DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Please school me on iPads

I can say that I had an iPad mini 2 wifi only 128gb for this same purpose as a dedicated Mavic screen. And I was not happy. I got some serious screen lag and CPU overload warning... I believe it's cuz the mini 2 does not handle heat well. (I live in Phoenix, go figure). Other have had good success.... I also have an iPad Air 2. That works great, but it's too big IMO. So I sold the Mini 2 and bought the mini 4. I like it so much I'm selling my iPad Air 2. If your interested PM me.

It looks like they're VERY similar. iPad4 has a better processor while mini 4 has a better (smaller) screen. The anti-reflective screen on the Mini 4 might be beneficial for regular outdoor usage. It's really a personal preference at this point.

This should help you with comparing the various models. Note the two right columns.

iPad - Compare Models

The comparison chart just shows "iPad"

Is that an iPad4?

Here's the one I was looking at on BestBuy's site

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...erizon-wireless-black/5656295.p?skuId=5656295

Thing is, it says it has 1GB of RAM while other listings I've seen for the Mini 4 state that they come with 2GB's of RAM

Is that an iPad4?
No. It's a newer version of the iPad. You cannot use the 4th generation iPad (the "iPad4") with DJI GO 4 (it's too slow).

FYI, I have a complete list of compatible Apple devices here.

One thing to remember about owning apple device
They are good with planned obsolescence
Looking for the long term i would bet my bucks on ipad mini 4 than ipad mini 2
And u may want to opt out on the next ios update as the rumour said it is quite heavy on the processor
If u wanted to look for longer term, u may wanna go for ipad air 2

Here's a tip for all you non cellular iPad pilots.... I fly with a iPad 4 WIFI only. Had it lying around (was a gift) with no use for it until I found out about this little device by Garmin called GLO. You can get it on amazon for $100. With that device linked with my iPad 4 mini wifi, I am able to use "Follow me", and "RTH to my location" with no problem! Just thought I'd share[emoji108]

I recently purchased a used iPad mini 2 for just this purpose. It fits very snuggly into the clamps at the bottom of the remote but no worries about it sliding out. I've had no issues with lag or the app crashing or anything else. I got the 16 GB cellular version $125 on Facebook marketplace. I'm on Verizon so I just made sure it was a Verizon model. screen is very glossy so I purchased a matte screen protector to go over. I also purchased a 6" USB to lightning cord that is at a 90° angle on either end so I don't have dangling cords.

I have a iPad Mini 2 that I purchased not long after purchasing my Phantom 3 and now that I have upgraded to the mavic, I have had absolutely no problems with the mini 2 . It's been great so far

Reactions: jbphoto
DJI Go 4 won't support 1st Generation of iPad mini. Just make sure that you buy a recent model. Once everything is up and running I would leave my device offline. Some updates cause problems for people. I would just worry that my device would be made obsolete from Apple and DJI's constant software improvements.

Or pick up a second hand iPhone 6 Plus . The iPhone plus fits nice on the RC. Screen is plenty big enough.

I went through this same thing, finally decided to add an iPad 4 mini, 128 gig, wifi + cellular... added $22 a month for the 2 years too my Verizon plan... it's mainly for the Mavic but I may add some other apps... and CONTRARY to some people saying the 4 mini fits in the controller, IT IN FACT DOES NOT!! Bought a skytreat mount and could not be happier! Going to the mini from an iPhone is like going to big screen tv. My 2 cents.

Ok, I'll admit I'm wrong, didn't want to force it but yes it does fit, BUT it wiggles a bit and put your (well, mine) hands in an unnatural position, does not feel very comfortable at all.. so for my piece of mind I'll stick with the skytreat.

how do I distinguish one version from another?
You could look up the model number online (it's on the back of the device) if the seller lists it or it's large enough to see. In this case though, you can see it's the cellular version since it has the plastic part at the top of the device. A Wi-Fi only device looks like the device on the left below.

ipad-air-backs.jpg

Identify your iPad model
Basically
A1566 on the iPad Air 2
A1567 on the iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular
A1474 on the iPad Air Wi-Fi
A1475 on the iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular
A1476 on the iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular (TD-LTE)
A1538 on the iPad mini 4
A1550 on the iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular
A1489 on the iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi
A1490 on the iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular
Dont bother for mini 3 and mini 1
3 is just 2 with fingerprint sensor
And 1 is not supported

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads