DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot - Disappointed

jeppyboi

Reactions
Hey guys,

I recently bought a Mavic air a couple weeks ago and I live in Sydney Australia. I have researched the rules and regulations after buying the drone and i never realized they so many restrictions. Basically most of Sydney is off limits too flying your drone. Sydney is dotted with many hospitals with helicopter landing pads which makes much of majority Sydney beaches off limits. You are not allowed to fly your drone is it weighs over 100g with a 5.5km radius of these hospitals. Even some of the national park reserves ban the flying of Drones.
This has put me off flying my drone which is kind off a big let down. If I have only read up more on rules and regulations of flying drones in Sydney before buying, I probably wouldn't have bought one.
Anyone Mavic pilots in Sydney with some advice? Only thing I can think is driving 45 mins to an hour to these destinations with no restrictions, which doesn't leave me with much choice.

You could also get a Mavic Pro, and following the guides on the internet, disable all that nonsense and spyware. This may be offputting to the sheeple who never jaywalk, or drive over the speed limit, but for those of us that bristle at over-regulation, there is a sensible alternative. I accept responsibility for my actions, and place a high value on the safety of others. Those restrictions are necessary for all the ( Mod Removed) who lack any sense, but you don't seem like a( Mod Removed ).... ;-) I think if they outlawed pooping, some people would swell up and die.

Don't let the safetycrats get you down. Pick your spots and fly cautiously. Planes and helicopters don't fly at 200' AGL unless they are landing or crashing. Flying below the height of the tallest building is usually OK, but situational awareness is key. I have flight tracker on my notebook, and watch for incoming aircraft.

I wouldn't even consider a Mavic 2 unless they develop a successful hack to break the chains from DJI. I like their drones, but despise their business decisions. I hope you can enjoy your drone in the Peoples Republic of Sydney.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd suggest OP researches the Australian drone laws a bit more. Having a heliport within 5.5km does not mean it's a NFZ....
Getting the CASA app 'Can I Fly There' will indicate the absolute NFZ's and also the area's that are warning area's, where you can fly, subject to conditions.
You can see that it is busy, but you can, if you are smart, find somewhere to fly. (obeying Casa's rules.)
Untitled.jpg
Zoom in a bit, and you can see that you cant fly over the Opera house or The Bridge.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
helicopters don't fly at 200' AGL unless they are landing or crashing.
Total ( Mod Removed ) You apparently don't know what your saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

I recently bought a Mavic air a couple weeks ago and I live in Sydney Australia. I have researched the rules and regulations after buying the drone and i never realized they so many restrictions. Basically most of Sydney is off limits too flying your drone. Sydney is dotted with many hospitals with helicopter landing pads which makes much of majority Sydney beaches off limits. You are not allowed to fly your drone is it weighs over 100g with a 5.5km radius of these hospitals. Even some of the national park reserves ban the flying of Drones.
This has put me off flying my drone which is kind off a big let down. If I have only read up more on rules and regulations of flying drones in Sydney before buying, I probably wouldn't have bought one.
Anyone Mavic pilots in Sydney with some advice? Only thing I can think is driving 45 mins to an hour to these destinations with no restrictions, which doesn't leave me with much choice.

The maps you've displayed are similar to those used in the US.
At first, for all of us, it seems like there is no where to fly, but I see several areas you can squeeze in.

Regarding the yellow areas, in the US, if it is actually NFZ, then DJI app will not allow you to take off. You cannot start the motors. Otherwise, we have to check a box that states we accept responsibility, then fly.
Generally, we are locked down from class C or D airspace - airports with a control tower.

Until I started flying a drone, I had no idea there were so many small airports in the town I live in. But, most are in class E airspace (no control tower, maybe akin to the yellow areas of your map), and DJI does not lock us down.

Reasonably confident DJI has worked with the FAA and LAANC to better define approved airspace, which from my observation is improving regularly for drone pilots. Some believe it's the other way around. I disagree.

Only occasionally, do I fly above 200'. Not because I have reservation of doing so, but because the video is more attractive at 125 to 150'. In the US, drones are to stay below 400', and manned aircraft above 500'. There' room for everyone.

