DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ with permission - DJI says "no"

thanks mr. g! now that i'm free, i'll proably stick with the mavic for now. the next drone i buy will be able to carry a good size dslr - like a 5dMKiii or a GH5.

Here are some recent "DJI Mavic Pro clones:
/

Good luck! But I'll continue flying my new Mavic.

I'm hoping by the time I'm ready for my second quad someone aside from DJI has a really nice one, like a Mavic, maybe more flight time, lower price, less Chinese interference.

i believe my point is valid. i have permission from the tower. i don't believe i should need permission from a private corporation to do my job with a product i purchased.

if i buy a car & drive over the speed limit --- i'll get a ticket - but my car does not, and should not regulate my speed.
The restrictions are baked into the Mavic. It knows where the restrictions are by GPS and software. How would you figure the Tower would let it fly? What could they do to unlock your flight? Nothing.

Reactions: MoonstruckView
i believe my point is valid. i have permission from the tower. i don't believe i should need permission from a private corporation to do my job with a product i purchased.

if i buy a car & drive over the speed limit --- i'll get a ticket - but my car does not, and should not regulate my speed.
This isn't helping solve his problem. You are stating facts he's clearly aware of, so comment please if you have some productive advice, not trolling in your free time of people who made mistakes. Forums are here to help remedy his mistakes and work around it.

i really should - but, i don't really have the time, talent or inclination to build --- do you know anything about the typhoon 4k?

Check out Captain Drone's you tube videos on YouTube. He has some very good videos on the Typhoon H, including one-year evals, video and photo demos, demonstrations on it's flying modes, etc. It is a strong stable hex. The downside to the H480 is the camera. It does take excellent photos and video, however it is not up to some of the DJI cameras. As your a 107 Commercial, I would look at the new Typhoon H520, built for commercial use, improved camera options, larger motors, etc. The Typhoon H had some growing pains last fall, but they were worked out. It is a stable bird even in rough winds and I find it much more enjoyable to fly that the Mavic Pro. The Mavic Pro I have both. The Mavic Pro has its advantages, compact, portable, quick setup, and it take great video and photos. Good Luck and Safe Flying!

Toddellis also mentioned he was filming a greenhouse operation and inside work. He did not mention if it was all inside. If so, then 107 does not apply to flying inside a building. And if it is all inside, then he should not need permission from the tower or DJI.

Reactions: cderoche
UPDATE: i went through the process with DJI. mapped out the location - sent the information & documentation, a signed letter on airport stationary ... and was denied by our Chinese overlords. the reason?

"A form of positive identification of the person signing the statement must be provided"

when i asked the airport director if he would consider sending a copy of his ID to china he said, and i quote "**** no." and i cannot disagree.

on with plan "a"

Toddellis, I fly in a Class-C and Class-E airspace, I have an Airspace Authorization to fly here. When I upgraded to Ver .900 I had problems, I downgraded to .700 as I had no benefit from .900. When I start up the MP, I get the usual warning and knowing my limitations, personally, legally, and under 107, I turn it off as appropriate. I have no problems when I fly. With my Typhoon H, Yuneec also has limitations on height and near NFZs. If you are a 107 PIC, then you fill out their form showing you are commercial and they remove all the restrictions. I agree, a third party company in China should not need to collect our personal information, and should not control our flying conditions. But they do for safety reasons. Maybe if DJI would adopt the process used by Yuneec, many problems would go away for commercial pilots. As for those irresponsible non-commercial pilots, that is something the FAA "SHOULD" take action on and maybe that problem would at least diminish. Regardless of any restrictions, those that are irresponsible will continue to do what they feel necessary to fly dangerously, to include hacking the safety measures placed in their birds.

This problem highlights the differences in culture between the Chinese mindset and American's. The Chinese being a country that is controlled by a communist government makes them inclined towards following governmental rules as a first priority above all else. Whereas the American mindset is to live a life free from governmental restrictions and rules, these cultural differences are quite pronounced and I find myself inclined to feel that the DJI software and their policies are far too restrictive and overbearing for my liking.

OK guy's please chill down in this . I have deleted a few post and
will read all of this again and more most likely will be more .
PLEASE BE CIVIL .

This problem highlights the differences in culture between the Chinese mindset and American's. The Chinese being a country that is controlled by a communist government makes them inclined towards following governmental rules as a first priority above all else. Whereas the American mindset is to live a life free from governmental restrictions and rules, these cultural differences are quite pronounced and I find myself inclined to feel that the DJI software and their policies are far too restrictive and overbearing for my liking.

Correctamundo. I think for Chinese DJI owners, let all the restrictions China has be imposed. Maybe each country should have different rules. I understand their part a little, liability concerns and what not. Maybe they should meet us in the USA somewhere in the middle. Just pop up the NFZ warning, fly at your own risk, notify the tower, etc. To me that says enough to get them out of hot water in a lawsuit. I think everyone probably is in agreement that if nothing else they're trying to prevent accidents. Just a bit overbearing sometimes.

Reactions: Vilco and Nixter
Toddellis, I fly in a Class-C and Class-E airspace, I have an Airspace Authorization to fly here. When I upgraded to Ver .900 I had problems, I downgraded to .700 as I had no benefit from .900. When I start up the MP, I get the usual warning and knowing my limitations, personally, legally, and under 107, I turn it off as appropriate. I have no problems when I fly. With my Typhoon H, Yuneec also has limitations on height and near NFZs. If you are a 107 PIC, then you fill out their form showing you are commercial and they remove all the restrictions. I agree, a third party company in China should not need to collect our personal information, and should not control our flying conditions. But they do for safety reasons. Maybe if DJI would adopt the process used by Yuneec, many problems would go away for commercial pilots. As for those irresponsible non-commercial pilots, that is something the FAA "SHOULD" take action on and maybe that problem would at least diminish. Regardless of any restrictions, those that are irresponsible will continue to do what they feel necessary to fly dangerously, to include hacking the safety measures placed in their birds.
I like that concept of taking off restrictions for 107 pilots. I also have my private pilot certificate, I know the rules and procedures. I would like a way to update to better firmware improvements but not be restricted on where I fly.

I would like a way to update to better firmware improvements but not be restricted on where I fly.

amen. the 107 pilots are not the people to worry about. we are the safe, responsible people taking care of our equipment, our livelihood & our client's interests. it's the "run out to best buy and fly a quad" people that are inexperienced, dangerous and/or stupid that pose a problem.

Why? I can only imagine how insulted you'd be if someone complained about you flying your drone over them or their property and how incensed you'd be if someone flew their drone over you or your property without your permission. Would you be happy with your government flying drones over you and your property? Be honest now.

They're already flying fighter jets and bombers, who cares for some drones?

You know the limitations before buying. I also find it hard to believe a professional videographer would use a mavic.
Countless idiots were and are routinely ignoring no fly zones and other rules. This means DJI has to police it or regulation will be far far stricter.
Nobody forced you to buy DJI and nobody is forcing you to use DJI. You agreed to their terms and conditions.

I see many professional videographers on YouTube that use the Mavic Pro. That being said, they have other higher end drones as well. I will acknowledge the camera isn't as nice as I hoped it would be, but its nice enough to get me started in the business. I believe the OP has a point for sure. For me, I am going to use my Mavic for real estate photography, but I also realize the restrictions of the camera and the no-fly zones (even with permission). If I end up doing well, then I guess I too will be looking for another drone.

A 20K job would make my day!

I see many professional videographers on YouTube that use the Mavic Pro. That being said, they have other higher end drones as well. I will acknowledge the camera isn't as nice as I hoped it would be, but its nice enough to get me started in the business. I believe the OP has a point for sure. For me, I am going to use my Mavic for real estate photography, but I also realize the restrictions of the camera and the no-fly zones (even with permission). If I end up doing well, then I guess I too will be looking for another drone.

A 20K job would make my day!

After the $23K video/photo shoot, I would send them a copy of the video from the Mavic inside the bogus NFZ and a thanks anyway, I'm good email.

I have 2 waiver applications submitted to the FAA as of now. One is for flying in controlled airspace 14 CFR part 107.41. It will be interesting to see if DJI unlocks the airspace for me once I obtain the waiver from the US Govt.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom