DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Training - What site?

westwind77

Reactions
Given the winter is here and free time is a bit more available I want to complete the Part 107 training. There seem to be a fair amount of web-sites that offer the videos/training. Are there a top few that are recommended by members here? Thanks!

Pilot Institute hands down. Passed with a 98%. Just make sure that if you answer any of the practice questions incorrectly, go back and understand the related material. Don’t just remember the correct answers without understanding the why’s behind it. Do that, and you’re almost guaranteed to pass. Many reasons why this is the best 107 course out there, imo.

I used the FAA study guide as well as practice tests from 3DR FAA Part 107 Study Guide – 3DR and others. I think I may have missed one question. I didn’t take any paid course for my initial test, but did pay for a course from UAV Ground School for my recurrent exam; it was very good and if you prefer a more structured study method, I’d recommend it Gold Seal UAV Ground School | Pass your Part 107 Exam.

I recently took the free TRUST course offered by Pilot Institute, and if their Part 107 course is as good, that would also be a good option.

I used the FAA study guide as well as practice tests from 3DR FAA Part 107 Study Guide – 3DR and others. I think I may have missed one question. I didn’t take any paid course for my initial test, but did pay for a course from UAV Ground School for my recurrent exam; it was very good and if you prefer a more structured study method, I’d recommend it Gold Seal UAV Ground School | Pass your Part 107 Exam.

I recently took the free TRUST course offered by Pilot Institute, and if their Part 107 course is as good, that would also be a good option.
As Defens said, there are free study guides out there. That's not to denigrate Pilot Institute, but if you're like me video instruction isn't your thing. Pilot Institute has FIFTEEN hours of video. This ADHD boy couldn't do it. The FAA study guide is a good starting reference. Tony Northrup's hour/43 minute video on YouTube is also very good. There are other videos that dial into specific sections of the Part 107.

What I found the key to passing for me was to find all the different practice tests and take them along the way as I studied. At first I was barely in the passing scores, but took notes after each one where my weaknesses were and then focused on those. When you take multiple practice tests, when you see the same questions/answers over and over that seem a bit vague or ambiguous but repeat the same answer, be assured that they will appear on the test as those questions come directly from the FAA guide and no amount of logic will help you guess the answers. But you'll know them having seen the same ones on multiple practice tests.

I looked around online and thought about self-teaching. I also am a private pilot but that was over 20 years ago. So I went with Pilot Institute. The videos may drag out and there may be some info that is not as needed as other. However, you will come out with a good understanding of what the FAA is looking for and want you to know.

I am glad I took Greg's course. I have learned a lot and refreshed most of what I already knew. Sometimes they have a good sale going. As a quick refresh that is quick on time I plan to look through the YouTube videos just before I go test. Don't want any surprises. As Vindibona1 said if you see the same or similar question repeated or asked in a slightly different way that will be on the test. I still remember them from my Private Pilot course and Instrument ground school and testing.

• Love
Reactions: PixelMagic
There are very reputable and highly reliable organizations available via simple search. I choose to self study via FAA data. Scored mid to upper 90 on initial and recurrent. Online courses may incur a fee, but they are well worth it if one goes that route!

As a former sailplane pilot I knew much of what I needed to know about principles of flight, but was clueless on reading sectionals and aviation weather reports. Greg’s Pilot Institute made all of this easy. Being severely colorblind I had issues with distinguishing blue from purple making it difficult to read the sectional charts. Greg gave me a few tricks to help me through that that didn’t require good color perception. I passed my 107 exam with flying colors (pun intended).

As a former sailplane pilot I knew much of what I needed to know about principles of flight, but was clueless on reading sectionals and aviation weather reports. Greg’s Pilot Institute made all of this easy. Being severely colorblind I had issues with distinguishing blue from purple making it difficult to read the sectional charts. Greg gave me a few tricks to help me through that that didn’t require good color perception. I passed my 107 exam with flying colors (pun intended).
As a 37 year pilot and flight instructor, I 100% recommend Pilot Institute. Plenty of interesting free classes at Pilot Institute as well. If you are going invest the time do it the right way. Why self study and potentially have to re-take the test at about $150. You will pass with PI but they also have a guarantee!! Good luck!!

I took the course at NVBAA and passed my 107 with a 97%. The course met each Saturday morning (online of course) and the instruction and group dynamics was part of the appeal to me. I did learn a lot and their practice tests/quizes and weekly game got me to where I was completely confident when I took the exam. A bonus: the course is free if you are a veteran (yay Navy!) or educator. I think it may also be free for high-school students. Their website has all the details. Nevada Business Aviation Association | Las Vegas NV – Part 107 Pilot Training | STEM Education

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki