DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle detection system issue on a brand new Mavic Air 2 ??

Well, I’ve flown 2 batteries worth tonight and the issue seems to have been resolved after reinstalling the firmware with DJI Assistant.

I almost panicked because I had no lateral/roll control at first. Turns out the reset also reset my Fly App settings too.

👍🏽
That sounds very promising idhawkdrvr.
Will wait and see what DJI says on Tuesday after the Bank Holiday re as to whether their sending me out a replacement unit and tell them I'm not alone with the issue 🤔☹️

Reactions: March411
Just received a new replacement MA2 last week and flew it tonight. Experienced the same thing, but only in flight. Stutters as if it’s braking, then continues. Plus I get obstacle alerts when it’s in perfectly clear airspace. Flew perpendicular to the sun to make sure, and yes, still happened. Turned off obstacle detection & flew in fast mode, no issues. My guess is a batch of bad sensors. Gonna be emailing support tomorrow.
What did DJI have to say re your issue ?

That sounds very promising idhawkdrvr.
Will wait and see what DJI says on Tuesday after the Bank Holiday re as to whether their sending me out a replacement unit and tell them I'm not alone with the issue 🤔☹️
Did you get your issue resolved?

No DJI said they couldn't replicate the problem ????
Ugh. That's maddening.

The firmware re-install worked really well for me. The only thing is to remember to change your controller settings back before you fly. Simple stuff like SD Card or Internal, fn Button operation, camera settings, etc.

Hope it gets to working for you soon.

No don't even get to the flying the drone stage, it happens before takeoff ...
It's as soon as the drone and app connect that the noise starts
Nothing in front or behind the drone ??
Sorry to ask but are you close to the drone?

No ... regardless as to if I'm close to or 5/6 feet away (to the side of the drone) still get the noise ??

Just received a new replacement MA2 last week and flew it tonight. Experienced the same thing, but only in flight. Stutters as if it’s braking, then continues. Plus I get obstacle alerts when it’s in perfectly clear airspace. Flew perpendicular to the sun to make sure, and yes, still happened. Turned off obstacle detection & flew in fast mode, no issues. My guess is a batch of bad sensors. Gonna be emailing support tomorrow.
I have been flying a Mavic Air 2 since they were first issued in May 2020. No problems in any aspect and the three original batteries in the Fly More Combo each still charge and run for about 23-25 minutes. It is a very reliable drone. I hope that I, now, haven’t jinxed it ……. 👀😱👍😎🇳🇿

I have been flying a Mavic Air 2 since they were first issued in May 2020. No problems in any aspect and the three original batteries in the Fly More Combo each still charge and run for about 23-25 minutes. It is a very reliable drone. I hope that I, now, haven’t jinxed it ……. 👀😱👍😎🇳🇿
David
tell me, when you put your Air 2 on the ground if there's anything in front or behind what's the closest they can be before the sensors start beeping (if that makes sense ? )
So if you put the drone down and say there's a hedge or a wall 10 feet away (front or back) does you sensor go off ???

regards
Tony 😉

Last edited:
Anyone experienced/experiencing a problem with the obstacle detection system on a Mavic Air 2 ?????
Brand new Air 2 / Samsung A90 5G mobile and Lenovo Tab M8 tablet. Drone from new making a donging/bonging sound as if there's something in front or behind when there clearly isn't.
Doing it with both phone and tablet.
Turn off the obstacle detection system in the Fly app. and the sound disappears.
The likelihood of there being a problem with both my phone and a brand new tablet is unlikely.
Mines gone back to DJI to be replaced as my unit was deemed DOA (brand new unit) but they can't replicate the problem ????
Any feedback appreciated

regards
tman
Same thing happened on my Air2S yesterday

Same thing happened on my Air2S yesterday
What actually happened Kleem ?
Is this the first time it's happened ?
What were the symptoms ?
On the ground ? Anything in front or behind ?
How far in front/behind ?

DJI after having my Air 2 back and not being able to replicate my issue and me receiving it back then me sending them a video showing the problem have agreed there is an issue and are swapping out my complete combo ... finally ... only taken a month 🙄🤔

What actually happened Kleem ?
Is this the first time it's happened ?
What were the symptoms ?
On the ground ? Anything in front or behind ?
How far in front/behind ?

DJI after having my Air 2 back and not being able to replicate my issue and me receiving it back then me sending them a video showing the problem have agreed there is an issue and are swapping out my complete combo ... finally ... only taken a month 🙄🤔
The launch button in the app turned green and a message came up that said it could not take off because sideways movement was disabled and when I reset the obstacle setting it turned it off again and I had to launch and land manually Another time it said the sensors were blocked when they clearly were not. I tried restarting the controller and aircraft with no luck.

The launch button in the app turned green and a message came up that said it could not take off because sideways movement was disabled and when I reset the obstacle setting it turned it off again and I had to launch and land manually Another time it said the sensors were blocked when they clearly were not. I tried restarting the controller and aircraft with no luck.
I think it's the software (The fly app) at fault and maybe not our Air 2/S's 🤔

David
tell me, when you put your Air 2 on the ground if there's anything in front or behind what's the closest they can be before the sensors start beeping (if that makes sense ? )
So if you put the drone down and say there's a hedge or a wall 10 feet away (front or back) does you sensor go off ???

regards
Tony 😉
I launch off my house upper deck, set back about a metre from a solid balustrade, with some deck furniture about a metre behind. I use an “H” target pad to provide a good visual for RTH. Never any problems - up or down - and, yes, the sensors sound correctly, until I hover out at about 4 metres above the deck for about 20 seconds, clear of the panels and the house roof. But the drone sits and waits nicely! I have excellent GPS visibility and reception off the deck. RTH brings the drone back on to the pad - always fun to watch, but I still keep my hands near the “cancel RTH” ! Cheers.

Well DJI have replaced my Air 2, just waiting for delivery (currently waiting customs clearance at East Midlands Airport, UK due to the clowns at DJI in Holland not filling the customs invoice form out correctly ... they put down the reason for shipment as OTHER ??? should be warranty replacement ... no commercial value and the value they did put down was €42.700.00 !!!!!!!!)
Hopefully the new drone will be fine once I get it, fingers crossed 🤔😏🙄

Not to add to your frustration, but I've had my MA2 about 18 months and have experienced your problem. Best of luck getting it resolved.

I have had this issue with my Air 2. It seems to be related to sunlight though, even when I am not facing the sun. Flying over highly reflective surfaces as well. (water for instance). I've had it halt in flight and then proceed after a second or two. It's very annoying and I do not have this problem with the Air or the M2Z.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50