DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 instructor

JohnnyD913

Reactions
I recently passed my part 107.
Can I start teaching people a class on how to pass?
Do I need a special certificate to become a part 107 instructor?

I recently passed my part 107.
Can I start teaching people a class on how to pass?
Do I need a special certificate to become a part 107 instructor?

It would be a HUGE benefit to our industry as a whole if we taught the subject matter in-depth rather than teaching how to pass the test. We see so many (daily unfortunately) Part 107 holders who absolutely have no idea about what the regulations are let alone how to operate safely in the NAS. They crammed and passed the test but retained none of the knowledge needed to APPLY Part 107 in the real world.

Thank you guys.
The reason I ask is cause a flying service reviewing my resume as we speak.
They need a rec. pilot and someone to teach the part 107.
The company plans on following up with each student unlike most places that have the course and u never hear from them again.
They want to encompass all aspects of what we do as commercial pilots...

It would be a HUGE benefit to our industry as a whole if we taught the subject matter in-depth rather than teaching how to pass the test. We see so many (daily unfortunately) Part 107 holders who absolutely have no idea about what the regulations are let alone how to operate safely in the NAS. They crammed and passed the test but retained none of the knowledge needed to APPLY Part 107 in the real world.
I agree! There's a huge difference between being "book smart" and actually applying what you learned. There's too many people out there that know just enough to be dangerous.

Speaking as an ARRL VE, I very much agree. Lots of people "study to the test" and then have no idea what they're doing when they get behind a mic.

Speaking as an ARRL VE, I very much agree. Lots of people "study to the test" and then have no idea what they're doing when they get behind a mic.
So very true! I too am a amateur radio guy and you see (and hear) it all the time. Once you pass the test the learning doesn't stop there. There is always room to improve upon your knowledge.

Honestly, and please don't take this the wrong way, you need to have more experience to actually teach well.

I'm not sure it's a good idea for anyone in any industry to start teaching about that industry right after they get their own certification. Being able to use real life experience is imperative to being a good teacher. Book smart is one thing. Life smart is another. Life smart people make better teachers.

It actually bothers me a bit that the company is reaching out to their newly minted pilots to teach (if I'm reading that right).

Totally agree.

Reactions: BigAl07
I wouldn’t mind taking night courses like I did for some of the college credits I needed for my degree, but there is no replacement for hands-on experience.

Concur with most of the group on this one. It's important to know the realities of flying in different environments and how you deal with people who don't necessarily like you flying a drone around them or their property. Etiquette vs what the book says.

Speaking of training who trains the V.O. for daytime flights? One member on the forums has developed an excellent course for training members of the fire department for night time operations, which he was generous enough to share with me.

Since I am not currently planning any night time flights I am developing a course that I will use to train my daytime V.O.s. I have prior course development and instructor training and experience though the fire service, having taught both at the local level and regional fire school. It won't be a course "certified" by any state or the FAA, but at least I know my V.O. will have the necessary knowledge to do the job correctly. Their training and test scores will be recorded and kept in a file in case there is ever a question of their actions.

Is it the perfect solution - beats asking the kid riding by on their bicycle to watch your drone when you're flying and their eating their candy bar.

"It would be a HUGE benefit to our industry as a whole if we taught the subject matter in-depth rather than teaching how to pass the test."

I would be on board for that as an interested student!!!! I am not so sure I would ever have a need for a part 107 but I still want the knowledge.

I full time RV at the moment and I have had several people come to me and ask to take pics of their RV roofs and in fact the camp ground owners have asked for areal shots of their grounds for future building purposes all of which I have refused. It is an incentive in that I can use the money for perhaps the purchase of my next drone but it sounds too much like work and responsibility......I am retired. I just want to enjoy the hobby.

WDK

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be on board for that as an interested student!!!! I am not so sure I would ever have a need for a part 107 but I still want the knowledge.

I full time RV at the moment and I have had several people come to me and ask to take pics of their RV roofs and in fact the camp ground owners have asked for areal shots of their grounds for future building purposes all of which I have refused. It is an incentive in that I can use the money for perhaps the purchase of my next drone but it sounds too much like work and responsibility......I am retired. I just want to enjoy the hobby.

WDK

If you do any of that you'll need Part 107. You can't Hobby/Recreate "for" someone else.

I'm jealous... I'd love to RV full time and that's def part of my "retirement bucket list". Well done :)

I agree! There's a huge difference between being "book smart" and actually applying what you learned. There's too many people out there that know just enough to be dangerous.
In Oz you would need a Certicificate IV in training and assessment to "teach".
I know this doesnt help but I thought Id throw it out there>>

Reactions: BigAl07
If you do any of that you'll need Part 107. You can't Hobby/Recreate "for" someone else.

I'm jealous... I'd love to RV full time and that's def part of my "retirement bucket list". Well done :)

Thank you.....like I said if work and responsibility are involved, I am more than likely going to opt out at this point but I still want to learn every detail of the part 107 rules and regs. BB424815-5FAD-4C11-B6CE-9321932E6621.jpegHere I am!!

WDK

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic