DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Bill Introduced Banning DJI In US is Serious - With FCC Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGLDSR73

Reactions
The second article is a total US Gov't break with DJI with an FCC ban. While the article clearly states a ban on use by the US Government and it's Contractors, a side punch is added with "...and prohibit the FCC from authorizing its equipment.". That's me, you, and John Doe next door. Whether existing DJI drones would be Grandfathered is not stated. But parts, et al., could no longer be had if this new Bill passes Congress.

Having just purchased a Mini 3 Pro and RC Controller I really don't want to find myself stuck with a paperweight.

Arkansas the Latest State to Implement DJI Drone Ban

More Disturbing:

House Republicans Take Aim at DJI Drones

If my understanding of the articles is correct your thread's title exaggerates the situation.
The aim of the legislation is to ban the use of DJI drones for 'government' work.
It is not aimed at banning DJI drones from USA airspace.

The title exaggerates nothing. Please re-read what I wrote:

"While the article clearly states a ban on use by the US Government and it's Contractors, a side punch is added with "...and prohibit the FCC from authorizing its equipment.".

I also stated that it's a ban on the US Government and it's Contractors from buying and using them.

The side kick to DJI's gut would be an outright FCC Ban. What is not clarified is if that FCC ban is only for the Gov't and it's Contractors or an outright FCC ban. Given the structure of the sentence and that DJI is in the Government's crosshairs I would suspect the latter.

And if an outright FCC ban, then they do not fly. Period.

Reactions: jjbbrewer and Jon A
If my understanding of the articles is correct your thread's title exaggerates the situation.
The aim of the legislation is to ban the use of DJI drones for 'government' work.
It is not aimed at banning DJI drones from USA airspace.
Perhaps you didn't completely read the second article, which states:

The addition of DJI to the Covered List would prevent it from doing business with the U.S. government and its contractors and prohibit the FCC from authorizing its equipment.

If the FCC is prohibited from authorizing DJI's equipment, wouldn't that affect any (new) DJI drone?

Reactions: LGLDSR73

If the FCC is prohibited from authorizing DJI's equipment, wouldn't that affect any (new) DJI drone?
Thank you, DJ Wes, for pointing that out for him as well. Yes, if the FCC bans them they do not fly unless current units for civilians are Grandfathered.

Reactions: Jon A

I took that to mean for FCC or government use etc..
If FCC authorisation relates to saying the equipment meets or does not meet FCC regulations then why not simply ban the importation and sale of DJI drones?

If FCC authorisation relates to saying the equipment meets or does not meet FCC regulations then why not simply ban the importation and sale of DJI drones?
In part, my bolding for emphasis:

"April 26, 2023
Washington, D.C. – Congresswoman Elise Stefanik and Congressman Mike Gallagher (R-WI) introduced the Countering CCP Drones Act, legislation that would add Chinese drone company Da-Jiang Innovations (DJI) to the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) Covered List, meaning that DJI technologies would be prohibited from operating on U.S. communications infrastructure."

Above taken from this link.

How would the FCC know or control who can or who cannot buy or use a product that is (or is not) authorized?

I don't know. I'm not the one coming up with these rules. Like everyone else here, I'm just reading what has been written and trying to make sense of it.

Reactions: bitsbytes
How would the FCC know or control who can or who cannot buy or use a product that is (or is not) authorized?

I don't know. I'm not the one coming up with these rules. Like everyone else here, I'm just reading what has been written and trying to make sense of it.
Let's not forget that it would have to be passed by Congress. That could take three lifetimes. Things didn't get this serious until China flew their balloon(s) into US Airspace on 28-JAN-23. The iron hammer in it though is the FCC should that Bill pass.

With respect to: "How would the FCC know or control who can or who cannot buy or use a product that is (or is not) authorized?".

But "How"?

Hypothetically speaking:

(1) You're flying your Drone and it aggravates your neighbor.
(2) He calls the Police. On the off chance the responding Officer knows of this FCC Ban and inquires what Brand.
(3) You say "DJI".
(4) He informs you that they're illegal and hands you a Court Summons.
(5) At your appearance the Judge will likely know of the FCC DJI Ban or be informed by the Officer.
(6) Judge is then bound by Law to notify the FCC - a Federal Agency.
(7) Take out a Second Mortgage for your Attorney.

You do NOT want to use a product that is against FCC regulations. Loosely speaking (lest anyone jump all over me) they could find you in violation of FCC Part 15, a $10,000.00 USD fine and imprisonment for up to one year. (From the Web. I am NOT an Attorney). Depends on how far they want to take it. Does the FCC feel like sending a message to everyone else?

US owned GPS (a.k.a. GNSS) satellites could be programmed to jam the appropriate frequency.

Last edited:
This would only affect New DJI drones the Current line up already have been approved by the FCC just check the stickers on the drones and controllers. I have worked in the Federal govt and know how they operate. Those units that already have FCC approval would keep that approval. New units have to get approval from FCC and FAA. Before they could be Importted. That is why you can find out what DJI may sell here in the States because they need to get FCC OK to sell them in US Market. One way to know when a New DJI Drone is coming is to watch FCC website for new approvals.

Reactions: @Rip and Torque

US owned GPS (a.k.a. GNSS) satellites could be programmed to jam the appropriate frequency.

This is the first time I ever heard of such possibility. Can you point to a source with more details about how exactly to achieve that?

Even if it's possible, this single-minded kill-switch option could lead to all sorts of unexpected, disastrous result.

One example is the Russia-Ukraine war. There are literally thousands, if not tens of thousands of modified DJI drones flighting in the frontline. How could GPS satellites differentiate between the drones owned by the Ukraines, v.s. the drones own by the Russians?

Oh No!!! Seventh seal! Four horsemen!!! Chicken Little was right!!! Maybe my drones will be sucked up in the Rapture before I have to sell them?

This would only affect New DJI drones the Current line up already have been approved by the FCC just check the stickers on the drones and controllers. I have worked in the Federal govt and know how they operate. Those units that already have FCC approval would keep that approval. New units have to get approval from FCC and FAA. Before they could be Importted. That is why you can find out what DJI may sell here in the States because they need to get FCC OK to sell them in US Market. One way to know when a New DJI Drone is coming is to watch FCC website for new approvals.
Thanks 13+Dragons! Good point but the FCC can rescind prior approvals, and most certainly can and will when it comes to any issue whatsoever with respect to National Security. And that is what they're concerned about.

That said, are the Chipsets in a 2021 DJI product the same in a 2023 Model? Who knows.

I worked for the largest US D.O.D. Contractor on the planet for many years. What I saw goes to my grave with me and that was made clear at each Briefing and again at Debriefing. Trust me, it's National Security first and foremost, as it should be.

This is the first time I ever heard of such possibility. Can you point to a source with more details about how exactly to achieve that?

Even if it's possible, this single-minded kill-switch option could lead to all sorts of unexpected, disastrous result.

One example is the Russia-Ukraine war. There are literally thousands, if not tens of thousands of modified DJI drones flighting in the frontline. How could GPS satellites differentiate between the drones owned by the Ukraines, v.s. the drones own by the Russians?

"Even if it's possible".

Remember this?

The FCC news not totally new. That nutjob Brendan Carr (FCC Commisioner) already threatened DJI with an FCC ban when he was on a Twitter rant about robot dogs, the safety need to be able to kick over robot dogs and how watching movies like the Terminator and iRobot are equivilant to a college degree in robotics. And no, I am not making this up.

I think if people are getting that worried about this, someone should come up with a US based or EU based company that can complete head to had with DJI. Make a brand that is just as good if not better and compete with DJI. I know there are a lot of Chinaphobes out there, and rightly so, but they should realize that DJI is a brand that is manufactured in China. Not a Chinese govt. or military based company. Maybe DJI needs to move its operation out of CCP. Just saying

So, what about the countless UNSOLD units at Best buy, etc just sitting around in the US already? No, I don't think they will just cut off our drones out of nowhere. They will just stop importing if anything. I mean, theres a lot of stock already over here in stores, warehouses, etc. Thats a ton of dough...
I hate these congressional "representatives."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown