DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sample photos from M3Pro please

Filmarik

Reactions
Now when first batch of Mavic 3 Pro drones have been delivered to the first lucky customers can someone please upload, say to Dropbox a few sample DNG photos taken with all 3 cameras. Nothing fancy like sunsets with minimal details. Just a plain daytime well exposed and properly focused but otherwise "boring" shots with minimum amount of sky, preferably of some urban areas with lots of buildings or landscape shots so I can form an opinion about the sharpness uniformity these 3 cameras can produce. That would be really appreciated and helpful. Thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmilingOgre
Now when first batch of Mavic 3 Pro drones have been delivered to the first lucky customers can someone please upload, say to Dropbox a few sample DNG photos taken with all 3 cameras. Nothing fancy like sunsets with minimal details. Just a plain daytime well exposed and properly focused but otherwise "boring" shots with minimum amount of sky, preferably of some urban areas with lots of buildings or landscape shots so I can form an opinion about the sharpness uniformity these 3 cameras can produce. That would be really appreciated and helpful. Thank you.
I put some untouched jpg images in this thread:

I was hoping to get some done today for you but it is pouring now. I did manage to re-check the 70mm cam and it does have an ever so slight soft spot in the lower left corner that makes up about 2-3% of the total image area. The good thing is it is softness and not smearing so it is easy to fix with localized sharpening techniques.

Overall though, it is an outstanding bird and great addition to my Cine. It's possible I can get some comparisons done in the next few days and then I can upload them...

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I was hoping to get some done today for you but it is pouring now. I did manage to re-check the 70mm cam and it does have an ever so slight soft spot in the lower left corner that makes up about 2-3% of the total image area. The good thing is it is softness and not smearing so it is easy to fix with localized sharpening techniques.

Overall though, it is an outstanding bird and great addition to my Cine. It's possible I can get some comparisons done in the next few days and then I can upload them...
How are you isolating this? Are you using some sort of calibration card?

How are you isolating this? Are you using some sort of calibration card?
Tried and true methods on regularly flown routes. I only do practical tests of my equipment, lab kind of stuff is no good to me anyway.

Tried and true methods on regularly flown routes. I only do practical tests of my equipment, lab kind of stuff is no good to me anyway.
What are these tried and true methods and practical tests?

What are these tried and true methods and practical tests?
At an altitude of 250’ feet and in little to no wind as measured on the ground, I shoot a series of five images at 45 degrees and then 90 degrees straight down, filling the frame with as much contrasty detail as possible. The reason for 5 images is tapping the screen to focus in five different focus points, center, upper left, upper right, lower left and lower right.

In the case of the main camera with an adjustable aperture, I also shoot at 2.8, 4.0 and 5.6.

It’s not scientific by any means but it is pretty consistent in method and helps greatly to reveal and then confirm any optical anomalies. It’s also a bit tedious but prudent file naming goes a long way in keeping it on task by being organized.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
At an altitude of 250’ feet and in little to no wind as measured on the ground, I shoot a series of five images at 45 degrees and then 90 degrees straight down, filling the frame with as much contrasty detail as possible. The reason for 5 images is tapping the screen to focus in five different focus points, center, upper left, upper right, lower left and lower right.

In the case of the main camera with an adjustable aperture, I also shoot at 2.8, 4.0 and 5.6.

It’s not scientific by any means but it is pretty consistent in method and helps greatly to reveal and then confirm any optical anomalies. It’s also a bit tedious but prudent file naming goes a long way in keeping it on task by being organized.
Thanks for sharing this.

Reactions: KS-6
How do you "tap to focus" in corners? I know that it is possible but then when shutter button is pressed on the controller it refocuses with central focusing area. Perhaps you use the virtual shutter button on the FlyApp screen for this test? That might work..

Sadly I am returning my M3P after first flight today. I was so exciting and loved what I was seeing all all three cams, until I zoomed into the 3x--here's a 100% sample. It is clearly soft and has some double focus in center areas, plus aberrations even after Lightroom applied its baked-in fix. Even zoomed out you can tell the image is soft. Ugh, fingers crossed for the next one! I hate returning things ):

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 10.24.14 AM.png

Sadly I am returning my M3P after first flight today. I was so exciting and loved what I was seeing all all three cams, until I zoomed into the 3x--here's a 100% sample. It is clearly soft and has some double focus in center areas, plus aberrations even after Lightroom applied its baked-in fix. Even zoomed out you can tell the image is soft. Ugh, fingers crossed for the next one! I hate returning things ):

View attachment 164853
What was your focus setting on the 3x telephoto? AF or MF?
Have you tried other subjects with a different focus setting?
One out of focus image doesn't necessarily mean a bad camera.
Make sure to turn on, and use focus peaking for best results.

How's the 7x telephoto?

What was your focus setting on the 3x telephoto? AF or MF?
Have you tried other subjects with a different focus setting?
One out of focus image doesn't necessarily mean a bad camera.
Make sure to turn on, and use focus peaking for best results.

How's the 7x telephoto?
hmm I didn't know manual focus was even an option. I will check, but dont believe it was in manual--I had settings default except for changing to raws. The telephoto looked pretty great (compared to the mavic 3). Sharp at least!

hmm I didn't know manual focus was even an option. I will check, but dont believe it was in manual--I had settings default except for changing to raws. The telephoto looked pretty great (compared to the mavic 3). Sharp at least!
RTFM and eliminate all possible user errors before jumping to conslusion

Last edited:
Manual focus most certainly is an option, and until you know what the Auto setting was focused on, you can't blame the camera lens for user error. Focus peaking is the only way to ensure sharp focus before clicking the shutter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J