DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New awaited firmware, big brother is watching closer each day... I am paranoid.

• Thread starter Deleted member 109934
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109934

I did the app and firmware update, took good 10min, but went smoothly, put it simply it does work.

I have very mixed feelings about what's coming. Call me paranoid, but I have seen a lot of unregulated things going through the regulation process, never ends well for average Joe.

After the update, I want to take off in my house I get prompt to enter cell number, after entering cell they have send me 6 digit authorization number after entering it, I got stuck at the following screen:

IMG_6629.PNG

I'm sure it will work if I check all the boxes. But let's face it for how long?

1. I'm just 17 years old kid that got MM for Christmas form my dad (not true in my case but...) am I qualified to fly? How do I know if I am qualified or not? As long as checking gets me in the air, I will check it all; it has to be checked.

2. Can I assume liability if I'm not an adult? Better yet, even as an adult, this checkbox is total legal baloney at this moment (at this moment)

3. I wonder what device hardware information DJI wants to get from me; they don't already have? Are those synced logs? Are logs going to DJI or somewhere else? Does anyone know what data is being uploaded? Is it just for this flight or all the past flights and future flights?

This update looks like preparation for something to come, few scenarios:
  1. You will need to pay for unlocking of anything, and then still can be capped at distance and elevation.
  2. Unlock available only to people with some special advanced license and flight test passed. (current law in Cad)
  3. It does not look like the protection and safety of planes, even tho it is sold to us like that; it seems more like future drone delivery services/interest protection and securing of the sky for themself by slow elimination of hobbysts.
  4. Once commercial delivery drones are in the air, none of us will be able to unlock anything, as they will get priority.
I think it is the last minute of drone usage as we know, a few years from now; nobody will be flying anywhere (maybe with some small exceptions)

How do you guys feel about this?

personally i am just going to fly my drones as much as i am able till
(A) my health prevents me from doing it any more
(B) big brother prevents me from doing it any more
(C) i cant do it anymore because im dead
i am sure not going to spend what time i have left worrying about it

Old Mavic Mini again thanks for sober advice.
I think it is good to approach to live in general, since this is not even close to a tightly regulated environment, each day on the ground is one day less in the sky, one less crapy video of some bush from the sky.

I'm gonna go for it now, fly out of my bedroom window straight into the backyard in blue zone:) In case I get the text back about violating something as not qualified etc... I will just ignore it and pretend I didn't see it ;)

I know I'm paranoid, but the regulations are coming to US, you will have what we have in Cad or worst... just saying.

Check this video:

I think it is good to approach to live in general, since this is not even close to a tightly regulated environment, each day on the ground is one day less in the sky, one less crapy video of some bush from the sky.

I'm gonna go for it now, fly out of my bedroom window straight into the backyard in blue zone:) In case I get the text back about violating something as not qualified etc... I will just ignore it and pretend I didn't see it ;)

I know I'm paranoid, but the regulations are coming to US, you will have what we have in Cad or worst... just saying.

Check this video:

i know about all that stuff i have watched that one, and Bruce's very good one on his xjet channel as far as drone delivery in urban and city areas is concerned, i think that the complexity of making it safe and reliable is something that is eons away from reality, there will be areas where it is possible but not any time soon

i know about all that stuff i have watched that one, and Bruce's very good one on his xjet channel as far as drone delivery in urban and city areas is concerned, i think that the complexity of making it safe and reliable is something that is eons away from reality, there will be areas where it is possible but not any time soon

So after checking all checkboxes, I was able to take off..., what is interesting: message said: to receive license I will have to provide my driver license, drone operator license or permit from company I work for, and a bunch of other stuff (obviously commercial stuff). I have switched the phone to the airplane and started to fly, it was windy so after a few mins I decided to come back and not to push my luck in 2019.

for time being I'm able to take off, but when I check for the license in Profile -> settings -> Unlock GPS zone license was not there. During all the flights.

I just checked 20min later and I have a licence valid for one day, unlocking type self unlocking.

Yup your paranoid

paranoid, yes BUT, big brother is getting closer and closer to that 1964 period ( if you are old enough to remember the movie) where the government controls "EVERYTHING IN YOUR LIFE" they will get you a little at a time. It's coming folks, I"m 87 and I can see the changes coming, little by little happening now.

DJI has had geofencing for a few years. It was last year they refined it to be more than circles, and include authorization zones (blue zones). They then added altitude zones (grey zones). It's restricted zones (red) that you need to apply online for unlock codes after submitting proper documentation.

Gents- I can see where adding certain perspectives allows one to believe "Big Brother" is getting more dangerous. The truth is, and I've been a network professional for multiple decades, we've all been on the grid for a very, very long time. I'm not condoning that; I'm saying there is little we can do about it except go on living the best lives we can.

The total amount of data in the possession of many (many, many) government and corporate entities is so cosmically vast that the problem "they" have is how to reduce the virtually infinite amount of information into discrete small piles and from there, how to prioritize them into something nefarious to the average citizen. Each of our digital bread crumbs has been recorded in thousands of places, and yet, you are no closer to being "picked off" than you were decades ago.

Live on, do the best you can, and your life will be pretty normal. Spend more time outside with your drone and less time worrying about what you see online, nearly all of which is not at all what you may believe it is. What reasonable alternative do you/we have?

Gents- I can see where adding certain perspectives allows one to believe "Big Brother" is getting more dangerous. The truth is, and I've been a network professional for multiple decades, we've all been on the grid for a very, very long time. I'm not condoning that; I'm saying there is little we can do about it except go on living the best lives we can.

The total amount of data in the possession of many (many, many) government and corporate entities is so cosmically vast that the problem "they" have is how to reduce the virtually infinite amount of information into discrete small piles and from there, how to prioritize them into something nefarious to the average citizen. Each of our digital bread crumbs has been recorded in thousands of places, and yet, you are no closer to being "picked off" than you were decades ago.

Live on, do the best you can, and your life will be pretty normal. Spend more time outside with your drone and less time worrying about what you see online, nearly all of which is not at all what you may believe it is. What reasonable alternative do you/we have?

AMEM BROTHER

there are those that are paranoid about red light cameras taken there picture, so much so they voted to have them removed,
You go into a store (Walmart's for instance) look up, cameras everywhere, just not Walmart, (just about every store you go into),
Where I live just about every one has security cameras, they are everywhere,
You check out at the self check out, the computer takes your picture,
You get your picture taken hundreds of times a day.
when you check out at the store they scan you groceries, it gets recorded in a computer, the Government can look up to see how many rolls of toilet paper you bought .
I could go on and on,
Paranoid, (not me), I just know what's going on and except it.
My moto, change things you can, except things you can't.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

After the update, I want to take off in my house I get prompt to enter cell number, after entering cell they have send me 6 digit authorization number after entering it, I got stuck at the following screen:

IMG_6629.PNG

At least you can see where you need to accept on DJI Fly app.
DJI GO 4, there are thin navy blue circle/s on a black background you have to tap.
Easy to see in the sunlight (sarcasm off)

Reactions: DarrylC

Check this video:

I’ve been trying to find statistics on drones causing physical harm or significant property damage. Up to now I’ve only come up with a smattering of such accidents and certainly not worthy of draconian laws regulating drones. I’m come to the realization that some people in the FAA and elsewhere just don’t like drones at all and not because they’re inherently dangerous.

I’ve been trying to find statistics on drones causing physical harm or significant property damage. Up to now I’ve only come up with a smattering of such accidents and certainly not worthy of draconian laws regulating drones. I’m come to the realization that some people in the FAA and elsewhere just don’t like drones at all and not because they’re inherently dangerous.
there are those that just get bored and find fault with everything

DJI has had geofencing for a few years. It was last year they refined it to be more than circles, and include authorization zones (blue zones). They then added altitude zones (grey zones). It's restricted zones (red) that you need to apply online for unlock codes after submitting proper documentation.
when the message on my iPad pops up that I'm in a no fly zone and I agree to unlock, my drone, it won't start up, however if I delete this massage, my drone will start up and fly, ???????????? works every time. I will just keep deleting this message every time it pops up.

imho (A) and (C) are somewhat related to each other, death being a rather unhealthy situation.

Reactions: old man mavic
paranoid, yes BUT, big brother is getting closer and closer to that 1964 period ( if you are old enough to remember the movie) where the government controls "EVERYTHING IN YOUR LIFE" they will get you a little at a time. It's coming folks, I"m 87 and I can see the changes coming, little by little happening now.
1984...just saying

200+ years ago patriots threw tea into the harbor in Boston Massachusetts because the government was taxing something they shouldn’t have had any control over. Today we have college “safe places” for students to escape the harsh world of differing viewpoints! As I had said many times, we have become a nation of slaves to the Government that tax and control nearly every aspect of our lives. If they didn’t need us to run their industries and pluck the silver from our pockets, we’d have government sanctioned birth control. Perhaps this isn’t the place for such conversations, but it is only going to get worse! Even our recreation is being controlled and they don’t want us to be TOO free thinking.

Reactions: Colberado
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78