me while I was deer hunting or fishing too.

Just curious... No offense but DJI doesn't market the Mavic or Phantom as "professional" grade drones for doing site surveys or tower inspections.

They do not market them as such, but we find that the P4 is well suited, sometimes even better suited for more tasks (especially inspections) that the Matrice or Inspire...

That's still a thing? I never got that whole show. Those Japanese dudes have permits to gather some whales, why not just let them do their thing? I'd be mad if some dudes harassed me while I was deer hunting or fishing too.

These are illegal fishermen in Baja California area (northern Sea of Cortez). There are in a strict no-fishing zone, at night, setting nets. They are after the Totoaba (like a large sea bass) that are being harvested solely for their bladders for the Asian market for "medicinal" purposes... Kind of like Rhino horn in Africa, Bear bladder in Russia, etc. The drug cartels are now getting into trafficking the Totoaba bladders, and now apparently are upping the ante carrying fire arms on board (also strictly illegal in Mexico).

They do not market them as such, but we find that the P4 is well suited, sometimes even better suited for more tasks (especially inspections) that the Matrice or Inspire...

Ah but that should be considered a very positive thing towards DJI. For example, if you buy a Chevy Malibu. GM doesn't market that car as a tiring vehicle. However, you can put a hitch on it that will pull a 1,000lb load. Awesome! Except that you own a 2,000 lb camper. So are you happy that the car will pull a 1,000lbs even though it's not marketed as a tow vehicle or are you mad that it won't tow your camper? For many of the guys on this forum, they'd be angry about the camper.

DJI marketed the Mavic as doing very specific things. The fact that it can perform tasks above and beyond that should be celebrated not derided because it won't do even more.

I doubt very highly that DJI's goal with restrictions is to upset their customers. I'm not even convinced that it's completely motivated by their desire to ingratiate themselves with the gov'ts of the world. I think that it has more to do with data. Data they've collected over the years that shows what factors preceded loss incidents. The height restriction, for example, may have been at least partially derived from what the maximum height DJI can be confident you won't lose your drone to errant wind currents or signal loss. It certainly isn't to appease the 400' FAA reg, now is it?

These are illegal fishermen in Baja California area (northern Sea of Cortez). There are in a strict no-fishing zone, at night, setting nets. They are after the Totoaba (like a large sea bass) that are being harvested solely for their bladders for the Asian market for "medicinal" purposes... Kind of like Rhino horn in Africa, Bear bladder in Russia, etc. The drug cartels are now getting into trafficking the Totoaba bladders, and now apparently are upping the ante carrying fire arms on board (also strictly illegal in Mexico).

Oh...I thought it was those whale guys... I wonder why they don't just farm raise the stupid fish? Well anyway, thanks for clearing that up!

The Autel Evo looks pretty good. Better camera, and built in video display are big pluses.

The Autel Evo looks pretty good. Better camera, and built in video display are big pluses.
Even being a loooong time DJI owner, I have to agree.

Now all they have to do is deliver some units in the near future, get good reviews and who knows we all might be seeing the the first crack in the DJI dam.

If they also deliver units free of the "unnecessary" and "un-requested" flight control programming that crack will turn out to be much more than just a crack.

Reactions: JMF and dewster
DJI is the largest player in the prosumer drone arena. As such there will be more accessories, support , and knowledge available surrounding the Mavic Pro and other DJI drones versus the Autel offerings.

That alone makes me willing to work around any shortcomings of my Mavic Pro.
Do you really think DJI customer support Is good? Do you mean the same DJI that makes the Mavic & Phantom?

Any one see any Autel comments regarding whether or not the EVO will have built in flight restrictions (i.e. No Fly Zones, Max Height, etc. etc.) like the DJI quads??????

Watching guys in the DJI forums plagued by imposed flight restrictions and the DJI attitude of "we know better than you" about how to fly safely is a HUGE downside to buying a DJI product.

To be honest its also becoming more and more worrisome about Autel not being able to commit to a production date for the first EVO. All the "marketing" reasons given in the above video (and since CES) almost certainly hide problems they're having.

Autel has a great opportunity of taking a lot of "long time" customers away from DJI.... they just have to be more honest about whats happening behind the scenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78