DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Drone Regulations 1st July 2020

Andrew1977

Reactions
I've seen a website today talking about the new drone regulations in the UK from 1st July 2020

It says from 1st July at a weight of 249g you will be able to overfly people and fly in congested areas but then underneath it says "The Mavic Mini doesn't qualify as it's max take off mass exceeds 250g"

Is that right?

Also any drone with a camera will need to be registered?

Delayed until at least Nov 2020, and quite likely "MTOM" will not be used and instead the definition will be "flying weight". HAve alook at the recent video posted elsewhere on here:

According to the DJI specifications the Take off weight of the MM is 249 g
Unless you add something to it to increase the weight to the maximum take off weight I dont see a problem.

Reactions: fificap
The current situation is the MM will require registration from 1st Nov 2020, but can be used indefinitely in category A1. If nothing changes again in the draft rules update this is quite good news for MM owners. You'll legally be able to fly in your back garden in town, in the park etc where you currently may not be allowed to.

The current situation is the MM will require registration from 1st Nov 2020, but can be used indefinitely in category A1. If nothing changes again in the draft rules update this is quite good news for MM owners. You'll legally be able to fly in your back garden in town, in the park etc where you currently may not be allowed to.
Yes that is good news, and you wont need to get your neighbours permission to fly etc

The "flying weight" of an unmodified MM with no prop cages on is 249g. The MTOM is undefined (DJI would need to define it, as the maker of the drone) but would likely be over 250g as it is designed that it can be flown with the prop cages on.

MTOM is probably not going to be used in the UK rules for legacy aircraft.

Reactions: Andrew1977
There is a 50m distance rule currently in place.
Don't forget there's also a 150m distance rule, which very often is the more applicable one. The 50m rule only really comes into play if you are out in the hills/fields and away from towns/parks. Some people have easy access to such areas but many don't.

Reactions: Andrew1977
It's clear for me now, thank you.
Are there the same or similar rules in other European countries?
Because...that basically means that you can't fly anywhere in town. Anywhere. Even in parks. And even outside of the town is not always easy to find route where there are no people and buildings in 50m around. It's quite limiting :(

Reactions: scro
I believe most other Euro countries have very similar rules, with minor variations. Agree that they are very restrictive. I have a Tello that weighs less than 1/4 an average town pigeon (ie 80g), and can only fly to 30m altitude and approx 100m horizontal distance. I can't legally fly it in my back garden, nor at the local park or playing fields without having to spend significant time, effort and money in getting the right permissions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan