DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Port/Starboard navigation lights?

2greens1red

Reactions
Apologies for this basic question - I'm totally new to the Mavic Pro (Platinum) - is there a way of providing an inflight power supply to Port(red) and Starboard(green) LED nav lights on the extremities of the front legs?
I sometimes find it difficult, in sunlight, to see the rear light and judge the orientation of the aircraft.
Obviously power cables and lights would have to be as lightweight as possible.

There are strobe lights that contain rechargeable batteries. Search for "STROBON Cree" or "Firehouse strobe" on Amazon.

Yep! STROBON Cree lights are the smallest, brightest lights available. If you'd prefer a light with multiple LEDs, then check out the lights from Firehouse (which use the same LEDs). Both are great options.

Thanks, guys. Just out of interest, is there any source of low voltage power on the Mavic Pro via that USB socket on the fuselage?

Yes, thanks, I realise that, but if there was a separate power supply available from the onboard battery, then one could utilise non-strobing lights at a fraction of the cost.
But I can see strobes are going to be infinitely more visible, so I'll probably go ahead on the ones mentioned above.

Yes, thanks, I realise that, but if there was a separate power supply available from the onboard battery, then one could utilise non-strobing lights at a fraction of the cost.
But I can see strobes are going to be infinitely more visible, so I'll probably go ahead on the ones mentioned above.
Using the onboard battery would slightly reduce flight time. You’d also lose the visibility of the independently powered leds in the event of a flyaway or lost connection.

I have heard that the usb plug on the mavic will supply power to a device while it's armed and in flight someone said that they hooked a 5volt led string on it and it worked well but i have never tried it myself..

I've installed the Strobon lights recommended above (and also a white strobe at the rear of the Mavic).

However I've been told by an instructor on a recent course that I shouldn't attach them outboard on the front arms' legs as the Mavic's aerials are embedded in the vertical legs, and the strobes are going to interfere with either control or video stream signals.

Anyone got any further comments on that idea? It sounds feasible, but would appreciate any technical advice.

I asked the manufacturer (Strobon), and received this reply:

Our lights are working at only 38khz microcontroller clock rate and they cannot generate radio frequencies. So, They won't interfere with any system on your Mavic.
But, the antennas are designed to work in a free environment and near metal parts will change their tune frequency. So, better put the lights on the arms instead of the aerials.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gshu