DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ with permission - DJI says "no"

i am super-heated up right now - and either need talked off the ledge - or - a mavic pro alternative. i am a part 107 licensed UAV PIC & professional videographer. i have permission from the airport tower to fly in their restricted airspace & i cannot launch because a chinese company wants to police my movements. i've spoken to the airport director, i've spoken to the tower - and now i have sent dji an email to jump through their hoops to fly in this space.

NOT flying in this space will cost me $23,000. needless to say the mavic pro is the last dji product i will purchase. btw - all my dji stuff will likely be for sale soon ... so keep an eye out for that.

sorry for the rant -- i really AM looking for a solution
I would suggest using an Inspire instead? The Mavic is not designed for major commercial work. Perhaps the software in the Inspire might work in your favour in order to get the NFZ released?

The tower can not grant you permission!
They can only acknowledge your presence and help you and other aircraft avoid each other.
Think of them more like the police officer guarding restricted area. Thye can not give you permission to enter. You must have "airspace authorization" granted by the FAA via their web portal, prior to to you flight. You submit your request on their website and receive authorization a few day later. Once you have this you can submit it to DJI and they will lift the NFZ. This has been my experience. As a part 107 UAS pilot you should know this information. Or hire a real commercial pilot to do this part of your $23,000 job!

I do work inside class C airspace fairly regularly and have had no issue when I go through the proper protocols. Best of luck to you.

I am a former airline pilot and flight instructor just getting into flying a drone. The regulations clearly state that ATC authorization is required and in most cases this will be the control tower. Due to the increased workload when air traffic controllers take calls for authorization, the FAA is requesting that you go online and request a waiver instead. Obviously their need to notify them 90 day prior is not realistic in most cases. I have yet to make a request, but you can contact ATC directly for authorization and it is up to the controller. Having flown in our excellent national airspace system, I can tell you that air traffic controllers are very willing to accomdate any pilot's request whenever possible. They are super nice guys with a lot of responsibility and as long as you are willing to follow the rules they will go out of their way to get you up in the air.

Reactions: BigMic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead