DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polar Pro Cinema Filters: Vivid vs. Shutter?

ericlinesdesign

Reactions
Hello All,

I'm a new member of the forum and a new drone owner but not new to drones or cameras in general. I'm looking into purchasing one of the Polar Pro Cinema series filter sets for my Mavic Pro, either the Vivid or the Shutter collection, in order to smooth out my footage. However, without the ability to try them out over the course of a year and under all conditions that might come up (or at least most of them), I can't seem to decide which set would best suit my needs.

For those of you that aren't familiar with the two sets, the Vivid collection is a set of polarized ND filters: ND-4 PL, ND-8 PL, and ND-16 PL. The Shutter collection on the other hand is a set darker than the others without polarization: ND-8, ND-16, and ND-32. They do sell a set of all 6 for $60 more, but I'm sure that if I were to get that larger set I would only then figure out which set of 3 would have been more useful in the first place and rely on those exclusively thereby wasting not only the extra $60 but the additional filters as well.

I know there are a few threads surrounding this topic already in existence on here, but I haven't yet found a comprehensive one to help me make a decision that I'm sure others must be struggling with too. The decision in my mind comes down to this, which would be more useful, having polarization or the ND-32. If anyone can lend their experience or expertise toward helping me make this decision, that would be much appreciated!

In my opinion buy the polarized ND because I don't think that you're not going to use the ND32 so often. Most of the times you are gonna use the ND8 and ND16 and the PolarPro are the only hybrid filters in the market right now.

One thing is the Shutter is not polarized.

Eric, I've just take a look into your portfolio. Nice work you've got there. if I was you I would go with the Vivid set. The polarized ones will suit you well.

The polarization is useful to remove reflections and increase saturation, but their use requires some preparation (polarization only works when properly aligned with a polarized subject) and it's effect on sky can be unpredictable and result on vignetting. In certain situations it does have a dramatic effect on your footage, but it's not for everything.

I have been a long time photographer and videographer and have found the non polarized ND filters to be the most useful and easiest to work with on a day to day basis.

I have found that I use the ND 32 a lot more than I thought I would, and not just with snow and sand scenes as many suggest. It is often required in bright sunshine to achieve anything close to the desired 2:1.

Based on the above I went with the non polarized set of Tacos with 4,8,16, and 32.

In any case make sure they are the coated version, as this helps eliminate flare and reflections. For the Tacos this is designated by "MC" before the ND.

I have both Polar Pros and Tacos. the Tacos are a little lighter than the Polar pros and a little less expensive, however the Polar Pros are an excellent product.

Based on the above I went with the non polarized set of Tacos with 4,8,16, and 32.

In any case make sure they are the coated version, as this helps eliminate flare and reflections. For the Tacos this is designated by "MC" before the ND.

I have both Polar Pros and Tacos. the Tacos are a little lighter than the Polar pros and a little less expensive, however the Polar Pros are an excellent product.
I have the Taco-RC set but I guess they're not coated.
That ratio you mentioned 2:1 is the shutter speed over frame rate?
If so, I know what you mean about using the ND-32 more often than usual. If the sun is up in the sky we probably must use it. No snow nor sand.

About their weight, the Taco-RC weights 0.6g and the PolarPro is 0.9g. Both lightweight but the genuine Dji ND filters weights half that, just 0.3g. But half the weight, half the quality.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Hello All,

I'm a new member of the forum and a new drone owner but not new to drones or cameras in general. I'm looking into purchasing one of the Polar Pro Cinema series filter sets for my Mavic Pro, either the Vivid or the Shutter collection, in order to smooth out my footage. However, without the ability to try them out over the course of a year and under all conditions that might come up (or at least most of them), I can't seem to decide which set would best suit my needs.

For those of you that aren't familiar with the two sets, the Vivid collection is a set of polarized ND filters: ND-4 PL, ND-8 PL, and ND-16 PL. The Shutter collection on the other hand is a set darker than the others without polarization: ND-8, ND-16, and ND-32. They do sell a set of all 6 for $60 more, but I'm sure that if I were to get that larger set I would only then figure out which set of 3 would have been more useful in the first place and rely on those exclusively thereby wasting not only the extra $60 but the additional filters as well.

I know there are a few threads surrounding this topic already in existence on here, but I haven't yet found a comprehensive one to help me make a decision that I'm sure others must be struggling with too. The decision in my mind comes down to this, which would be more useful, having polarization or the ND-32. If anyone can lend their experience or expertise toward helping me make this decision, that would be much appreciated!

I made a video comparison of the two collections (vivid and shutter). I think you'll find it helpful.

I still don't understand why my Polarpro ND filters will cause my video to go dark when I sometimes pan sideways or up/down. Is there a certain way they are to be aligned on the camera lens?

I still don't understand why my Polarpro ND filters will cause my video to go dark when I sometimes pan sideways or up/down. Is there a certain way they are to be aligned on the camera lens?
Are they polarized? If so, is your gimbal in FPV mode?

Look for gimbal mode on gimbal settings menu:

152115e2kqyll917iv3yli.png

Sorry, I picked this image from Internet.

It must be in Follow mode (unless you're using the goggles). That way the horizon wont tilt.

I made a video comparison of the two collections (vivid and shutter). I think you'll find it helpful.

This may be a dumb question, but couldn't you simply mark the Polarized lens on the aluminum portion to indicate what the proper angle is? I am thinking two small ink lines, one on the mavic camera case, one on the lenses. If the lines line up, then set up is easy.....

I might be missing something in the fundamentals of the way a polarized lens works....

Hello All,

If I may,
Your a shooter so you know about their use. I would get both sets for the following reasons.
I try to shoot early. Less people, better light. I found out that keeping the EV between -0.7 and +0.5 is the sweet spot on my Mavic (my Inspire 1 too for that matter.) as I start early I usually need the ND-8 or NDP-8 for my first battery. I then change filter as the light intensity increases. I might do half a battery on an ND and half on an NDP if I am not sure but usually around a lot of water or greenery later in the day I use the NDPs. Other than that, I use the NDs.
Happy shooting

I only have one Polar Pro filter (they will sell them individually).
I have the ND 16 PL.

It works great. Any time it's sunny out, I put that on. I usually leave it on. If it's cloudy I take if off.

I get great image quality with that ND 16 filter and it makes water shots look particularly nice having the polarization.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC