DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please help- crashed my Mavic yesterday and would like to upload flight log

abeazzy2

Reactions
I crashed my Mavic Pro yesterday and was able to view the flight on DJI GO4 but would like to upload it here for some feedback.

All advice is fully appreciated. I cant seem to find out how to upload the flight log. I have downloaded DJI assist and i have the DAt files but nothing has been working.

Thank you

Last edited:
See upload instructions here

Reactions: abeazzy2
I crashed my Mavic Pro yesterday and was able to view the flight on DJI GO4 but would like to upload it here for some feedback.
When you upload it and post a link below, please also tell us as much as you can remember about the incident.

Hi Drone Fans-

First and foremost thank you for your help. I have attached a couple of links to my Dropbox where I have the DAT file as well as the .CSV file. I look forward to the feed back......

Now the rest of the story....
Sunday afternoon, was getting bored so I decided to fly the drone to get a short flight in but also to drain the battery. I wasn't trying to photograph anything and not trying to get cute with it. I powered up and the system and it requested a firm update.... I proceeded with the update and it completed with no issues. I went outside to fly. The battery at that time had three lights ( 3 Full lights) on the drone and I think 80% or so on the controller. Home point was recorded and I flew the Mavic up 390 feet or so and straight out to 3000 feet. I then turned it around and started to fly back. This is when it became a little unstable and I did receive a wind/velocity warning.....( it really was not that windy). It was actually a very warm, muggy afternoon. I have flown the mavic over many terrains much windier. Back to the dreadful event... on the way back the battery seemed to drop very quickly and that combined with the drone not being response I started to get an awful feeling in my stomach. The low power aircraft return to home had popping up so I cancelled it so that I can manually bring it back. I had no intent of wasting time rather bringing back in a straight line. (I wasn't sure what height I had for the RTH so I did not want to risk it because of the firmware update). Anyways, the last 30 secs or so the drone started spinning out of control and landed in someone's back yard. Luckily I was able to find it along with the gimbal. One lesson for sure is that always charge the battery fully before you fly. I think the battery had been sitting for a month or two in the drone so it could have led to the fast decrease in battery life?. Not sure. The Firmware update?? I really doubt the wind had much to do with it. It really was not very windy.

I hope with you can shine more light on the events that occurred. I know most crashes involve human/operator error. I feel not charging the battery was a bad call but other than that I didn't fly it out of control or with any risky maneuvers. I did not have the chance to bring it back in time before the battery went critically low.

Dropbox - 2017-09-03 21_51_56-08RDDBQ00101AE.dat

Dropbox - 2017-09-03 21_56_39-08RDDBQ00101AE.dat

Dropbox - ExportCSV_2017-09-03_[21-56-39].csv

Thanks Again
Abeazzy2

Attachments

• IMG_2969.PNG
    IMG_2969.PNG
    240.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2963.JPG
    IMG_2963.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2960.JPG
    IMG_2960.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2962.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 23
Neither of those are proper DAT files, which should have names of the form FLYxxx.DAT, and that is the wrong kind of log file. See the following links for instructions on how to obtain the correct files:

How to retrieve a .DAT

DJI Flight Log Viewer

Reactions: abeazzy2
OK - that was entirely self-inflicted. You launched with 57% battery and flew away for 363 seconds. You were actually flying into a 20 mph headwind, otherwise this would have been much worse. You turned around at that time and applied full back stick for 100 seconds, and were making good progress back (due to the wind) for the first 78 seconds until 442 seconds, when you started messing with the rudder and driving the aircraft in circles, reflected in the wild speed variations as it turned through the wind field.

At that point the aircraft was only 585 ft from home. It flew in circles in response to your continued rudder inputs until at 543 seconds it initiated RTH due to low battery (17%). It then had some obstacle avoidance warnings that caused it to stop. Then at 627 seconds it went into autoland at 11% battery.

The first graph shows speed and distance. The second one shows the relationship between your rudder inputs and speed in the period between 440 and 540 seconds.

DJIFlightRecord_2017-09-03_[21-56-39].png

DJIFlightRecord_2017-09-03_[21-56-39]_2.png

Sara104- Thank you for the input. i believe for sure operator error, however why at 11% did it start to autoland, why not at 10% or less. Is that something in the settings that I could have adjusted prior to take off? When updating the firmware does it set back or default the settings which were previously set? The reason I ask is not to put blame..... I flew it and take responsibility for it, its more about learning from it. I'm just surprised that at 11% it would start autoland. Its a very odd %, I believe I had it previously set at 30% for low and 10% for critical. I could have made a lot more progress and maybe even home if the autoland did not initiate at 11%.
Would you agree or am I off on that train of thought?

Sara104- Thank you for the input. i believe for sure operator error, however why at 11% did it start to autoland, why not at 10% or less. Is that something in the settings that I could have adjusted prior to take off? When updating the firmware does it set back or default the settings which were previously set? The reason I ask is not to put blame..... I flew it and take responsibility for it, its more about learning from it. I'm just surprised that at 11% it would start autoland. Its a very odd %, I believe I had it previously set at 30% for low and 10% for critical. I could have made a lot more progress and maybe even home if the autoland did not initiate at 11%.
Would you agree or am I off on that train of thought?

I don't know why it went into autoland at exactly that time or what settings you had applied but, if you expected it to be at 10%, then you would not have made much extra progress in that extra 1% battery time. The more significant question is why, when it was making good progress back and would have made it home quite comfortably, you suddenly started giving rudder inputs that caused it to fly in circles?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98