DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot - need advice on lights to use on drone so I can more easily spot it in the sky

And well worth the cost.

As for the Topsun, it doesn't appear for sale anywhere that I could find with cursory Google search. Certainly no longer on Amazon.
The TOPSUN lights are currently showing as in stock here on Amazon.

Reactions: MA2 317

The Arc V cases are rigid hard plastic, completely protecting the circuit board inside. I appreciate you comments about flexing the circuit boards of the Arc II's and smaller strobes each time you remove from velcro. Initially I had the strobes on the arms fastened with elastic bands which work very well and never lost a smaller strobe. I did have one Arc V fall off an arm secured only with velcro and have subsequently added elastic bands. I've never had a strobe dislodge from top or bottom positions. I'm not sure what happened with the one that fell off, but I suspect my small grandson partially dislodged it from the velcro when he went to put it on down for launch. I'll double check for security from now on.
The TOPSUN lights are currently showing as in stock here on Amazon.
I clicked on the link you provided and was redirected to the product shown below.
I actually had the Topsun listed in my previous orders as I had ordered it and canceled it before it arrived, but when I click on it I get the "Sorry" message. A search on Amazon provided the results in the last screen shot.

1606928181904.png

1606928279693.png

1606928454312.png

For those looking at the TOPSUN strobes they are OK and will meet the FAA 3SM requirement. In my tests however they aren't as bright as the Firehouse ARC II, ARC XL and ARC V. These are identical to the boards that Firehouse used in their SPARK strobes a while back. The Firehouse Technology SPARK strobe had a weird aluminum housing but what I did like about them was they had a globe style reflector above the LED's which acted as a magnifier and really helped the brightness of them, the TOPSUN of course doesn't have that. Any of the above mentioned strobes will work to meet Daylight Flight Waiver requirements with the FAA.

Reactions: B52-D and Thomas B
The Spark strobe has limited battery life compared to the Arc-II's. Also that magnifier dome pops off easily so it should be re-glued if necessary. Visually we did a range test and the Arc-II looked a bit brighter. I also use the Arc-V [edit Arc-XL] strobes and closer in you can see it slightly at a 90 degree angle (especially at night) where the Arc-II's require a more direct angle facing you. The Arc-XL strobes are large but have a long run time and have a easy to use switch but are rather large in size. The alarm is also a plus feature on the XL's. I'd venture to say the Arc-II's worst feature is the little power switch that is difficult to operate especially while trying to turn it off.
I velcro mine on and the smaller size is nice. On my MP I run 4 strobes, white bottom, white back, red & green on the sides. I use the Arc-XL as a top strobe sometimes but mainly use them on fixed wing aircraft. The Arc-II's are more professional looking in the mount that Aerial pixel sells but because I use mine on a variety of aircraft, velcro is my choice for EZ movement.

Last edited:
The Spark strobe has limited battery life compared to the Arc-II's. Also that magnifier dome pops off easily so it should be re-glued if necessary. Visually we did a range test and the Arc-II looked a bit brighter. I also use the Arc-V strobes and closer in you can see it slightly at a 90 degree angle (especially at night) where the Arc-II's require a more direct angle facing you. The Arc-V strobes are large but have a long run time and have a easy to use switch but are rather large in size. The alarm is also a plus feature on the V. I'd venture to say the Arc-II's worst feature is the little power switch that is difficult to operate especially while trying to turn it off.
I velcro mine on and the smaller size is nice. On my MP I run 4 strobes, white bottom, white back, red & green on the sides. I use the Arc-V as a top strobe sometimes but mainly use them on fixed wing aircraft. The Arc-II's are more professional looking in the mount that Aerial pixel sells but because I use mine on a variety of aircraft, velcro is my choice for EZ movement.
Hey Dave, you mentioned the ARC V has an alarm, do you mean the ARC XL? Unless Firehouse changed something recently the XL is the only one with the L.A.N.D. alarm system.
Below is the ARC V:

And below is the ARC XL (the latest one has 6 LED's instead of 5)

Yes my mistake. I'm using the XL's and haven't used the Arc-V. Thanks I'll edit the post. I also saw that Firehouse has a very small strobe that has an alarm.

Yes my mistake. I'm using the XL's and haven't used the Arc-V. Thanks I'll edit the post. I also saw that Firehouse has a very small strobe that has an alarm.
Keep in mind that the small L.A.N.D. module does not strobe unless the alarm is activated (after 4 minutes of no motion), so it doesn't do much good for visibility while flying. I'm hoping they do come out with the Dual Strobe with the alarm included, that would be great for smaller drones like the Mini / Mini 2. I'll mention it to Scott at Firehouse when he orders their next batch of mounts from us.
FH LAND Module.jpg

I agree. But if it's as loud as the XL it would be useful...I mean it looks small & I'd even like one w/o a strobe. My buddy lost a racing drone in a stand of oats and it had a Arc-II on it. 10 of us tried to find it but failed. But yeah, why not a brighter version with an alarm.

I live in the Pacific Northwest (aka cloudy alot) and I find it difficult to spot the Mavic Air 2 in the sky when I'm flying until it gets closer to me. It's a grey drone against a grey sky so I struggle to see it well.

I'm wondering if anyone has this issue, and if so, what kind of light(s) you've installed on the MA2 so that it's easier to spot when it's a few hundred feet up in the air. I'd love to hear how you've solved this, what kinds of lights you've used, and where you installed them on the drone.

Thanks much,
PNW flyer.
I have found that for me to see the drone easier, I use these little lights, attached with velcro to the four corners - and it's surprising just how far you can see them both day and night. (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D62VF1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Reactions: A.O.
Thinking about getting an Arc V to mount on the bottom of my Mavic 2 Pro. But I am concerned about the earlier comment about messing up the VPS on the Spark. Has anyone experienced this issue with bottom mounted strobes on the Mavic 2 Pro? Also wondering if any one can comment on potential clearance issue on the bottom of the M2P?

I just purchased THIS thanks to user A.O. It may really help to add one of their numerous skins that benefit you the best. Along with the strobes of course.

Reactions: A.O.
Might also think about a skin, huge difference in being able to see up in the air.

IMG_4585.JPG

I tried ordering the TOPSUN on Amazon just the other day. I was notified of a later delivery than originally given, but when it was finally supposed to be delivered, I got notified that it could not be delivered and was returned to the manufacturer? Anyone have any clues to this? No reason why it could not be delivered to my house. I get deliveries from Amazon all the time. It still shows its available, but mine went back without being delivered to me.

Here are the most commonly used strobe lights:

I make mounts for many of those lights. You can find them in my store here.

View attachment 118173

View attachment 118174

View attachment 118177

Do you have a mount for the TOPSUN? I finally got it delivered, but I dont see a good place to mount it on my Pro platinum. On one of the Arms would be the best bet. Its a lot bigger than I anticipated, and the pictures on the sale page shows in mounting to the front of the Mavic, but its just too big.
Any suggestions?

What happens if you turn both on at the same time?

The topsun mentioned in the above post are far brighter than any of the others.
It (the ad) does not give any specs on the brightness (lumens) that always scares me, if they're so good why don't they list it?

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato