DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not my proudest moment

StuckInTree

Reactions
So in between rolling power outages, but before boiling snow for drinking water, I woke up early to see 6 inches of snow, right here in central Texas. 6 inches! It just doesn't snow here that often, maybe once every six or seven years. After three+ decades living in the area, the most I've ever remembered was an inch, maybe two. Epic.

Naturally, I reached for the M2P for some early morning shots before any car tracks or foot traffic would disturb the scene. Grabbed my new gloves that I specifically asked for at Christmas just for flying in this type of weather. Awesome. Check 'em out.

Powered up the SC, then SC demands that new firmware be installed! Ughh! Now?! Seriously?! Wasted the entire sunrise while the SC was being updated (mistake #1). 20 minutes later got the SC and aircraft booted up and ready to go. Calibration required. Do the dance. Not good enough, calibration required. Spin and twist. Calibration required. Walk farther out in the snow away from the house (could the electrical wiring) and try again. Calibration required. WTF! DJI update is going to make me miss this once in a lifetime photo shoot! Rinse and repeat, again and again.

Then my brain finally fired up. The gloves! The gloves with the removable fingers! The gloves with the removable fingers, with magnetic clasps! :rolleyes: Got those off in a jiffy, calibrated and got the drone in the air. Could have sworn I read rave reviews of those gloves on MavicPilots, but maybe not. lol.

After I finish my next pot of boiled snow will be looking for photography gloves. With Velcro clasps. Thumbswayup

Probably not warm enough for the USA, but I use these.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Then my brain finally fired up. The gloves! The gloves with the removable fingers! The gloves with the removable fingers, with magnetic clasps! :rolleyes:
As to forced updates at awkward moments, I always "fly in flight mode", relying on offline maps.

I've also had my moments with magnets. It took me a long time to realize why apps supposed to locate celestial objects (eg Skymap or Photopills) put those objects so far off their true positions. As can be expected, the culprit is the magnetic latch in mobile cases, which confuses the phone's magnetic compass. Another similar incident happened when I once put our sailboat on autopilot to coil the mooring ropes when we left the marina. Again, it took me a while to figure out why the autopilot didn't hold a steady course. Naturally, I had placed my Samsung tablet (and its magnetically latching case) in a cabinet whose wall supported the autopilot's electronic compass. It's not so easy to understand that while satnav devices are immune to magnetic interference, electronic compasses are not.

Regards, Antero

I would turn off wifi on the SC, then it won't be looking for updates. And are you sure it "demanded" a update, I have never been forced to update on any DJI device, only given the option to update which I turn down unless I am prepared for the ordeal of a DJI firmware update.

I never have wifi turned on, on the SC. If I need to update the SC, I will use the USB connection to the Assistant software. I personally can't see any reason to have the wifi turned on during flights. If you want to upload the smaller files from the SC cache to a website, then I can see needing it turned on.

I know you can easily bypass the Fly safe database (I know that's not the exact name). There may be a limit to the number of times you can bypass this, so far I have not hit that limit.

Paul C

I would turn off wifi on the SC, then it won't be looking for updates. And are you sure it "demanded" a update, I have never been forced to update on any DJI device, only given the option to update which I turn down unless I am prepared for the ordeal of a DJI firmware update.

I never have wifi turned on, on the SC. If I need to update the SC, I will use the USB connection to the Assistant software. I personally can't see any reason to have the wifi turned on during flights. If you want to upload the smaller files from the SC cache to a website, then I can see needing it turned on.

I know you can easily bypass the Fly safe database (I know that's not the exact name). There may be a limit to the number of times you can bypass this, so far I have not hit that limit.

Paul C
Y'all give him a break; he had 6" of snow in Texas. Up here in Canada we have only had one snowfall of 2" and it was gone the next day. Curious the nature of preconceptions! (Just a little off topic - put it down to Covic cabin fever).

Reactions: Yogi053
So in between rolling power outages, but before boiling snow for drinking water, I woke up early to see 6 inches of snow, right here in central Texas. 6 inches! It just doesn't snow here that often, maybe once every six or seven years. After three+ decades living in the area, the most I've ever remembered was an inch, maybe two. Epic.

Naturally, I reached for the M2P for some early morning shots before any car tracks or foot traffic would disturb the scene. Grabbed my new gloves that I specifically asked for at Christmas just for flying in this type of weather. Awesome. Check 'em out.

Powered up the SC, then SC demands that new firmware be installed! Ughh! Now?! Seriously?! Wasted the entire sunrise while the SC was being updated (mistake #1). 20 minutes later got the SC and aircraft booted up and ready to go. Calibration required. Do the dance. Not good enough, calibration required. Spin and twist. Calibration required. Walk farther out in the snow away from the house (could the electrical wiring) and try again. Calibration required. WTF! DJI update is going to make me miss this once in a lifetime photo shoot! Rinse and repeat, again and again.

Then my brain finally fired up. The gloves! The gloves with the removable fingers! The gloves with the removable fingers, with magnetic clasps! :rolleyes: Got those off in a jiffy, calibrated and got the drone in the air. Could have sworn I read rave reviews of those gloves on MavicPilots, but maybe not. lol.

After I finish my next pot of boiled snow will be looking for photography gloves. With Velcro clasps. Thumbswayup
Same basic location, same thoughts (but later in the day, after the snow stopped). Checked the manual for operating temperatures (we’re above that - barely), did the necessary FAA request, approved, launched! We live at a “T” intersection (right at the top). Up to 100’, flew down the middle of the “T”, turned and flew back up the street right toward the house for some good video of our place. Overflew the house, over to the next street and the MA2 stopped responding. I can see it, in a stable hover, but no response to the controls. Hop in the Tahoe and drive over there to get closer. Once nearly under my miniature flying machine, control was regained and a smooth landing ensued. Back to the house, set drone on table to warm and go back outside to scrape up more snow for toilet operation.
Oh Yeah! I forget to turn on the video for the run up the street. Weather has warmed up, done has warmed up, drone flys as advertised, snow is 90% melted. Maybe next time.

And are you sure it "demanded" a update, I have never been forced to update on any DJI device
Yeah, you're probably right, blame it on my foggy brain early in the morning. I do tend to err on the side of wanting the latest updates, mainly out of fear that I have a mixed set of firmware between the drone, controller and batteries. If everything says it's on the latest release, it just gives me a better feeling before I send it.

Same basic location, same thoughts (but later in the day, after the snow stopped). Checked the manual for operating temperatures (we’re above that - barely), did the necessary FAA request, approved, launched! We live at a “T” intersection (right at the top). Up to 100’, flew down the middle of the “T”, turned and flew back up the street right toward the house for some good video of our place. Overflew the house, over to the next street and the MA2 stopped responding. I can see it, in a stable hover, but no response to the controls. Hop in the Tahoe and drive over there to get closer. Once nearly under my miniature flying machine, control was regained and a smooth landing ensued. Back to the house, set drone on table to warm and go back outside to scrape up more snow for toilet operation.
Oh Yeah! I forget to turn on the video for the run up the street. Weather has warmed up, done has warmed up, drone flys as advertised, snow is 90% melted. Maybe next time.
Hope you all are doing well. We just had water come back on today and thankfully our pipes held up, but we will be under a boil water notice for a little while at least. Here's a couple of the shots I managed to take before my neighbor shuffled right down the middle of the street and spoiled the perfect snow cover.

Attachments

• 20210215-DJI_0725-25x8-sRGB.jpg
    20210215-DJI_0725-25x8-sRGB.jpg
    694.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210215-DJI_0734-25x8-sRGB.jpg
    20210215-DJI_0734-25x8-sRGB.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I love the humor added to these stories, and picture m in the place of those of you that write these. I've done some things in my life, and all I can do is laugh.........

Yeah, you're probably right, blame it on my foggy brain early in the morning. I do tend to err on the side of wanting the latest updates, mainly out of fear that I have a mixed set of firmware between the drone, controller and batteries. If everything says it's on the latest release, it just gives me a better feeling before I send it.
I flew for the last year without updating the SC or the drone and never had any issues, despite it stating the software versions were different. I just don't like to touch anything that is still working perfectly.

Mine also gives a warning that it is not the latest firmware but I always choose to ignore and go flying.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom