DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Product ! Sound Catching Prop Covers ( Fly more quiet than ever before )

Are you saying this about the OPs product and mine of course? The biggest thing I noticed was a slow down in it's flight speed. The unmodded drones may be quiet, but on approach to home in sport mode at 200ft high I hear them coming when they are at least 400 ft away. buzzzzzzzzz buzzzzzz
Please No more talk about Super Glue props if you need to start your own thread please do so.

I dont want people getting confused as they already are thinking that is what were doing So please stop.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.

Regretfully, the problem with your 4 blade system is it defeats all the technology that DJI incorporated in the drone.

Using a 4 bladed system with 16 blades instead of 8 reduces the drones efficiency. This results in additional drag from the extra 8 blades which the motors now have to deal with. The result is extra drag using more current which lessons the flight time and creates additional heat on the motors. The stock system is perfect- the drone is nearly inaudible at even minimum height. The main processor is going to detect the additional load which will effect the drones performance (and warranty)

Mike

The drag and efficiency is so minimal it remoot:

We fly the Mini with a Rescue Jacket: When it goes into Payload mode you just turn it off. No issues
We also land it in the Water and still no issues , so i doubt the extra weight of the blades at 0.062 g will have much bearing on any of that.

And your wrong about the Warranty : All of our Products are covered under the DJI warranty as well as the
Wet Suits and the Rescue Jackets as will be the Prop Covers. Thank you.

so here is a video of the Mini 2 flying with the Rescue Jacket : Notice how loud it is ! Yuck.

Were not using NASA equipment to measure , just the Phone App DB and 8 to 10 is what it shows on the Hover only as we have shown on another video . 68 db to 73 was the lowest point recorded , and 58 db was the lowest point recorded at the Hover >

So you are saying you are not even using a device designed to measure sound pressure levels? But you are happy to make a claim using a cheap app on a smartphone?

Caveat Emptor!

So you are saying you are not even using a device designed to measure sound pressure levels? But you are happy to make a claim using a cheap app on a smartphone?

Caveat Emptor!
Are cheap phone db apps any good? 2 minutes of searching gives some info.

Caveat Emptor!
"CAVEAT EMPTOR", = buyer beware. In other words: it is the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

I concede, quad blade systems are quieter. I even bet, the drone will respond quicker to stick movements. I've done it, and liked it. Phantom rain has made a quality product. Try it, if it meets your expectations, keep it. Here is to living in the USA. I hope those that make a purchase, will give us their review.

"CAVEAT EMPTOR", = buyer beware. In other words: it is the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.
The buyer is responsible? So we the buyers are QA? I don't think so.

If you read the articles correctly they are all referring to occupational environmental noise levels, ie. indoors, offices etc. The measurements were made in controlled environments and the only ones ‘reasonably’ accurate only came with a calibrated external microphone connected. And even then only one of the apps provided an accuracy close to what is required.

Any measurement is a reference between two values and one of those values needs to be a constant, in this case a noiseless environment (or one where the background noise is constant). A drone in a hover does not provide a constant audio level - the aircraft is constantly trying to remain stationary fighting the force of gravity and it can only do that by varying the lift across its four rotors. And that is assuming the air in the test environment is perfectly still, which it won’t be.

Any claim of a ten-fold reduction in noise level has to be backed by valid measurements by accurate devices in a controlled environment.

And your wrong about the Warranty : All of our Products are covered under the DJI warranty as well as the
Wet Suits and the Rescue Jackets as will be the Prop Covers.
How does that work?
Here's the relevant section of the DJI warranty.
Part I – Limited Warranty
This policy does not cover the following:
× Damage caused by reliability or compatibility issues when using unauthorized third-party parts.
× Failure of, or damage caused by, any third party products, including those that DJI may provide or integrate into the DJI product at your request.

Has DJI approved these products for use with their drones?

How does that work?
Here's the relevant section of the DJI warranty.
Part I – Limited Warranty
This policy does not cover the following:
× Damage caused by reliability or compatibility issues when using unauthorized third-party parts.
× Failure of, or damage caused by, any third party products, including those that DJI may provide or integrate into the DJI product at your request.

Good Question. I was wondering that myself.

The buyer is responsible? So we the buyers are QA? I don't think so.
QA= Quality Assurance. Us consumers are the GPs (look that initialism up) to do their QA for them. Right? NOT. Perhaps this product announcement should be set aside for the time being, until all these QA questions can be adequately addressed.

Perhaps this product announcement should be set aside for the time being, until all these QA questions can be adequately addressed.
That I agree with. GPs? QA needs to do their jobs before it goes out. Sure there might be problems but we are not the ones intended nor should we be intended to be the GPs. That mindset is why so many businesses fail.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZDave
I concede, quad blade systems are quieter. I even bet, the drone will respond quicker to stick movements.

Even different twin blade props make a big difference, different length, tip shape say between the M1P and MPP props.
Then look at MAS with slightly wider, more pitched blades, so much better again.

FPV drones have a staggering array of blades, 3, 4, have seen 16 blade props !! 3", 4", 5" and beyond.

Using a 4 bladed system with 16 blades instead of 8 reduces the drones efficiency.

@Phantomrain.org have you compared flight times, hover stability etc ?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
There are a lot of good questions ,

We have been working with DJI for 3 years and not once ever had an issue with the Rescue jacket or the Wet Suit , and those of us that have been using the Master Screw props have not had any issue either nor the skins with there warranty .

Regards the Professional software :

We think at the end of the day when you measure your Mini 2 from 3ft away you will mark that number based on your mobile app. We used the Decibel meter to just get an average number : it was nice that everyone came up with the same average number 68 .

It was a good number to work with and one everyone can relate to because no one
cares what the numbers will be at NASA SPACE STATION in a ZERO sound environment .

What does matter are my Neighbors and there newborn , LOL its been rough.

These are some of the tests we have yet to do
with the new Sound Catchers :

My only concern is the 15 MPH winds with the 4 Blades, that may be the time for 2 blades.

Flight times : Nope not yet,
Pouring Rain : Not Yet
Lightning Storm Not yet
Long distance : Not yet
Landing in the water Not yet
15 mph winds not yet

But you know us : All that is coming :p and no one test better than we do..

I just wanted to get a feel for the anger and the Love and in this case
there was a lot of love , so that was motivating.

Today we had this tiny sprinkle of rain and took the mini 2 out for a spin just to get her wet and have some fun.

Last edited:
There are a lot of good questions ,

We have been working with DJI for 3 years and not once ever had an issue with the Rescue jacket or the Wet Suit , and those of us that have been using the Master Screw props have not had any issue either nor the skins with there warranty
But that doesn't answer the question.
You've claimed that ... All of our Products are covered under the DJI warranty
That"s a bold claim.

DJI's warranty does not cover:
  • Damage caused by reliability or compatibility issues when using unauthorized third-party parts.
  • Failure of, or damage caused by, any third party products, including those that DJI may provide or integrate into the DJI product at your request.

We used the Decibel meter to just get an average number : it was nice that everyone came up with the same average number 68 .

It was a good number to work with and one everyone can relate to because no one
cares what the numbers will be at NASA SPACE STATION in a ZERO sound environment .

Who cares? Well for a start not many people understand what DeciBels are, how they’re measured, what frequency ranges are tested and what the numbers actually represent and how this relates to the human ear. So how do you expect ‘everyone’ to relate to a number such as 68dB? Do you even know yourself what it represents?

You are making wild technical claims for a product that cannot be backed up with valid technical data. Yet you believe that is ‘Good enough’. Is that a sound way to treat potential customers?

By the way, the Space Station (it’s in the name) is an International product not just NASA. And it is anything but silent - it is one of the noisiest environments that has been put into Earth’s orbit.

Last edited:
Personally I feel for most tests, a decent sound meter for a phone (an app) is reasonably ok, if you are comparing to situation A to situation B, right there, back to back, with X props, and Y props.

If testing something just by itself, it's meaningless of course.

But a side by side should show at least some difference in level of sound, if it's reduced, increased, or same.

@Phantomrain.org had a post here about the tests for the mini 2, I posted reply . . .

Sound checking your Mini 2 in a Hover test ?

That's how I'm going to test my 3 types of M1P props, just to add to how each sounds to the ear.
The meter I downloaded (mentioned in that post) has low and peak Db, and average Db.
I'm also posting the RPMs for each prop type, as I expect there will be some lowering of these in the Platinum and MAS.

By the way, the Space Station (it’s in the name) is an International product not just NASA. And it is anything but silent - it is one of the noisiest environments that has been put into Earth’s orbit.

You made some valid points , and you gave me a Fantastic IDEA ! Thank you !

When everyone that participated in the different forums downloaded the Decibel Meter App which is free by way to download and use >

The over whelming number presented by those that used the app to measure there MINI 2 while it was hovering 3 ft away was 68 DB

NOW 68 DB means a lot to me and the list is to long :oops:

it only makes sense now that I will advertise whatever DB Number they come up with after using the NEW SOUND CATCHERS and the Mobile Decibel Meter App.

One interesting thing to note:

The goal was not to lower the volume as much as to change the Tone which to me was more important.
The lower volume was a added plus , because I knew how much difference the Master Screw Props make and all they do is change the tone but the Neighbors really appreciated it and I loved it ...

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your MINI 2 in the Rain.

Ideally you need a before and after meter reading in exactly the same conditions, same place, same background noise level for a meaningful comparison.

The trouble with DeciBels is they are a logarithmic figure to cope with a very wide ranging signal/sound source. An increase of 3dB is a doubling of volume in audio sound terms but the human ear can barely detect the change. You could say with, for example a 3dB reduction, the 4-blade option halves the sound level. Sounds great to the buyer but they will not be able to tell the difference.

A change of pitch is much easier to achieve as MAS have done and gives the apparent, but incorrect, perception of a reduction in volume.

You made some valid points , and you gave me a Fantastic IDEA ! Thank you !

When everyone that participated in the different forums downloaded the Decibel Meter App which is free by way to download and use >

The over whelming number presented by those that used the app to measure there MINI 2 while it was hovering 3 ft away was 68 DB

NOW 68 DB means a lot to me and the list is to long :oops:

it only makes sense now that I will advertise whatever DB Number they come up with after using the NEW SOUND CATCHERS and the Mobile Decibel Meter App.

One interesting thing to note:

The goal was not to lower the volume as much as to change the Tone which to me was more important.
The lower volume was a added plus , because I knew how much difference the Master Screw Props make and all they do is change the tone but the Neighbors really appreciated it and I loved it ...

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your MINI 2 in the Rain.
How are your neighbors hearing your drone inside their own home? I have flown my drone from inside my house while looking out a window (M2P, Evo2P, mini, Air2 and S) and couldn't hear them. It's not like a lawn mower or weed cutter. What are your neighbors walls made of? Or do they keep their windows open all the time. My drones only make significant noise to be heard by neighbors, if I fly right next to their home or have a significant payload attached, making the motors spin faster. Your neighbors are a little bit too sensitive , if you ask me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FloⒶlerta