DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polishing numbers and mould markings off props.

Robollox

Reactions
Apologies if this has already been covered, I've searched in various areas of this website, but cannot find anything specific to my question.
If you polished off the serial numbers, manufacturer logo and mould markings off props, would the aircraft be quieter, be slightly quicker, and extend the flight time/battery life due to slightly less drag?

I don't know that anyone here has done this and reported the results. If you decide to try it, I'm thinking you're going to find it does not make a noticeable difference.

Reactions: WAXMAN and Robollox
Thanks for your response. I've just took another close look at the props (original) the logo, serial number and mould markings along the leading and trailing edges are relatively minor, but at the speed they rotate, I'm curious, so I will try and report back. I will be buying a spare set, from DJI so I know they're the real thing, and then compare.
One of my imperfections, is chasing perfection!

The numbers and logo are near the hub and shouldn't make any difference. Top end prop makers such as MASTER AIRSCREW know this from years of published testing data. If you start sanding on props like for balancing you will remove the super gloss finish which will cause drag and noise. if your props are balanced you will unbalance them. I'm getting rid of my prop balancer. I don't buy cheap after market props anymore. Original DJI Phantom props are pretty much perfectly balanced. Five sets of MASTER AIRSCREW and they are all in perfect balance. My DJI Mavic Air STEALTH Upgrade Propellers just arrived today. Claimed 50% noise reduction and up to 2.8 minutes extra flight time. Testers reporting around 2 extra minutes.

We tried that sanding logo's several years ago with Phantom props and was just a waste of time on our part.
Don't think there wasn't much we didn't't try to improve our birds . Those you could do some things to but these not so much . Other than modifying the software which I don't do .

Apologies if this has already been covered, I've searched in various areas of this website, but cannot find anything specific to my question.
If you polished off the serial numbers, manufacturer logo and mould markings off props, would the aircraft be quieter, be slightly quicker, and extend the flight time/battery life due to slightly less drag?
As stated in response #4 above, the gain you get in removing the moulding would be negated by the disruption to the laminar flow over the surface of the prop' due to the imperfections you'd introduce during the abrasive process you used to remove those mouldings. The logo's etc. are usually on top and near the hub of the prop' where the course pitch and action of the propeller is more about the underside 'pushing' air downwards against the direction of spin than acting as an airfoil ...

The numbers and logo are near the hub and shouldn't make any difference. Top end prop makers such as MASTER AIRSCREW know this from years of published testing data. If you start sanding on props like for balancing you will remove the super gloss finish which will cause drag and noise. if your props are balanced you will unbalance them. I'm getting rid of my prop balancer. I don't buy cheap after market props anymore. Original DJI Phantom props are pretty much perfectly balanced. Five sets of MASTER AIRSCREW and they are all in perfect balance. My DJI Mavic Air STEALTH Upgrade Propellers just arrived today. Claimed 50% noise reduction and up to 2.8 minutes extra flight time. Testers reporting around 2 extra minutes.
Thank you, I'm learning by the minute.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190