DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Preflight check list. A short & simple one.

KBerrah

Reactions
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to build a quick "Mavic Pro Flight Check list" for newbies like me.

I would appreciate your feedback for corrections or improvements with your experience, as I'm sure I forgot some important steps. The idea is to keep it simple, in one single page, easily readable on a mobile.

Thanks for your time and fly safe!
Karim

Attachments

• Quick preflight Check List.pdf
    271 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Add to the fly zone part: Check direction of drone in the app. If the direction is incorrect I think you should recalibrate or check for interference

Hi everyone,

thanks for those of you who provided feedback and "liked it" :) I just have updated the format, added clear "Check" action, colorised what is MP, what is RC. Still on one single page. Let's keep improving it ;)

Do you recalibrate the gps when ever you change location of take off? Or do you trust the gps 110%?

Only reason I ask, I'm petrified of losing the mavic.

Reactions: Rattydude77
Do you recalibrate the gps when ever you change location of take off? Or do you trust the gps 110%?

I presume you mean compass calibration rather than gps.
I have NEVER calibrated my mavic since purchase.I have received no calibration warnings at all so I will leave well alone.
I bought a phantom 3 advanced before the mavic that went back due to compass errors on every flight.
I now believe it was me that messed up the compass by trying to calibrate it when I should of just left it alone.

Yeah sorry. Compass calibration.
To be sure, as I'm use to the phantom fc40.
As long as it says "GPS Location updated, check map" that's good to go?

Yeah sorry. Compass calibration.
To be sure, as I'm use to the phantom fc40.
As long as it says "GPS Location updated, check map" that's good to go?

If I am correct in your thinking.Yes you are good to go.
When the Mavic has enough satellites locked it will record the home point.
You will or should here the words -
The home point has been updated please check it on the map.At this point I have a check of the map for visual confirmation.
Apart from the take off area being your home point you can also set the controller to home point if required.

If you travel long distances, it's probably a good idea to recalibrate. The magnetic declination lines are real and quite different in different parts of the world, esp near the poles and if you travel far in an east-west directions. Ignoring warnings doesn't seem like the best strategy ... the compass either serves a purpose or it doesn't. I think it probably does, so it really should "know" where north actually is.

I travel a fair bit, few days ago I was in plymouth, today I'm in Corby (uk)
I think I'll continue to be safe

While I agree that the compass should be calibrated when the app prompts it's required (I never said to ignore the request) I would not otherwise calibrate.
My mavic has traveled from its country of manafacture (china) to me in the north of England.As I previously stated I have never done any of the calibrations and my mavic fly's like a dream.

I thought of doing a checklist so well done for actually doing it.
My thinking was to do the key things especially:-
#Remove the Gimbal Clamp
#Unfold the antenna - and keep them perpendicular to aircraft when at distance.
#Wait for satellites (I think 9+)

I would never have thought of "Attach Propellers" can't get into ANY trouble missing this step [emoji1]... I have never taken them off anyway and they always unfold from any position.

HAHA[emoji23],
I actually take the props off then when attaching them prior to flight I give them a good once over.

Do you think the locking tabs for the props on the motors could potentially Wear out doing it my way?.[emoji106]

Last edited:
Reactions: EJay
Thanks for sharing your checklist Scooot!
I added some of your important steps like "check RTH altitude", and added "Check Max Flight Altitude". I grouped the actions per colored block.
Scooot, my humble suggestion: maybe grouping actions together per "device" like Mobile, MP and RC ?
View media item 799

Last edited:
Reactions: scooot
Hi everyone,

I'v split the checklist in two pages, one: at home, one: flying zone.
I've removed some text and added icons from DJI quick start guide and user Manual.

Thanks and safe fly !

HAHA[emoji23],
I actually take the props off then when attaching them prior to flight I give them a good once over.

Do you think the locking tabs for the props on the motors could potentially Wear out doing it my way?.[emoji106]

Accord to dji you should not remove the props but make sure it's secure before every flight.

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate your feedback for corrections or improvements with your experience, as I'm sure I forgot some important steps. The idea is to keep it simple, in one single page, easily readable on a mobile.

Karim

Thanks for posting! Very short and useful. As newbie I am looking for these kind of documents.
Thanks, have a safe flight!

Ronald

And the big one that everyone's missed. Press the bloody Record Button. The amount of flights I've had and the epic footage I thought I had. It's my party piece :oops:

Hi everyone,

Karim

Here are my checklists for stills and video. I do not list the more obvious things like drone condition, Return Home setting etc. I just list the items which are very easy to forget with the excitement of getting airborne. I mount this on a small piece of card with Stills on one side and Video on the reverse. Note FOCUS on video. It's so easy to forget to touch focus at the start of each take.
STILLS

Batts, Card, Wind

Gimbal guard OFF

Sunshade ON

ND filter

Sport Mode?

4:3/16:9

WB

AFC ON

Custom +1 0 -1

EV comp

Bracket 3 or 5?