DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pilot personality types and traits

UAVNV

Reactions
if there was a line between a hobbist and a student of thier hobby what is your perception of the majority of pilots?

do you see more people who fly and learn, or do most read the manual a few times before?

i think it is all down to what attracted a person to the hobby in the first place,there are those like myself ,who have a lifelong interest in RC and take up UAV flying because of that interest,i did a lot of research about UAVs and started off small and worked my way up to a DJI UAV, and i think most people on this forum probably did something similar it was a considerable investment to purchase a MPP plus all the other things that are required to fly it successfully.

then there are people who purchase a UAV on the spur of the moment and are so keen to get it in the air and flying without really researching what is involved some are lucky and avoid crashing or loosing their UAVs, and many more by luck than judgment successfully get into the hobby, this second group seem to be on the increase judging by the number of mishaps that are mentioned on the forum

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I bought my MP (used) on impulse. Have a life-long interest in aviation, and have built and flown a handful of RC craft (powered gliders, airplanes, cars, boats) over the years. I watched a ton of videos, read the quick start then went and flew the drone. Crashed 4.5 minutes later.

This led to involvement of my tinkering/electronics hobby (have built Eurorack modules from scratch, which is part of my music hobby) to repair the camera and gimbal. Have flown several hours since the successful repair. I improve a little each time because, after each flight, I stop and think about what almost went wrong.

I bought my MP (used) on impulse. Have a life-long interest in aviation, and have built and flown a handful of RC craft (powered gliders, airplanes, cars, boats) over the years. I watched a ton of videos, read the quick start then went and flew the drone. Crashed 4.5 minutes later.

This led to involvement of my tinkering/electronics hobby (have built Eurorack modules from scratch, which is part of my music hobby) to repair the camera and gimbal. Have flown several hours since the successful repair. I improve a little each time because, after each flight, I stop and think about what almost went wrong.
thats called learning on the job happy flying OMM

Reactions: Dryocum
Basically I purchased my MP as a unique piece of photography equipment. So nice to get a different perspective from the air. Still bought some cheapo toy drones and a couple nicer racing drones over the past few years. I do fly fixed wing RC aircraft weekly. [edit] I was shown the hobby by a friend who owned a P3P. And yes I had to read the manual as well as web search.

Last edited:
After seeing drone videos on YouTube I bit the bullet and bought my MA. And yes, I was one of those that also read the quick start and started flying - luckily only one minor incident when I struck the radio antenna on my truck. One Master Airscrew prop broken.

Since then I have taken the hobby "serious" and am learning more all of the time. These forums (and others) offer a lot of info plus there are many, many YouTube videos that address all aspects of this sport or maybe I should say addiction ? .

There are also many online courses that cover the legal aspect and regulations of flying in compliance with law. As a newbie and a non-aviation person I knew nothing about controlled airspace, legal flying hours, etc, etc. Many of these things are something even a recreational pilot needs to know and should know.

This sport is what you make it. All the way from recreational to full-time professional.

There are old pilots and bold pilots, but not old, bold pilots.

Something my flying instructor used to always say. Doesn’t quite work with RPAS, but you get the idea

Reactions: Mavic Mac
Over 20yrs ago I started flying gas RC Heli’s. I never had a crash. Then life got busy. So, I sold them. Came back to flying electric Heli’s about 7yrs ago. Stopped for a few yrs. But, I really wanted to fly drones. A few friends were flying creating great videos. After thinking and researching. I decided to give it a go. So, last week I pulled the trigger on a M2P.. I just can’t stay away from my RC and aviation passion.

I've been involved with photography for a number of years. A couple of years ago I decided to try using a drone as part of my photography, so I bought a $100 plastic one. It didn't take long to realize that wouldn't work. I purchased a Phantom 4 Pro. That worked. Then I found that just flying and constantly learning new things about its capabilities is just as much fun as the photography part. A few months ago I bought a Mavic 2 Zoom. More to learn. Last week I became the proud owner of a Mavic 2 Pro. Even more to learn. My friends accuse me of being a collector. I have had the extreme pleasure of introducing over twenty people to the pleasures and responsibilities of the drone hobby. Many of them young adults.

I'm 80 years old and I fly drones because it's fun and I get to introduce people who, I think, are responsible to the hobby.

I've just turned 81 and have been into photography as a hobby all of my life. I have evolved from transparency slide shows with a single Kodak carousel to three carousel shows on three screens. When digital came in I resisted for several years but now can't imagine how I did that. I have now evolved to multi-media videos including stills and videos, using every source of video I can find (iPhone, timelapse, motion timelapse with slider, Osmo Action video, and of course, drone video). I recently published on this forum some of my recent Vimeo videos (Montana 2019 and Iceland 2019) to show my progress. It is a love of this hobby that keeps me busy for many long hours and I absolutely love it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan