DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

It seems NO DJI drones have been approved for the Advanced Certification.
See list of approved here: Choosing the right drone - Transport Canada
DJI has yet to submit a letter confirming RPAS compliance with the legislation.
Do any of DJI's drones even compare to those on the list?

(Wonder if the companies listed might have helped write the legislation to limit lower priced competition. )

This is the section that had me scratching my head. The part (b).

"
Maximum Altitude
901.25 (1)
Subject to subsection (2), no pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft at an altitude greater than

• (a) 400 feet (122 m) AGL; or
  • (b) 100 feet (30 m) above any building or structure, if the aircraft is being operated at a distance of less than 200 feet (61 m), measured horizontally, from the building or structure."
I looked at that and thought - I wish we had it written that plain here in the UK! I'd take that to mean, that if you were flying from a 400 ft building, you can fly up to an altitude of 500 ft AGL anywhere above the building, or within an airspace 'box' defined by a distance of 200 ft out from the walls of that building.
Quite different than the UK, where we'd have to give that building a 50 metre clearance 'bubble' if it were standing on its own, and a 150 metre berth if it were in a populated built-up area, and that would also mean that we couldn't overfly it, as we'd be exceeding 120 metres max altitude allowed.

I looked at that and thought - I wish we had it written that plain here in the UK! I'd take that to mean, that if you were flying from a 400 ft building, you can fly up to an altitude of 500 ft AGL anywhere above the building, or within an airspace 'box' defined by a distance of 200 ft out from the walls of that building.
Quite different than the UK, where we'd have to give that building a 50 metre clearance 'bubble' if it were standing on its own, and a 150 metre berth if it were in a populated built-up area, and that would also mean that we couldn't overfly it, as we'd be exceeding 120 metres max altitude allowed.
Hmmmm.
I interpret that to be not above 400' agl at any time and if above a building (etc) must not be more than 100' above it.
If the building is 50' high the limit would be 150' agl. If it is 350' high the limit would be 400' agl. If it is 450' high then perhaps thunderdrones gets some business. :)

Reactions: FoxhallGH
This seems to make sense to me. May require more clarification but I believe you are correct.

In the US they can fly above 400sgl if it's within a distance to a buildingid imagine our system adopted their rules.. Wanna fly above 400agl?fly no more than 100ft above a building within 200ft..

For those of us who are US citizens that visit Canada regularly (living on the border) the application for us as "foreign fliers" is quite extensive if not prohibitive.

Last edited:
For those of who are US citizens that visit Canada regularly (living on the border) the application for us as "foreign fliers" is quite extensive if not prohibitive.
I visit Canada with my Mavic every summer from the UK , how will these rules etc apply to me ?
Thanks for any info .

I also travel in Canada and planning a trip through the Meritimes this summer. I sure hope the confusion gets ironed out so I can use my drone while traveling through some of the great and picturesque parts of North America.

I also travel in Canada and planning a trip through the Meritimes this summer. I sure hope the confusion gets ironed out so I can use my drone while traveling through some of the great and picturesque parts of North America.
I live in the US but usually spend about 2 months in BC for work (a week or two at a time) , I don't mind taking a test and whatnot but if I have to pay for temporary permits each time that will be quite annoying. I'm part 107 certified in the US and want to operate legally, but TC needs to help us make that happen...

With this shiny new USMCA agreement 107 should be legal in Canada and vice versa, like a driver's licence
Are you saying that it is, or agreeing that we wish that's how it should be? To get the part 107 you have to pay 150$ and go to a proctered exam site. I've already proven I understand the operations and mechanics, so Canada should just have an add on exam that shows I understand their regulation and then I'd be all good. At the very least let non residents do the test and everything like residents are able to.

With this shiny new USMCA agreement 107 should be legal in Canada and vice versa, like a driver's licence
I hold a private pilot license in the US. It is honored in Canada but a UAV 107 certificate might not be. Interesting!!!

Hmm .
I went to the section for applying for a temp visitor license and it stated only for drones over 25 KG .
Think ill get back to it in about 4 months lol .

More, more, more....
We need more example questions like that!
You do realize..that by posting those questions that you are in breach of the agreement you digitally signed when you applied to write the exam...so Transport Canada could smack you upside the head and maybe revoke your license....

Are urban ops allowable under the basic permit though? Jeez it’s as clear as mud to me:confused:
It's pretty clear I think if you read it and look at the diagram they posted. Outside the airports or helicopters area, and away from people 30m. Then of course you will need to look up the bylaws in your area. So some urban places are you allowed to fly

Any one can help me out for free resources from where I can study and take the certificate thanks

Comming into effect this summer. Drones must have liability insurance and you need to be licenced to go above 90m. I'm not looking forward to this

From the little I've read so far, the new rules will be substantially less onerous than they were shaping up to be.

Could it be that when we attended the meetings in Sept. 2017 that TC actually listened to us?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird