DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to the "Smart" type of Controllers... RC 2 - Why ?

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Just now digging into the Mini 4 Pro with the RC 2 controller and I don't understand why the need for an SD Card in the controller itself. What features am I missing if I don't put one into the RC 2?

From the RC 2 manual:

"The remote controller has detachable control sticks, built-in speakers, a 32GB internal storage, and supports the use of a microSD card for additional storage needs."

Reactions: BigAl07
Found this as well....

2. DJI Mini 4 Pro supports QuickTransfer, enabling fast downloads of drone footage directly to your mobile device. If you do not require screen recording, there is no need to insert a microSD card into the remote controller. Click to learn about the recommended microSD cards for DJI RC 2.

Haven’t used the RC2, but on previous smart controllers an onboard card gave you:
Storage space for controller screen recordings, which I used.
A way to backup important drone imagery in the field, which I didn’t use…

Well, unless I'm mistaken, you can't even screen record to the removable SD card at present. I've just been using it as an emergency SD card holder, lol. Perhaps someone can educate me, but I haven't seen the option to change save locations for that.

EDIT: So I found the spot to change storage location, but my screen recording still saved to the internal memory.

EDIT2: Cache files are saved here now after changing storage location.

Last edited:
Well, unless I'm mistaken, you can't even screen record to the removable SD card at present. I've just been using it as an emergency SD card holder, lol. Perhaps someone can educate me, but I haven't seen the option to change save locations for that.

EDIT: So I found the spot to change storage location, but my screen recording still saved to the internal memory.

EDIT2: Cache files are saved here now after changing storage location.
That idea of using this slot as a BACK UP Sd Card is brilliant , Done.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

If the user doesn't deliberately use the card in the controller, what 'incidental' files does the controller put on the card and would they create problems of the drone.

There are these thingws available Amazon.co.uk
None that i'm aware of. I just tested it on a fresh card and upon popping it into the RC 2, it created these placeholder files.

Before:

1703132992826.png

After:
1703133248895.png

Simply added the DCIM/DJI_001 folder. No issues taking pictures.

Apologies, not meaning to derail your thread, Al.

• Love
Cheers
And the MISC folder?
Did you check the contents of the card via computer?
You're correct, I missed the MISC folder it created. Yes, opened it on my computer after being in my RC 2, then put it into my Air 3, took 2 pictures... and that's the result of the 2nd screenshot.

None that i'm aware of. I just tested it on a fresh card and upon popping it into the RC 2, it created these placeholder files.

Before:

View attachment 171198

After:
View attachment 171199

Simply added the DCIM/DJI_001 folder. No issues taking pictures.

Apologies, not meaning to derail your thread, Al.

Not derailing at all... I actually LOVE the idea of having a "secret spare card" on hand.

It's almost like DJI is listening... creepy. This mornings firmware update adds support for saving screenshots and recordings to microSD. About to test...

I did set that setting in the past, and now I can't find it. Can you point me in the right direction?

I did a test and the screen recordings are now going directly to the SD card. I just find where that setting is!

I did set that setting in the past, and now I can't find it. Can you point me in the right direction?

I did a test and the screen recordings are now going directly to the SD card. I just find where that setting is!
No problem. Outside of the camera view in the DJI Fly App hit Profile at the bottom. Then hit settings, then storage and select SD Card.

Reactions: MS Coast
This is just a marketing strategy excuse from DJI do say something is better or has more "useless" features to make you buy the Mini 4 pro over the Mini 3 Pro. The same apple story with Iphones.... they look the same.

I haven't fall in that game.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
This is just a marketing strategy excuse from DJI do say something is better or has more "useless" features to make you buy the Mini 4 pro over the Mini 3 Pro. The same apple story with Iphones.... they look the same.

I haven't fall in that game.
Looks like you did about 2 years ago though... you have every bird in their 2020/2021 lineup! Haha. Just giving you trouble. You're right though... easy to fall in that trap.

Looks like you did about 2 years ago though... you have every bird in their 2020/2021 lineup! Haha. Just giving you trouble. You're right though... easy to fall in that trap.
After DJI Failed on releasing the SDK for the Mavic 3, I swear I am not getting another DJI drone if they not release the SDK and I am not getting another one from DJI. Probably I am getting Autel or other brand, but I am not supporting a company that does not care about the customers.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13