DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot (ish) checking in (weird mavic air occurance)

ESK

Reactions
Hi all
Not sure if anyone else had had this, but
was in SA in November last year, i usually travel with 2 phones (note 4 and main phone S8) so i can get a local sim and use it in the note 4 then create a wifi hotspot to use with my S8 (SA data costs are exorbitant)
anyways, was looking to fly from the top of the cable way in magaliesberg, got all set up with my S8 plugged into the controller, lifted off and lost connection to the mavic air about 20 feet away, video became choppy and then just froze...... thought the software was out of date so headed back to the hotel and connected to faster wifi. Software was up to date, no probs.... tried again in a nearby park...same issue.
Headed to Cape Town, tried to fly near a place called Misty Cliffs...same issue, lost connection to air, video froze and i decide to call it a day....no footage...pity.

Got back to my Accommodation, Note 4 was out of juice so i was charging it with the phone switched off. Decided to give the air one more shot....
flew fine, no loss of video, no loss of connection to craft after 20 feet..... couldn't work it out...
Finally twigged after i turned my note 4 back on....maybe it was the wifi hotspot that i was connected to with my S8...
connected to wifi hotspot, no connection to mavic air..........disconnected hotspot and restored connection to mavic air.....
AH well...hopefully getting back to SA end of this year.. might be able to get a few descent bits of footage...

anyone else had this sort of problem...?
uhh sorry for long rambling scenario........... ;)

Reactions: Hauptmann
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Reactions: Thomas B

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329