DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Passing versus doing really well for Part 107 Certification

projectarjun

Reactions
I notice a lot folks are keen in scoring a certain percentile on the Part 107 exam, if a pilot takes the exam for the first time without any prior preparation and manages to still score a 70% or higher, should he adequately prepare & study and retake it again? Is there any real benefit?

If you take the test with no prior preparation then, even if you somehow pass, you are not going to have a deep understanding of the material. Does that seem okay to you? How would you feel about flying in a real aircraft with a pilot who took that approach to certification?

I notice a lot folks are keen in scoring a certain percentile on the Part 107 exam, if a pilot takes the exam for the first time without any prior preparation and manages to still score a 70% or higher, should he adequately prepare & study and retake it again? Is there any real benefit?
They've got a special name for the student who scores at the very bottom of his medical school class. They call him "Doctor".

A person who barely passed the exam has the exact same legal privileges as one who scored 100%.

Everyone who missed one or more questions gets a sheet with areas they should brush up on. The learning should never stop, regardless of your score on the test. There is great value in filling the gaps in your knowledge.

But my opinion is that there's little value in repeating the exam itself. Of course there's no harm, other than the fee and time required. If someone wants to do it for bragging rights, or because they lost a job opportunity due to a low score, go ahead.

They've got a special name for the student who scores at the very bottom of his medical school class. They call him "Doctor".

A person who barely passed the exam has the exact same legal privileges as one who scored 100%...
Doctor indeed!

No pilot will fly in exactly the same circumstances as another.

This is just my opinion, so, take it for what it’s worth:
If chart reading is difficult, bear in mind that most pilots never touch a chart after the test. LAANC and B4uFly are great mobile apps that take much of the load off chart reading. A thorough understanding of airspace is still an important basic.

If interpreting the text string of a METAR or TAF is difficult, bear in mind that the same information is available, fully decoded, online.

Likewise computing a dewpoint, calculating g-forces in a banked turn, air density, etc. It seems like much of this material is borrowed from required knowledge for private conventional pilots. Don’t get me wrong, it’s all good, it’s all fascinating AND we all need to know at least a little about these subjects.

The Pt. 107 has significant questions in these areas, as well as others, for which working pilots have resources.

70% is a pass. If someone feels deficient in understanding something that may matter in their work or hobby then by all means continue to study.

I recently took the Pt. 107 recurrency training/exam. This is only required to maintain currency every 24 mos., but the latest version offers some new subject areas. It’s now free, available online 24/7, and is open to anyone holding a Pt. 107 certificate, whether earned through an initial exam yesterday, or current, or out of currency years ago. Meaning, someone who felt that a little more study and testing was needed could take the recurrency training/exam… for free!

A person who barely passed the exam has the exact same legal privileges as one who scored 100%.

Everyone who missed one or more questions gets a sheet with areas they should brush up on. The learning should never stop, regardless of your score on the test. There is great value in filling the gaps in your knowledge.

But my opinion is that there's little value in repeating the exam itself. Of course there's no harm, other than the fee and time required. If someone wants to do it for bragging rights, or because they lost a job opportunity due to a low score, go ahead.
That's my favorite saying... Doctor! Love that one.

Reactions: projectarjun
I wonder how many pilots with a Part 107 Certification really need it or use it? I’ve studied for it just for fun and it’s a ridiculous requirement for flying a drone. I guess it works to pump up fragile egos. A lot of those around these days.

If you take the test with no prior preparation then, even if you somehow pass, you are not going to have a deep understanding of the material. Does that seem okay to you? How would you feel about flying in a real aircraft with a pilot who took that approach to certification?
Concur! One should always strive to be as knowledgeable as one’s capabilities permit. Adequate study/tutorial sites are plentiful. If one pays a fee for a test, then one should be prepared well in advance. Without an adequate study program, personal or commercial, passing and simply retaking a passed test is only making the purse lighter. You know, as many of us do, there are excellent study sites available and some place a guarantee on the outcome. I, myself, did the self study (finding everything on the FAA www) for both initial and recurrent, and missed 3 on initial and 1 on recurrent. I felt comfortable with that, but, you are correct, an in-depth review to learn the mistakes. Still, from time to time, I review the FAA www and even retake several of the available www sample tests to help retain the data gained.
Agreed, an experienced airline pilot who applied study and practical effort would better be trusted to man the controls!
Note: Air Force cadet dies in plane crash. It would only be an unproven guess who was at the controls!

I wonder how many pilots with a Part 107 Certification really need it or use it? I’ve studied for it just for fun and it’s a ridiculous requirement for flying a drone. I guess it works to pump up fragile egos. A lot of those around these days.
It’s not a requirement for flying a drone! TRUST is the requirement. Obtaining a 107 permits one to fly for finance. Personally, I maintain my 107, to increase my knowledge. Forcing myself to ensure compliance and safety. Without a 107, I still could fly all I want recreationally. For me, if I were strictly a recreational pilot, I know I would most likely do many things unlawfully. My ego also tells me there is so much more I can learn, from this site and others! I don’t give a **** about making revenue with the 107. I just want to do my best to be a responsible and safe pilot.

“Pump up fragile egos. A lot of those around…”??
I have respect for people who work to accomplish something.

“…it’s a ridiculous requirement for flying a drone.”
It isn’t a requirement for recreational flyers.

Pt. 107 currency is required for non-recreational flying. I have my own criticism of the cost and content of the exam, along the lines of what I posted above, but it is only required for commercial and/or non-recreational flying.

I dit it because it’s required for my job. That’s my impression of most other Pt. 107 pilots as well.

Reactions: ckoerner
The converse of that is how many are flying without a 107 that should have it? As a real estate broker I need it to take photos of my real estate listings. The information is not bad to know. I will agree that as a 37 year manned aircraft pilot some of it is overkill for an MA2 shooting a home in the suburbs.

No I would not re-take it but as others have said do some research on weak areas. I do not however go for the "no prep" but I squeaked by concept. It is the 30% that hurt you or in the case of a drone a loss of money.

Reactions: ckoerner
“Pump up fragile egos. A lot of those around…”??
I have respect for people who work to accomplish something.

“…it’s a ridiculous requirement for flying a drone.”
It isn’t a requirement for recreational flyers.

Pt. 107 currency is required for non-recreational flying. I have my own criticism of the cost and content of the exam, along the lines of what I posted above, but it is only required for commercial and/or non-recreational flying.

I dit it because it’s required for my job. That’s my impression of most other Pt. 107 pilots as well.
I got my 107 because it will be required for the job that I haven't created yet!

:)

My instrument instructor had a bit of a different take on written tests. I was getting ready to go take mine, and he said ""Passing is 70, and anything over 71 is overkill. You learn to fly in the airplane.""

I did better than that on both the instrument written and my 107 test, but I have some sympathy for that position. But I came into this as an experienced pilot.

I think the TRUST class/test is entirely appropriate for someone with no prior experience in aviation. And I think the 107 test is appropriate for anyone who wants to drone commercially.

TCS

I got my 107 because it will be required for the job that I haven't created yet!

:)

My instrument instructor had a bit of a different take on written tests. I was getting ready to go take mine, and he said ""Passing is 70, and anything over 71 is overkill. You learn to fly in the airplane.""

I did better than that on both the instrument written and my 107 test, but I have some sympathy for that position. But I came into this as an experienced pilot.

I think the TRUST class/test is entirely appropriate for someone with no prior experience in aviation. And I think the 107 test is appropriate for anyone who wants to drone commercially.

TCS
Ooo I cringe when I hear that horrible CFI saying "Passing is 70, and anything over that is overkill." I fully agree with the "You learn to fly in the airplane"!! I think a CFI who instills a mediocre attitude is not worth the money you spent. Not judgemental just truth. Why, why why would you have someone shoot for the lowest passing score. Again, I will wholeheartedly agree that much is learned from real world flying. I have spent almost 1 year of time airborne so I understand. Not calling your CFII poor but I will be glad to debate him on a "Fundamentals of Instructing" basis!

Ooo I cringe when I hear that horrible CFI saying "Passing is 70, and anything over that is overkill. You learn to fly in the airplane."
Reading that I never thought that the instructor is aiming for (or promoting) the lowest possible score. To me it was saying just because you didn't score 100% doesn't mean you are going to be any less of a pilot then the one that did. But there is a lot of truth to that. A high (or perfect) score does not make for a good pilot (or any other occupation). Far from it. I have run into way too many people with book smarts but has not one bit of common sense or knows how to put that book knowledge to use.

Reading that I never thought that the instructor is aiming for (or promoting) the lowest possible score. To me it was saying just because you didn't score 100% doesn't mean you are going to be any less of a pilot then the one that did. But there is a lot of truth to that. A high (or perfect) score does not make for a good pilot (or any other occupation). Far from it. I have run into way too many people with book smarts but has not one bit of common sense or knows how to put that book knowledge to use.
I fully understand. I guess I hear the voices of the fellow instructors that have said that. They did mean it in the negative way. You are absolutely correct that 100% does NOT mean you will be Chuck Yeager nor if you get a 80 or a 70 that you are doomed. Common sense you say.....ding, ding ding BINGO you are right on with that comment. So I qualify my comments as having known actual instructors that meant the comment in a negative manner. Your interpretation is right on as well! Also the OP asked should someone who did not prepare but happen to pass with a 70 retake it. NO that would be foolish but to study weak areas is a wise choice.

As an aside I also will much rather fly with a pilot who occasionally has a hard landing but has incredible judgement!! You can be a solid stick and rudder pilot who has extremely poor judgement and will have an issue some day. That goes for unmanned as well.

Thanks for the civil approach to give a different perspective to my post. Both have their own merits depending on the intent of the person saying the words.

Reactions: spudster
Ooo I cringe when I hear that horrible CFI saying "Passing is 70, and anything over that is overkill." I fully agree with the "You learn to fly in the airplane"!! I think a CFI who instills a mediocre attitude is not worth the money you spent. Not judgemental just truth. Why, why why would you have someone shoot for the lowest passing score. Again, I will wholeheartedly agree that much is learned from real world flying. I have spent almost 1 year of time airborne so I understand. Not calling your CFII poor but I will be glad to debate him on a "Fundamentals of Instructing" basis!
Yes judgmental, not truth.

He was great! I was naturally good at instrument flying, so he just kept making the exercises harder until he found my limit. And, of course, a man's got to know his limitations...

;-)

He got a job with a commuter airline in the middle of my training. He said he wasn't going to leave me hanging, and that he'd come back as needed to finish my training. And he did.

When I was almost done, he had me do a zero-zero landing. The foggles never came off. He gave me "radar vectors" all the way to the ground, and I landed seeing nothing but the instruments. When I touched down, he laughed his *** off, and said, "You can only do that with students. Nobody stays that sharp after they get their rating."

To be fair, it was a long, wide runway. Torrance Airport, California.

Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot in my instrument ground school, and as I mentioned here, I learned things from both the TRUST course/test, and the 107 course/test.

When I was learning to fly 100 years ago, there was a cynical pilot saying that went, "No flight is ever conducted in complete compliance with FAA regulations". And yet, most planes don't fall out of the sky...

I'm struggling to draw the right balance here. Knowing the regs is important, but it's not the main thing you need to know.

TCS

Yes judgmental, not truth.

He was great! I was naturally good at instrument flying, so he just kept making the exercises harder until he found my limit. And, of course, a man's got to know his limitations...

;-)

He got a job with a commuter airline in the middle of my training. He said he wasn't going to leave me hanging, and that he'd come back as needed to finish my training. And he did.

When I was almost done, he had me do a zero-zero landing. The foggles never came off. He gave me "radar vectors" all the way to the ground, and I landed seeing nothing but the instruments. When I touched down, he laughed his *** off, and said, "You can only do that with students. Nobody stays that sharp after they get their rating."

To be fair, it was a long, wide runway. Torrance Airport, California.

Don't get me wrong, I learned a lot in my instrument ground school, and as I mentioned here, I learned things from both the TRUST course/test, and the 107 course/test.

When I was learning to fly 100 years ago, there was a cynical pilot saying that went, "No flight is ever conducted in complete compliance with FAA regulations". And yet, most planes don't fall out of the sky...

I'm struggling to draw the right balance here. Knowing the regs is important, but it's not the main thing you need to know.

TCS
Chaosrider, see my reply to spudster just above your post I am replying to. I unfairly lumped your instructor with ones I worked with in the late 80s. Please read the reply I gave to Spudster. I can still hear their tone and intent and was not positive as your instructor was. Spudster nailed it and read it the way you intended it. Like most humans I replied based on my many experiences in aviation. Yes judgemental not knowing the intent. Truth on both sides depending. Again read Spudster and my reply.

While it seems you may be able to retake the exam at no cost, how valuable it would really be? That time would be better spent on self-study.

It also sounds like you were willing to pay to take the test again. Why not use that money on courses offered by one of the training organizations that folks here have recommended.

A pilot that takes the time to truly know the material, is a credit to self, as well as a great aid to those that perhaps do not. With that said, congratulations to all who have passed... An honest effort should be appreciated, not necessarily the numerical value above minimum passing.
As always, this knowledge is continually changing and being challenged, thereby requiring a certain amount of constant study... to wit; do you sit the test again for a higher number, or just use the score to drive increased study?

• Love
That's my favorite saying... Doctor! Love that one.
There’s a somewhat similar saying in law school… the “A” students become professors, the “B” students become judges, and the “C” students become rich.

(Although having done decently well, none of the above are true for me).

When it comes to pilot certificates, some DE’s are know for giving a far more intense oral exam to those who “barely passed” the written. At least that’s the reputation among the ones I know. So there is a benefit to doing better than the minimum.

• Haha
I remember taking my Motorcycle test on my Harley Wide Glide , and the guy in front of me was on a tiny scooter, but we were about to get the same license. The idea was to go very slow but controlled, but my bike was designed for jet speed acceleration. How clever they were,

When I think about piloting my drone I think about understanding my controller, the warnings, the geo fence , the icons and the extra apps needed to negotiate the laws and regulations , and than I think about the 107 test . How clever they were to ask about clouds that I am told never to fly thru .

Some tests are just designed for Pass / Fail others for Training.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde