DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Piece of CRAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure this sounds correct. The controller connects to the Mavic, you plug in the phone and the app does not auto launch? Okay, I could see that. But then you restart the phone? Why restart the phone instead of simply starting up the app manually? Okay, so you restart the phone and and then all of a sudden something displays "version check"? What displays "version check"? Something briefly connects? What connects? The app? If the app, so it did launch for some reason?
sounds like the op has many same issue as i did,i was around too many electronics,moved to the next room and problem solved.

These are very cool drones. While one may be defective, it is highly unlikely and against the odds that two are defective.

You are very likely doing something wrong. Probably something very simple.

The folks you’re very smart and will get this figured out for you if you’ll give them a chance. I wish I could help more but I’m a newbie myself.

For what it's worth ~the DJI servers are overloaded and often off-line today. This may be the cause for some of the OP's grief today.
Yes, I saw this on another forum. The OP has gotten a lot of hate and rude comments on here when he likely has a legitimate gripe.

Reactions: dougf
Thanks for being constructive- I turn on mavic then controller, connects to mavic, then plugged into phone. no message to launch the app- so i even restart the phone at this point (plugged in still)- it then says 'version check'- comparing with server', it connects briefly but then it says move aircraft- but when i do it becomes disconnected,or it says 'calibrate compass'- then it goes right to 'disconnected.'

Throwing one more idea out there: You said you turn on the Mavic, then the controller then plug into phone. This is not the correct sequence. The sequence should be to connect phone to controller, turn on phone, turn on controller then turn on aircraft. Have you tried this specific sequence? Also make sure you use the USB cable supplied to connect phone to controller.

Yes, I saw this on another forum. The OP has gotten a lot of hate and rude comments on here when he likely has a legitimate gripe.
Nah... His presentation sucks. He took the time to find these forums, sign up, verify his account, call the Mavic a piece of crap (sorry, CRAP) and give zero details about his problem - on his way OUT the door. We're just a bunch of bored techs looking for someone to pick on, on Xmas day :rolleyes:

Throwing one more idea out there: You said you turn on the Mavic, then the controller then plug into phone. This is not the correct sequence. The sequence should be to connect phone to controller, turn on phone, turn on controller then turn on aircraft. Have you tried this specific sequence? Also make sure you use the USB cable supplied to connect phone to controller.

I use 2 different mavics with three different iOS devices and never have difficulty getting them to connect. I also find it makes no difference for me if I start the app, or the rc, or the aircraft first.

I would definately make sure there isn't something plugged into the other USB port on the controller. This is the only thing that has ever kept one of my devices from connecting.

Got my mavic today.

I have a note 8 thats my current phone, but had nexus 6p I was going to use. Spent two hours fussing with it. Saying disconnected. Occasionally it would work and then start version check and stall. Could wiggle the connection to the phone and it would intermittently work. Turns out it was the phones sub c connector, connection itself was bad/loose.
Never having been through this process did make it frustrating.

Had a note 4 on-hand. Worked right away. And no I'm having a blast. I was extremely frusrated, but from what I read, and what I've been through seems like it' usually the phone.

Nah... His presentation sucks. He took the time to find these forums, sign up, verify his account, call the Mavic a piece of crap (sorry, CRAP) and give zero details about his problem - on his way OUT the door. We're just a bunch of bored techs looking for someone to pick on, on Xmas day :rolleyes:
I too get very frustrated when a product does not work right out of the box. I would be especially frustrated if two of them behaved the same way. That means it is unlikely to be just that I got a bad one but a poorly designed system. Many folks have had to revert back to an earlier app because the latest one failed to work on a device that worked fine before we upgraded, and these devices were on the list that should have worked.
DJI could easily solve these problems by including a dedicated display that is designed to work with their product. This idea that you have to log in to their server before using their product is awful when there server is down on Christmas day. While I agree that the OP did not start off on the right foot with this forum, I do understand his frustration with the product.

If you are using the USB port on the *bottom* of the controller to connect your phone then be sure to *disconnect* the micro USB on the *side* of the controller. Even with no device connected, if that side USB port has something plugged into it, then the bottom port won’t work. Only use one port at any given time.

SORRY! [emoji52] I should have read all replies first. I see that this suggestion was already made.

Got my mavic today.

I have a note 8 thats my current phone, but had nexus 6p I was going to use. Spent two hours fussing with it. Saying disconnected. Occasionally it would work and then start version check and stall. Could wiggle the connection to the phone and it would intermittently work. Turns out it was the phones sub c connector, connection itself was bad/loose.
Never having been through this process did make it frustrating.

Had a note 4 on-hand. Worked right away. And no I'm having a blast. I was extremely frusrated, but from what I read, and what I've been through seems like it' usually the phone.
I noticed that the small "holder" for the phone end of the cable was creating a poor connection. I'm assuming it was bending or putting some other pressure that the connector didn't like.
Anyway... I haven't had a single issue since I removed it, and just let the cable get held by the phone instead.

When I first got my MP the system refused to do anything until I did a Compass Calibration. (Note 4)

I got t mine less than a month ago, I too have a degree in Computer Engineering, 24+ years experience in IT. I watched a 10 minute video on how to get MP setup and was flying in no time. I am using iPhone 6S+ with latest iOS. There was a time when the app was constantly crashing, but latest iOS fixed that issue.

If you start controller first, then Mavic, once they connect start DJIGO 4 app (make sure it wasn’t running in the background prior to controller-MP sync) and it should connect without any issue.

The thing is not piece of crap if so many of us are successfully using it. This forum and YouTube would be full of complains otherwise.

Either way it is your choice to keep it or return, it won’t affect any of us here.

Good Luck!

A few methods for start-up on You Tube vids I’ve watched and various reading.

I always start controller before the Mavic, but sometimes I start the app 1st and sometimes last.

Bottom line....it always connects no matter what.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Specific? how much more do you need?- i can get the drone and rc to connect, but not the software, have tried 2 brand new pixel phones, and 2 iphones, software has been updated with firmware, followed all written instructions etc. shouldn't be this difficult
Are you sure that the cable used to connect to the phones are working? A bad cable can screw up the App.

Specific? how much more do you need?- i can get the drone and rc to connect, but not the software, have tried 2 brand new pixel phones, and 2 iphones, software has been updated with firmware, followed all written instructions etc. shouldn't be this difficult

I can't tell from your profile where you live. If are in or near a metropolitan area there should be a drone community you could connect with. They'll help you find a Mavic pilot you could meet with face-to-face and solve your problem quickly.

Any RC dealer could at least refer you to some drone owners. Most droners are eager to help newcomers. All the guys I know are. We're in north Texas USA.

Welcome to the hobby, y'all.

Reactions: it'sme
I use 2 different mavics with three different iOS devices and never have difficulty getting them to connect. I also find it makes no difference for me if I start the app, or the rc, or the aircraft first. I would definately make sure there isn't something plugged into the other USB port on the controller. This is the only thing that has ever kept one of my devices from connecting.

As per DJI:
I use 2 different mavics with three different iOS devices and never have difficulty getting them to connect. I also find it makes no difference for me if I start the app, or the rc, or the aircraft first.

I would definately make sure there isn't something plugged into the other USB port on the controller. This is the only thing that has ever kept one of my devices from connecting.

DJI states you should start the Mavic in the order I suggested. There must be a reason for this. I've had problems connecting when I don't follow that order, thus the suggestion to the OP.

Thanks for being constructive- I turn on mavic then controller, connects to mavic, then plugged into phone. no message to launch the app- so i even restart the phone at this point (plugged in still)- it then says 'version check'- comparing with server', it connects briefly but then it says move aircraft- but when i do it becomes disconnected,or it says 'calibrate compass'- then it goes right to 'disconnected.'
Were you able to Activate the drone? I had issue with that and they replaced the drone. Second one wasn't easy,but using a tablet I was finally able to activate it. It won't fly unless you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet