Votes: 167 56.0%
  • No.

Votes: 72 24.2%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 59 19.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my Mavic Pro, but I'd get the Evo before the new Mavic Air.

Lol, yep !

I mean it's close now...besides, the Air is something I can order right now...and I've been so tempted! Once the Mavic Pro 2 or as some like to call it, the Mavic Air Pro comes out I'll probably light my pants on fire from pulling out my wallet so fast!!

Reactions: JMF
I love my Mavic Pro, but I'd get the Evo before the new Mavic Air.
Even with the uncertainties that both the Air and EVO pose, I definitely agree with you.

Given the luke warm reception the Air has received on the official DJI threads I think a lot of pilots flying DJI products might be thinking the same thing. Compared to the Mavic launch, the Air launch was almost a non-event.

What Autel needs now is some favorable press (soon AND on time production deliveries, good user reviews, etc., etc.) to help long time DJI users break away from the mother ship.

Reactions: JMF and Shaggy505
Forget about Autel Evo. At CES 2018 was just an Evo prototype.
At this time there are no production plans for the EVO with the 1-Inch so soon.

Forget about Autel Evo. At CES 2018 was just an Evo prototype.
At this time there are no production plans for the EVO with the 1-Inch so soon.

Psst... Your post was number 211 on this subject.

For me personally, the biggest plus factor for getting the EVO is the fact that (according to Autel's own Tech Support) is that it will have ZERO nanny limitations on it.
No NFZ's or other flight restrictions whatsoever.
For me, thinking about the EVO is simply my extreme displeasure with DJI's incessant force feeding us more and more flight restrictions AFTER date of sale!
There are no legal requirements from the FAA for these DJI limitations, but they keep on coming from DJI.
Imagine if that shiny new sports car that you just spent a bundle on suddenly wouldn't go over 80 mph because of new limits imposed by the manufacturer (not the government) AFTER you bought it.
Would that piss you off??
You bet it would!
That's the key right there.
Just sayin'
:rolleyes:

Reactions: Kilrah
The website was just updated and has more specs on it. The camera will shoot at 100 mbps, same as the Mavic Air.

EVO | Autel Robotics

For me personally, the biggest plus factor for getting the EVO is the fact that (according to Autel's own Tech Support) is that it will have ZERO nanny limitations on it.
For me, thinking about the EVO is simply my extreme displeasure with DJI's incessant force feeding us more and more flight restrictions AFTER date of sale!
There are no legal requirements from the FAA for these DJI limitations, but they keep on coming from DJI.
Imagine if that shiny new sports car that you just spent a bundle on suddenly wouldn't go over 80 mph because of new limits imposed by the manufacturer (not the government) AFTER you bought it.
You bet it would!
Just sayin'
Lets hope that its true.... if the EVO goes the route of no flight restrictions, I for one will plunk down the cash to get away from DJI's "we know what's best for you" attitude.;)

Reactions: Kilrah
You bet it would!
Just sayin'

So you're for reckless driving and flying drones near airports?

(Anyone that knows me, knows that I'm just kidding. )

Last edited:

Have you had flights restricted by DJI where there were no applicable FAA restrictions?

I personally have not had an issue, but that is beside the point I was trying to make, which is that DJI is instituting these many restrictions on their own without ANY government requirement to do so.
I follow the rules and would never jeopardize anyone's safety simply to fly my drone. I'd just go somewhere else.
I just don't think it is right for DJI to act as my NANNY.
I just offered up the scenario of a car company all of a sudden limiting you to 80 or ? mph on their own without any mandate to do so.
That is all.

I know right? I've never been unable to fly because of DJI restrictions in 200 hours of flight.

I personally have not had an issue, but that is beside the point I was trying to make, which is that DJI is instituting these many restrictions on their own without ANY government requirement to do so.
I follow the rules and would never jeopardize anyone's safety simply to fly my drone. I'd just go somewhere else.
I just don't think it is right for DJI to act as my NANNY.
I just offered up the scenario of a car company all of a sudden limiting you to 80 or ? mph on their own without any mandate to do so.
That is all.

Umm my car did have a governor on it. As did my motorcycle. My first Hayabusa was clocked over 200 mph but my second one was electronically restricted to 186 mph. In fact, every newer car I've owned in the last 20 years has had it's top speed restricted by the factory. I've had to buy reprogrammers to remove the speed and performance restrictions placed on them.

I hear what you are saying BUT we ALL pretty much knew UP FRONT what the manufacturer imposed limits or restrictions were at the time that we bought those vehicles, and that's perfectly OK.
My gripe with DJI's method is that they keep adding NEW and more restrictive limits on our quads for no legally mandated reason whatsoever.
How would we feel if the the car or motorcycle manufacturers started to force FW updates on us that LOWER the top speed limits of our vehicles against our wishes? Nobody would be happy about that.
However that is exactly what DJI is doing. And now, I have read somewhere that DJI may limit your quad to Beginner mode (?) UNLESS you update to the very latest FW. I hope that doesn't happen but it is most certainly possible for them to do this.
:(

I hear what you are saying BUT we ALL pretty much knew UP FRONT what the manufacturer imposed limits or restrictions were at the time that we bought those vehicles, and that's perfectly OK.
My gripe with DJI's method is that they keep adding NEW and more restrictive limits on our quads for no legally mandated reason whatsoever.
How would we feel if the the car or motorcycle manufacturers started to force FW updates on us that LOWER the top speed limits of our vehicles against our wishes? Nobody would be happy about that.
However that is exactly what DJI is doing. And now, I have read somewhere that DJI may limit your quad to Beginner mode (?) UNLESS you update to the very latest FW. I hope that doesn't happen but it is most certainly possible for them to do this.
:(

Nope... This may be my fault for sure but I had no idea that the 1997 Chevy S10 I purchased was going to be restricted to 80 mph before I bought it.

In any case, I agree as far as the people who purchased the Mavic before the restrictions, I refer you to your own argument as to the people who purchased after the restrictions. You all are honestly concerned without reason. I've never been unable to fly wherever I've chosen and have barely even seen a warning. I don't think this was some evil move on DJI's part but a calculated decision to try and clean up the public's image of drones, in general and their products in particular. "We don't prevent you from flying near airports" may be an attractive advertising campaign for people like yourself but to the general public that's looking to purchase a drone for their kid, not so much. Being able to claim that their products can't be used near airports, hospitals, stadiums, etc is a smart move for DJI in my opinion. I'm honestly surprised that they don't limit height to 400' considering that is part of the FAA's restrictions as well. Heck, if they really wanted to "nanny" us they'd limit range to a distance that an average person can see their drone to conform to the VLOS restriction.

I know I'm a DJI fanboy but quite honestly, I feel like they struck a decent balance between "nanny" and "reckless" with their restrictions. Besides, it's not as if the restrictions can't be gotten around by anyone with a little time and a computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78