DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ in firefighting zone

GreggR

Reactions
I went to fly my Mavic in a park where I have flown before, but this time I got an NFZ message with some verbiage about firefighting aircraft in the area. This park is about 15 miles from a wildfire near Tucson AZ, but the water tanker helicopters were reloading about 3 miles away! I was surprised that this NFZ appeared where none had been before. Anyone else experience something similar? I was using GO4 v4.1.3 and firmware .07. My buddy was able to fly his P3 with no restrictions.

Reactions: Scarab69
I went to fly my Mavic in a park where I have flown before, but this time I got an NFZ message with some verbiage about firefighting aircraft in the area. This park is about 15 miles from a wildfire near Tucson AZ, but the water tanker helicopters were reloading about 3 miles away! I was surprised that this NFZ appeared where none had been before. Anyone else experience something similar? I was using GO4 v4.1.3 and firmware .07. My buddy was able to fly his P3 with no restrictions.

Go here: SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

Find the park and see if there is a TFR that encompasses the park. It will be a red circle like the one in the photo

image.png

Reactions: Scarab69
Not sure how DJI NFZ are actually working. Not surprising that the NFZ reaches out so far. The fires may be far away, but you may be in an approach area for larger firefighting aircraft. Your area may also be an alternate pickup point for water, or it may be an emergency dump area.

If the fires are big enough to get the attention of politicians, then the NFZ may be due to some big wig flying in.

Would be interesting to know if DJI adds additional buffer zone to the TFR to create their NFZ.

Stay well away from fires. This was a story from a few days ago. Drone operator near wildfire facing felony charges

I found the TFR posted by sar104 above (not circular), but it does include the park mentioned in my original post. NFZ restrictions certainly make sense in this situation...

I was in Berlin this morning and fly my mavic over the Main Street between the Victory Column and the Brandenburg Gate.

As I was approaching the Brandenburg Gate, a NFZ warning popped up. I was nervous to fly so close in near the gate, as Reignstadt and the US Emabssy were also.

Tbh, I expected more scrutiny in the area. But this was my first time receiving a NFZ warning. Immediately, I brought my mavic down and home.

I didn't want to see what would happen if I pushed it in then NFZ. Any one have experience with this?

excellent correction.....TFRs come in many shapes, not just circles.

Circles are certainly the most common and easiest both to request and implement, but it is worth checking the actual specifications. I've also read many times that DJI only implements circular NFZs which, if true, adds another complication for non-circular restricted areas of all types.

The tip to check the skyvector website is pretty awesome. Just below the TFR checkbox is DROTAM (Drone - Notice to Airmen) You can see where drones will be flying. Wonder if this is only military/government, or are commercial drone pilots filing DROTAMs?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starKid