DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo quality?

aicneneb

Reactions
Hi, I know there is a lot of reviews and overviews about how fantastic this drone is for video...and that's fine. But i'm 100% photographer. I was hoping to get some dng samples at this time but I wasn't lucky. I could see 5 or 6 of the and the quality was just "ok", quite soft for my taste. Any one of you focused primarily on photography had any similar experience?

Thanks! Fly Safe.
Agustín

Hi, I know there is a lot of reviews and overviews about how fantastic this drone is for video...and that's fine. But i'm 100% photographer. I was hoping to get some dng samples at this time but I wasn't lucky. I could see 5 or 6 of the and the quality was just "ok", quite soft for my taste. Any one of you focused primarily on photography had any similar experience?

Thanks! Fly Safe.
Agustín
I am professional photographer, and the unit I ordered should arrive on the 9th (next Tuesday). Once I received it, I will try to do some test shot for the main camera and compare it with the image quality of Mavic 2 Pro & Air 2s, the two drones I used to have.

The telephone camera is a gimmick IMO, so I will ignore that one for the moment.

You don't understand soft until you've owned a Canon EOS 1Ds. My 1D, 1DsII and 1DsIII were atrociously soft - my 5D was much sharper. They've improved with the 1Dx, but not a lot. The DNG's from the M3 that have been posted on DPReview are soft, but can be fixed though standard means. And you generally do that with any image: a final adjust for the medium you present on.

Reactions: Droniac
You don't understand soft until you've owned a Canon EOS 1Ds. My 1D, 1DsII and 1DsIII were atrociously soft - my 5D was much sharper. They've improved with the 1Dx, but not a lot. The DNG's from the M3 that have been posted on DPReview are soft, but can be fixed though standard means. And you generally do that with any image: a final adjust for the medium you present on.
Yes I know that, I had all those DSLRs you mention and now I have a Canon r5. I also had a M2P and now I fly with the air 2s. That being said, for what I saw from dpreview samples I was expecting better image quality from such an expensive drone.

Yes I know that, I had all those DSLRs you mention and now I have a Canon r5. I also had a M2P and now I fly with the air 2s. That being said, for what I saw from dpreview samples I was expecting better image quality from such an expensive drone.
Why? It's a drone. It isn't a camera.

I don't think you would notice a ground-breaking difference between the overall image quality of 1 inch v.s. 4/3 sensor. M2P's one inch sensor has a dynamic range of 12 stops, the 4/3 sensor in M3 has 12.8 stops. They both have the same resolution.

I think the biggest difference lies in the high ISO performance, which I am yet to see any real-world comparisons between the two.

I don't think you would notice a ground-breaking difference between the overall image quality of 1 inch v.s. 4/3 sensor. M2P's one inch sensor has a dynamic range of 12 stops, the 4/3 sensor in M3 has 12.8 stops. They both have the same resolution.

I think the biggest difference lies in the high ISO performance, which I am yet to see any real-world comparisons between the two.
At 20MP, it is all about the glass. In that case, the M2P may be better optically because the glass can be smaller and easier to produce higher quality. And so far, I haven't seen any image from the M3 that makes me think it has a real 12 stop range. But for people who only study spec sheets, it may not matter.

and the lens will of course play a part in it. One of the reasons X5S images look the way they do is that you can put "real" lenses on that camera. 3D pop, sharpness, lack of CoA etc come along with that. It will be good to see some RAW files processed into jpegs and see how they look.

I have to agree the images I have seen from M3 so far look a million miles away from my Olympus Micro 4/3 OM-1 mark 2 even comparing with the zoom lens. I was getting quite excited thinking I could repeat that quality in a drone. The Olympus RAW converter does an amazing job at converting Oly RAW files. But yes I think the glass is so important. Having said that it is incredible some of the results you can get out of some of the Topaz AI plug-ins thinking Gigapixel Denoise and Sharpen.

Has anybody found a really good DNG converter for the M3 DNGs?

Cheers

Many are underestimating having that little bit of Zoom in the Picture Mode.

When it comes to Framing pictures , Most start with seeing something in Video and than you go to Picture mode and the whole Frame of the picture you wanted has changed,

The only way to get the Framed Picture you saw in the Video Frame is to send up the MINI 2 and get the Picture Zoom.

You cannot just take a Picture and say you will crop into it because its not the Same Frame as it was when you dialed in with the video.

2 x Zoom will be nice 4 x Zoom in Picture mode should also be Clean , and 7x zoom will most likely will not be enough quality as it flips to the other lens.

Despite this Picture zoom being welcomed I am sad that it is only 20 MP , as many of us have come to love the Super Res pictures we get from the Air 2S and Mavic 2 drones.

My question is will I notice a difference in the 60 frames on the Time Line for when I grab a Shot from there ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the Storm

The attached screenshot is a direct comparison of the video quality between Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 3. Both videos are recorded in 4K, H.265 4:2:0 8bit. This should shed some light on the image quality improvement of that new 4/3 sensor in M3, especially in low light condition.

As far as I can tell, there are a lot less blown highlights, and a lot more details in both highlight and shadow area, which are indications of 1) higher dynamic range and 2) better high ISO performance.

Attachments

• screenshot 2.jpg
    screenshot 2.jpg
    983.8 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
The attached screenshot is a direct comparison of the video quality between Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 3. Both videos are recorded in 4K, H.265 4:2:0 8bit. This should shed some light on the image quality improvement of that new 4/3 sensor in M3, especially in low light condition.

As far as I can tell, there are a lot less blown highlights, and a lot more details in both highlight and shadow area, which are indications of 1) higher dynamic range and 2) better high ISO performance.
That is going to make a big Difference in the quality of the Lightning shots i can pull from the Video Frames,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Capture the Storm

Thanks! Fly Safe.
Agustín
I’m not a photographer I’m just an electrician I have the Mavic one Mavic two pro phantom 4 pro +, that has been my concern with the Mavic both of my Mavics Have a soft as you call photos not very sharp if anything my Mavic one pro has a sharper picture then the Mavic two pro also I’m not fond of hasslblod software seems to have a lot of browns that are hard to get out and post I’m still saving up though going to get the basic Mavic three but if I was a photographer like you I would definitely have to get the cinema version and spend five grand plus taxes,Probably in another three or four days you’ll start seeing pictures of what she can do

I’m not a photographer I’m just an electrician I have the Mavic one Mavic two pro phantom 4 pro +, that has been my concern with the Mavic both of my Mavics Have a soft as you call photos not very sharp if anything my Mavic one pro has a sharper picture then the Mavic two pro also I’m not fond of hasslblod software seems to have a lot of browns that are hard to get out and post I’m still saving up though going to get the basic Mavic three but if I was a photographer like you I would definitely have to get the cinema version and spend five grand plus taxes,Probably in another three or four days you’ll start seeing pictures of what she can do
The magic 2 pro is great for photography if you get a good lens, i have found DJI have poor quality control in the lens and that only about 3 in 20 that I tested are perfect. i can’t imagine the 3 being much different since it had a wider lens fir a larger sensor in a similarly small package.

Many are underestimating having that little bit of Zoom in the Picture Mode.

When it comes to Framing pictures , Most start with seeing something in Video and than you go to Picture mode and the whole Frame of the picture you wanted has changed,

The only way to get the Framed Picture you saw in the Video Frame is to send up the MINI 2 and get the Picture Zoom.

You cannot just take a Picture and say you will crop into it because its not the Same Frame as it was when you dialed in with the video.

2 x Zoom will be nice 4 x Zoom in Picture mode should also be Clean , and 7x zoom will most likely will not be enough quality as it flips to the other lens.

Despite this Picture zoom being welcomed I am sad that it is only 20 MP , as many of us have come to love the Super Res pictures we get from the Air 2S and Mavic 2 drones.

My question is will I notice a difference in the 60 frames on the Time Line for when I grab a Shot from there ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Capture the Storm
Is it true that the zoom is digital except for X1 and x7, which are optical?

Why? It's a drone. It isn't a camera.
95% of my work is in still photography as well.

The main focus from what I've read was on "video" upgrades. This camera still has 20 MP. The images might be a little better due to the 4/3 lens, but I wouldn't invest that kind of money in it.

95% of my work is in still photography as well.

The main focus from what I've read was on "video" upgrades. This camera still has 20 MP. The images might be a little better due to the 4/3 lens, but I wouldn't invest that kind of money in it.
I thought exactly the same. It is a ton money for a few upgrades (again i am talking from a photpgrapher point of view)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d