DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic 2 Range Leaderboard

I was so close! I knew I had a head wind coming home so I caved and shorted my turnaround!o_O Everything went well, the two plants were running so I had some radio interference.
I am submitting this STOCK CLASS flight for consideration to be placed on the leader board.
@mlash can you comment on the airdata windmap for this flight and estimate what you think reality was versus what was reported?

@mlash can you comment on the airdata windmap for this flight and estimate what you think reality was versus what was reported?
Yes, this time the wind was out of the South at about 6-7mph, but still seemed to be reporting less than accurate at certain points in the flight. When I returned home I'm thinking it was +6mph.

On my video when I was returning home you can see all the sand kicked up into the air (this is not 3mph wind) but this is what the wind was reporting:
HomePoint.png
I have been flying out here a lot and have lots of video and it does not look like this in 3mph wind (even with the plant running)!
HomePoint1.png

Yes, this time the wind was out of the South at about 6-7mph, but still seemed to be reporting less than accurate at certain points in the flight. When I returned home I'm thinking it was +6mph.

On my video when I was returning home you can see all the sand kicked up into the air (this is not 3mph wind) but this is what the wind was reporting:
View attachment 51960
I have been flying out here a lot and have lots of video and it does not look like this in 3mph wind (even with the plant running)!
View attachment 51961

Hmmm... I just noticed there is a algorithm and aerodynamic profile listed in airdata. But it lists the Mavic Pro...
1541081911077.png

Hmmm... I just noticed there is a algorithm and aerodynamic profile listed in airdata. But it lists the Mavic Pro...
View attachment 51969
Good Find! Probably why the wind is not reporting right, huh. The bottom pic is off the Mavic Air report so they do have different Wind Algorithms Aerodynamic Profiles.

This is from my Mavic 2 flight:
mavic pro.png

This is from my Mavic Air flight:
Mavic Air.png

I assume you guys are paying for AirData to get the in flight wind data, right?

May go with the 360 lite, literally just missed a 20% off coupon code that expired yesterday LOL

I always just assumed that the Mavic 2 Pro version (camera) would be heavier, which is one of the reasons I ordered the Zoom (the lighter version). It just hit me that the Zoom might be heavier because of the optical zoom feature installed in the camera. I just ordered my Pro Camera to switch out back and forth with my Zoom. Does anyone actually know which camera is actually heavier?
I didn't write it down, but I weighed both cameras and they were within a couple grams and nearly identical.
I just checked the DJI site:

View attachment 51419
ZOOM.JPG
PRO.JPG

I changed up location just a little today. I had a 5-6mph head wind on the way back

I am submitting this STOCK CLASS flight for consideration to be placed on the leader board.

Here is the Video of the above flight:

I changed up location just a little today. I had a 5-6mph head wind on the way back

Nice!!!

Reactions: mlash
I like how as soon as you went over that worksite toward the end, the Video transmission really crapped out and then as soon as you passed it, boom. 2 bars for a second.

I’m jealous of the landscape for sure.

I like how as soon as you went over that worksite toward the end, the Video transmission really crapped out and then as soon as you passed it, boom. 2 bars for a second.

I’m jealous of the landscape for sure.
Yes, it's definitely a great spot to fly. But when the plants are in operation, there are hundreds of trucks and heavy equipment with radios in operation plus the 4 or 5 home station radios comunicating with the trucks and equipment in operation (on the weekends with everything shut down the signal is beautiful). But I can't complain, to get this far with a stock controller is awesome!

Reactions: Joebie

Yo mlash, looks like you have a pretty good and repeatable course there. I would be interested seeing you try again in sport mode and full throttle. That's always been a debate and curious how the M2 behaves.

Yo mlash, looks like you have a pretty good and repeatable course there. I would be interested seeing you try again in sport mode and full throttle. That's always been a debate and curious how the M2 behaves.
I might have a break in the wind tomorrow. If so I will send her out on the same course, using the same battery and full speed in Sports Mode.

Reactions: Joebie and lolo780
Took it out for a sports mode run today but I had some complications in the beginning and blew it! I had a 12+mph head wind on the way out (that is not what caused the complications) but once I hit the mountains I think the winds changed. I honestly didn't think I would have 30% left when I got back! I will try this again and be more prepared the next time.

You might still be interested in looking at this flight so I will post it anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joebie
So disappointed in myself. Signal went to **** around ** I ended up manually turning around, and then reattempting because the signal came back strong. Well you can see it in the log. When I got back I had like 11+ mins of battery left. SMH
[Redacted]

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyNinja and mlash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3