DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Philadelphia, a great city for flying

macfawlty

Reactions
Any Philly area pilots on the forum?

My daughter moved from the DC area to Philly a couple years ago so I drive up there fairly often to visit. I always bring my M2P ‘cause it’s one of the greatest places to fly. When you look at the NFZ on AirMap, there’s a circle around the Philly Airport with a big cutout for most of the city. With the cityscape, 2 rivers and a lot of bridges, it makes for some great video and photos. I’ve never had any authorities bother me while flying. My fav launch spots are the Waterworks near the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the South end of the Schuylkill River Walk near Walnut St. Bridge, Ben Franklin Bridge at N. Christopher Columbus Blvd and Upper Manayunk near Ridge Rd.
Ok, so it’s not the Dolomites, but for a city, it’s a great place for flying.

Attachments

• A84E79A7-44F9-46EB-9A6F-A1AA288A66A5.png
    A84E79A7-44F9-46EB-9A6F-A1AA288A66A5.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 32
I fly from there also, where the Gazebo is.
Yeh, it's a nice spot there, large (busy) parking area, Cosmic Cafe and their popup bar on the patio. I launched from the patio while sipping a cider last time I was there. Also flew from a park in front of the Free Library and on the sidewalk on Christopher Columbus Blvd adjacent to the Ben Franklin Bridge. Great location for night timelapse.

If you’re a new pilot, I’d stay away from the buildings and fly over the river. It will make for better video and photos of the bridges and skyline. Anywhere along the Schuylkill River is nice flying.

Stay under the 400’ height limit, assuming it’s otherwise safe to fly in the area. Be aware that the buildings are likely to cause some signal interference. Avoid flying over roadways and pedestrian areas.

Center City seems to be the one area with more pedestrians and police presence. I considered flying adjacent to City Hall to get some video of William Penn, but it was summer, there were too many people in the area, a lot of cops, no way to be discrete and somewhat risky. Perhaps in the colder seasons.

Thanks for the info. Good idea to stay away from buildings like you said. Probably should gain some confidence and skills first. I've flown over Newtown, Yardley, New hope, so far.
A bit nervous about cities. I would guess starting in Philly is better than heading to NYC.

Thanks for the info. Good idea to stay away from buildings like you said. Probably should gain some confidence and skills first. I've flown over Newtown, Yardley, New hope, so far.
A bit nervous about cities. I would guess starting in Philly is better than heading to NYC.
From a photographic/cinematic perspective, the city skyline, Schuylkill River & its bridges are the most interesting subjects. I’ve launched from the Water Works, adjacent to the PMoA and the grassy area near the end of the River Walk just past the South Street bridge. I’ve also launched from the park in front of the Central Library and along the river in Manayunk.
Another subject of interest is the Ben Franklin Bridge. Launch from the sidewalk along Columbus Blvd or Race Street Pier.
I don’t know Philly very well and I’m sure there are many worthy subjects I’ve yet to discover. With the skyline and bridges, dusk/night hyperlapse videos are really cool.

Last edited:
Any Philly area pilots on the forum?

My daughter moved from the DC area to Philly a couple years ago so I drive up there fairly often to visit. I always bring my M2P ‘cause it’s one of the greatest places to fly. When you look at the NFZ on AirMap, there’s a circle around the Philly Airport with a big cutout for most of the city. With the cityscape, 2 rivers and a lot of bridges, it makes for some great video and photos. I’ve never had any authorities bother me while flying. My fav launch spots are the Waterworks near the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the South end of the Schuylkill River Walk near Walnut St. Bridge, Ben Franklin Bridge at N. Christopher Columbus Blvd and Upper Manayunk near Ridge Rd.
Ok, so it’s not the Dolomites, but for a city, it’s a great place for flying.

Hey folks. I’ll be spending a few days in Philly and made the last-minute decision to bring my Mavic. I see the recommendations above, but if anybody has a “top 3” list or a place not to miss, I’d certainly appreciate the recommendations. For what it’s worth I’ll be in Center City but will be glad to Uber or whatever anywhere that’s not walkable.

Both the South (Boathouse Row) and North sides of Philly Museum of Art (Ben Franklin pkwy). Schuylkill Banks Greenway south of Walnut St. bridge (esp. at night), Ben Franklin Bridge at night. I wouldn’t recommend flying Center City. Too many people, tall buildings and a heavy police presence. Not much to film there aside from city hall.

Reactions: Jasonbum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas