DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie Question - AirSense outside of US on MA2

TonyT67

Reactions
So right now DJI are not shipping MA2 with AirSense outside of the US.

I am based in the UK so if I was to buy one when I am next in the US, I assume the Drone and AirSense will still work in Europe and potentially future proof my drone a little more here in the UK. I am leisure only flyer.

Any thoughts?

Tony

Reactions: Scubadiver1944

I am based in the UK so if I was to buy one when I am next in the US, I assume the Drone and AirSense will still work in Europe and potentially future proof my drone a little more here in the UK. I am leisure only flyer.

Any thoughts?

Tony
as you know the US and UK versions have different radio comms rules with regards to signal radiated strength so therefore the US version could cause issues if used in the UK and if you had an issue with the drone it has to be fixed in the country of purchase

Is there a difference in flight time between the two models?
From experience with M2P and M2ED (with Airsense) aircraft, there is no difference in flight time recognizable.

I have to imagine an adsb receiver adds a fair amount of weight
No, if it's measurable then we are talking about a fraction of grams. It's only an additional chip (ADS-B receiver and an antenna).

Any thoughts?

Tony
That's an issue which concerned me also since I'm all in favour of me knowing of any other air user's presence, but also of informing them of mine! In the circumstances I'll settle for my existing Mavic Pro 1 and wait for what comes out in the wash with a future Mavic Pro 3.

Any thoughts?

Tony
Kind of depends if that US MA2 drones ADS-B receiver is dual frequency or not and whether DJI have intentionally disabled it outside North America which is the BIG QUESTION right now.

Kind of depends if that US MA2 drones ADS-B receiver is dual frequency or not
At this time, only the United States is allowing the 978UAT datalink for ADS-B Out.
If you plan to use ADS-B outside of the United States, a 1090ES datalink, using a Mode S Extended Squitter transponder, will be required.
The fact that DJI turns off ADS-B outside the US is likely to have something to do with the 1090ES datalink not being functional.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centrespot