DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Painting a mini

Reactions
Rather than applying a skin to a Mavic Mini, is it possible to use a bright color paint? Just wondering as I haven't heard of anyone doing this. I have registered it with the FAA so no concern exceeding the weight limits.

The mini plastic is it painted like a Mavic, or like a raw / gel coated plastic ?
If raw it will need to have a suitable plastic primer applied before topcoat, or the paint will be laminate from the surface after a while.
Adhesion promoter used in painting car bumpers would be fine I’m sure.
We use it as required via a gravity feed spray gun, but it may even be available in an aerosol can.
I can professionally do painting, but if I wanted to coat a drone of my own, I’d skin it for sure.
Edited typos, darn phone keypads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strunk44
Just got a reply from DJI concerning wrap/paint....

"in regards to that, it not recommeded to paint or wrap your Mavic Mini as it is considered modification for your Aircraft.
We only allow the Mavic Mini DIY kit for your Mavic Mini." (Of course)
I think a removable wrap would be the way to go.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Reactions: Jonny bedminster
Rather than applying a skin to a Mavic Mini, is it possible to use a bright color paint? Just wondering as I haven't heard of anyone doing this. I have registered it with the FAA so no concern exceeding the weight limits.
I do not see why not. there have been a couple of individuals in the forum, painted there mavic air, spark, etc.

just do a search

Whenever I purchased a Mavic Pro 3 years ago, I found it hard to see from a distance. To help me see it I applied a strip of aluminum tape (duct tape) on the back. Whenever it becomes hard to see I'll hover and rotate the drone so it will reflect in the sunlight. It works really well and I've never had any issues with magnetic interference. By putting the tape on the back it also helps to see what orientation the drone is at any given minute. I don't always depend on the screen when flying for flight direction. I use it more when I'm just flying and not performing a specific task, i.e. inspections, photography.

I would think painting your drone would add at least 1 gram to its weight . . .

Whenever I purchased a Mavic Pro 3 years ago, I found it hard to see from a distance. To help me see it I applied a strip of aluminum tape (duct tape) on the back. Whenever it becomes hard to see I'll hover and rotate the drone so it will reflect in the sunlight. It works really well and I've never had any issues with magnetic interference. By putting the tape on the back it also helps to see what orientation the drone is at any given minute. I don't always depend on the screen when flying for flight direction. I use it more when I'm just flying and not performing a specific task, i.e. inspections, photography.
Great idea! That's the problem I'm having, loosing sight of the bird. I'll give it a try and thanks for the tip.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dond40127