DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic 2 Range Leaderboard

Great flight Lolo! I hope to get out flying next week if it ever stops raining. It has rained for the past week here and now with hurricane Florence on the way it’ll be rainy for another 4 to 5 days.[emoji53]

I owed several folks a status report on my observations between the M2P and M2Z. I finally have some significant stick time on both birds and this is my report.

I think it is safe to estimate that most mavic pilots fall in 2 basic categories:

1) Love to pilot/fly.
2) Love pro photography.

There is no argument that some of us love both, but for sake of argument let's go with this premise.

I love to pilot/fly and greatly appreciate pro photography, but I personally could give a rats a** about anything past 1080p live video transmission. The zoom with the right scroll wheel setup for mechanical zoom is the bomb for pilots and live video stream. And the remaining photography performance still exceeds my expectations; the Zoom is hands down the bird for me personally (and the lower price point makes it a no brainer).

But I do know some friends that are pro photography fiends and they have the exact opposite opinion from mine. They fly to take pictures and pilot because they have to. I fly for the sake of flying and taking pictures is a nice side benefit (that I mostly forget to do anyway).

So there is my abbreviated review comparison of the M2P and M2Z and hopefully this helps those that are getting ready to buy, but can't make up their mind which model to pull the trigger on.

--beanbubba

EDIT: I also verified that you can swap pro and zoom cameras between birds at will. And the M2 is IMHO at least 10x easier to add/remove than the MP camera assembly. It has one ribbon cable and 2 screws (and no glue), doesn't get any better than that!

Last edited:
Great flight Lolo! I hope to get out flying next week if it ever stops raining. It has rained for the past week here and now with hurricane Florence on the way it’ll be rainy for another 4 to 5 days.[emoji53]
Pick your storm :)

From the ventusky web site of course!!

upload_2018-9-11_12-59-14.png

I used a headlamp as a homing beacon while fighting auto landing and dodging power lines in the dark. I flew the heading in the daytime and noted what heights I have to be at.

Good idea. I will turn on my headlights on the car sometimes if needed...

I am submitting this STOCK CLASS flight for consideration to be placed on the leader board.

This is the first (and maybe last) time I have ever been ahead of cybernate on any leader board :)

Reactions: Pablo Chacon

Got the same problem! SC coast here...where are you?

I am submitting this MODIFIED CLASS flight for consideration to be placed on the leader board.

Modified class, with hard wired battery clip plus 2x XT30's and 2x TP4500LiHv. AUW under 1.6 kilo (I will get a picture later).

Fought 10mph average wind the whole flight.

EDIT: motors were very warm but not noticeably hotter than a stock flight.

About half way through this flight path are major power transmission lines and the RC would lose signal every time I flew up to them. I added the directional antenna to get over that hurdle and it seemed to work perfectly.

I used this dual band (2.4 gHz + 5.X gHz) 7.5 dBi gain panel antenna (60x60 degree beam width) direct connected to the RC. I had to keep gaining altitude, but kept strong signal the entire flight. I did a test flight trying to use 2.4 amp boosters and still getting crazy errors; I am going to try and debug that issue next week.

dronemods-2018-582.png dronemods-2018-581.png dronemods-2018-580.png

Here is the bird AUW and base weight:

upload_2018-9-14_16-51-20.png

upload_2018-9-14_16-51-37.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Aumoe
I’d like to submit this flight for the modified class

I was running a battery mod clip with two 4000mah Multi stars. Winds out of the SE 8mph Good Test plenty left in the tank. Stock controler Good Signal never drop below three bars.
IMG_4960.JPGIMG_4961.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: lolo780

I was running a battery mod clip with two 4000mah Multi stars. Winds out of the SE 8mph Good Test plenty left in the tank. Stock controler Good Signal never drop below three bars.
View attachment 46626View attachment 46627

Nice flight!! You could have gone 50k.

I think you attached the wrong airdata, the one you attached is from Sep 8th, 2018 10:38AM Max Distance 35,621 ft.

View attachment 46626View attachment 46627

Pablo,

Nice flight dude. Can you please report your AUW for this flight with the dual MS4000's?

Were the MS4000's Lipo or LiHv?

-beanbubba

Last edited:
Reactions: Pablo Chacon
I am submitting this MODIFIED CLASS flight for consideration to be placed on the leader board. 53,557ft

Battery mode to Multistar LiHV4000
Titan drones atlas powering a MaxxRang antenna
AUW 1591g

Winds were less than desirable. Took off flying south, the winds were from the east north that change to North East which gave me a tail wind out. Once out to my max distance I hit return to home to find out I did not change my return to home height and the drone Clime to 350 feet. On the way back I lowered the drones height but still had to fight the wind all the way back with max motor speed warning’s all the way. Once back at the home point. I forgot to take off the cruise control and when it started to land it took off again and struck the overpass behind me[emoji53]. Luckily I didn’t break anything.

I can confidently say that Mavic 2 in the modify class will easily fly 60K+ in good weather once we figure out the optimal speed and make the right adjustments to the parameters and figure out the best batteries.

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1059.JPG

I am submitting this MODIFIED CLASS flight for consideration to be placed on the leader board. 53,557ft

Battery mode to Multistar LiHV4000
Titan drones atlas powering a MaxxRang antenna
AUW 1591g

Winds were less than desirable. Took off flying south, the winds were from the east north that change to North East which gave me a tail wind out. Once out to my max distance I hit return to home to find out I did not change my return to home height and the drone Clime to 350 feet. On the way back I lowered the drones height but still had to fight the wind all the way back with max motor speed warning’s all the way. Once back at the home point. I forgot to take off the cruise control and when it started to land it took off again and struck the overpass behind me[emoji53]. Luckily I didn’t break anything.

I can confidently say that Mavic 2 in the modify class will easily fly 60K+ in good weather once we figure out the optimal speed and make the right adjustments to the parameters and figure out the best batteries.

View attachment 46688

View attachment 46689

View attachment 46690

Dude! Sweet!!!!

Leaderboard updated. I sure hope you took video of that flight and the crash...

Last edited:
Dude! Sweet!!!!

Leaderboard updated. I sure hope you took video of that flight and the crash...

I did screen record it, but it was still dark out side. If I get a chance later this evening I’ll up load it.

I really hope this thing doesn’t have a hard limit like the MP1.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123