Ultimately, if you were to fly in Sydney for a year or more, you would want to get out of town, anyway. You will become bored with the same old, same old.

So, I recommend you don't sell the drone, but figure out where you can squeeze in, and spread out. In time, you'll discover there are more approved areas than there are restricted areas. These may not be epic, but everyone' already seen the epic.

Warning: Rant - I can appreciate protections for medical heliports, and commercial airports, but I don't understand why hobby airports are sacred ground. Hobby airplane pilots pose considerably more risk to society/communities, then drones do. I don't believe the Federal Transportation Safety Board has spent millions of dollars investigating a drone crash as they do annually with small manned aircraft. Why is that hobby afforded protection?

BTW in the US, you cannot takeoff, or land in national parks, but you can fly over them. For me, they're not worth arguing over the law' fine print. Besides, as I stated previously, the epic has already been done.

The maps you've displayed are similar to those used in the US.
At first, for all of us, it seems like there is no where to fly, but I see several areas you can squeeze in.

Regarding the yellow areas, in the US, if it is actually NFZ, then DJI app will not allow you to take off. You cannot start the motors. Otherwise, we have to check a box that states we accept responsibility, then fly.
Generally, we are locked down from class C or D airspace - airports with a control tower.

Until I started flying a drone, I had no idea there were so many small airports in the town I live in. But, most are in class E airspace (no control tower, maybe akin to the yellow areas of your map), and DJI does not lock us down.

Reasonably confident DJI has worked with the FAA and LAANC to better define approved airspace, which from my observation is improving regularly for drone pilots. Some believe it's the other way around. I disagree.

Only occasionally, do I fly above 200'. Not because I have reservation of doing so, but because the video is more attractive at 125 to 150'. In the US, drones are to stay below 400', and manned aircraft above 500'. There' room for everyone.

Ultimately, if you were to fly in Sydney for a year or more, you would want to get out of town, anyway. You will become bored with the same old, same old.

So, I recommend you don't sell the drone, but figure out where you can squeeze in, and spread out. In time, you'll discover there are more approved areas than there are restricted areas. These may not be epic, but everyone' already seen the epic.

Warning: Rant - I can appreciate protections for medical heliports, and commercial airports, but I don't understand why hobby airports are sacred ground. Hobby airplane pilots pose considerably more risk to society/communities, then drones do. I don't believe the Federal Transportation Safety Board has spent millions of dollars investigating a drone crash as they do annually with small manned aircraft. Why is that hobby afforded protection?

BTW in the US, you cannot takeoff, or land in national parks, but you can fly over them. For me, they're not worth arguing over the law' fine print. Besides, as I stated previously, the epic has already been done.

In Australia you can fly near any airport that does not have a control tower, which is the vast majority. Same for heliports.

The only requirement is that you get out of the way if you become aware of an aircraft operating from the airport/heliport. (Some heliports and busy non controlled airfield do have associated no fly zones but they are generally small) All the details are on the "Can I fly their" app published by CASA. Be very careful if you use Airmap as it can be very misleading.

Reactions: ssvdh66
You could also get a Mavic Pro, and following the guides on the internet, disable all that nonsense and spyware. This may be offputting to the sheeple who never jaywalk, or drive over the speed limit, but for those of us that bristle at over-regulation, there is a sensible alternative. I accept responsibility for my actions, and place a high value on the safety of others. Those restrictions are necessary for all the ( Mod Removed) who lack any sense, but you don't seem like a( Mod Removed ).... ;-) I think if they outlawed pooping, some people would swell up and die.

Don't let the safetycrats get you down. Pick your spots and fly cautiously. Planes and helicopters don't fly at 200' AGL unless they are landing or crashing. Flying below the height of the tallest building is usually OK, but situational awareness is key. I have flight tracker on my notebook, and watch for incoming aircraft.

I wouldn't even consider a Mavic 2 unless they develop a successful hack to break the chains from DJI. I like their drones, but despise their business decisions. I hope you can enjoy your drone in the Peoples Republic of Sydney.

Holy cow.....
I like the "I'll take the fine or punishment and just do what I want" attitude. But I am sure if it came down to a fine or punishment against you, You would be all "@CanyonRunVideos" on this forum.
Its all fun and games until it effects someone badly.

Just fly the drone and dont get caught..

o_O

This stupid advice could be given about anything.
Just go shoplifting and don't get caught.
Just drive around everywhere at 100mph and don't get caught.
Go murder someone and don't get caught.

It's like the Dexter rules of drone flying.....stick to the code and you'll be fine:rolleyes:

Holy cow.....
I like the "I'll take the fine or punishment and just do what I want" attitude. But I am sure if it came down to a fine or punishment against you, You would be all "@CanyonRunVideos" on this forum.
Its all fun and games until it effects someone badly.

Yea, you're probably right. I pick my spots, and for the most part abide by the laws of the land, although as I get older I tend to view them more as guidelines. I'd imagine if I got a big fine, or even had my stuff confiscated it would probably leave enough of a bad taste in my mouth I'd give up drones, so I am very cautious, since I want to enjoy it for a while yet. I think this may be the golden age of drone flying. Before too long, some fool will take down an aircraft, or fall on a baby then all heck will break loose. I live on the Ohio river, but I'm not supposed to fly over the river (allegedly). I can fly on one side of a bridge, but the other side is within 5 miles of an airport (Roebling bridge in Cincinnati). I respect everyone's opinions here, and they have to live according to their own personal code. I live by the golden rule, and would be haunted for life if I killed someone with my drone, car, or cooking (I like my burgers kind of rare).

On a different note, My neighbor a few doors down thought I was a creeper. I was flying back to my house, and the app crashed on my phone, as it typically does at least once per flight. As I was waiting for the app to reload, it was hovering over their back yard and pool at about 100 feet up. My daughter was talking to them a few weeks later and they mentioned someone with a drone spying on them. Sooooo I went to their house, and explained what had happened, but unless you use these things, what I was saying probably sounded like jibberish. He said he was about to shoot it down, and I said I probably would have done that too. Felt very sheepish about that. Now I fly straight up hundreds of feet till its silent, then zip to the area I want to film, usually nearby soy bean fields with 10 and 12 point bucks. The deer have become used to the "angry bees" sound, and I can get surprisingly close. Some of my footage would give Planet Earth a run for its money ;)

Regards,

Kevin

Reactions: PT_Mavic
o_O

This stupid advice could be given about anything.
Just go shoplifting and don't get caught.
Just drive around everywhere at 100mph and don't get caught.
Go murder someone and don't get caught.

It's like the Dexter rules of drone flying.....stick to the code and you'll be fine:rolleyes:

Wait.

Weren't we talking about flying a 1.5 pounds toy? Why the **** are you comparing it to murdering someone?

Flying your toy won't hurt anyone.

Won't hurt no one huh .
636689046391716668-37751906-2055810661104537-2511130587557789696-n.jpg
And lets get this back on topic guys .

Reactions: ssvdh66 and ac0j
Hey guys,

I live in Australia too and I'm busting to get my hands on an Air. I recently posted a photo from my Tello 20m high and got some backlash lol. Not sure where about a in Sydney but I'd love to fly a drone up the Hawkesbury river. If you get bored or dismayed just post it to me in Bellingen. :p

Thanks guys for all the replies. The CASA app "Can I Fly There" made it kind of confusing. The way they worded It makes you think you cant fly your drone in any of the yellow zones if your drone weighs more then 100g. But thats not really the case.. I had a look at CASA web site and it said this If your drone weighs more than 100 grams:
  • You must keep your drone at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes (usually those with a control tower)
  • You may fly within 5.5km of a non-controlled aerodrome or helicopter landing site (HLS) only if manned aircraft are not operating to or from the aerodrome. If you become aware of manned aircraft operating to or from the aerodrome/ HLS, you must manoeuvre away from the aircraft and land as soon as safely possible. This includes:
    • not operating your drone within the airfield boundary (*without approval)
    • not operating your drone in the approach and departure paths of the aerodrome (*without approval)
So its saying you can fly in the yellow zone with the only condition that you land your drone if you hear or see any helicopters coming to your area. This gives me more options. Having read this I have flown my drone around some of the local ovals when no one was around and ive also flown around Bronte beach area and got some nice video and photos. I have to say it is a lot of fun :)

Reactions: ssvdh66
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000