DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problems with compass/GPS due to recent solar flare, geomagnetic storm?

Gotcha

Reactions
Did anyone encounter compass and/or GPS problems in recent flights due to the massive solar x-ray eruptions.

Geomagnetic Storm To Hit BC After Massive Solar Flare Strikes The Earth
or
Sun firing powerful solar flares at Earth; expect auroral delights
or
GOES X-ray Flux | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

It could also effect communication between aircraft and controller.

I did not have time to fly the last couple of days, so I'm just curious if some of you had problems which could relate to those outbursts.

Reactions: Sircoynie
Flew yesterday, 9/8, no problem whatsoever.

Hi All,

I had a lot of flight in the past several days and I experinced compass error on my P3 STD on different countries of Hungary, Central Europe.

Solar flares can and do disrupt the Earths Geomagnetic field, albeit to different degrees.
Yes, you do have to watch for the K index, and when it gets spiked, I stay home. Usually it's only a day or so. No biggie, but it would be a biggie if I lost my Mavic to some "astronomical anomoly", compass error, or GPS error......

Hi again,

Today i still had issue, even the K index is 2, which is good to flight. So i took the screw driver and it's turned out the prblem is the broken compass connector on the mainboard. Idk what happened and how it is broken, but from now i know what caused the compass error on every try of flight.

High point of solar flare is supposed to effect earth today and tomorrow. (Saturday & Sunday) It takes about 2 days to reach earth.

Did anyone encounter compass and/or GPS problems in recent flights due to the massive solar x-ray eruptions.

I did not have time to fly the last couple of days, so I'm just curious if some of you had problems which could relate to those outbursts.
There has never been a single drone flying issue that could be blamed on flying in a high K-index event.
Never, nix, zilch, nada, zip, zero, none.

And there won't this time either.
It's total myth.

Reactions: Starz and sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt