DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller guards completely eliminate fears of rogue drones hurting bystanders. Why aren't they routinely used???

carchurchbook

Reactions
Propeller guards, in my experience, completely eliminate fears of rogue drones hurting bystanders. Why aren't they routinely used? I use them all all the time. It almost completely eliminates objections observers might otherwise have that a rogue drone will hit their kid and cut their head or rip out their eyes. The added weight is negligible (I use plastic guards on a Mavic Air) so flying time isn't affected. It doesn't appear to affect maneuverability, either. Please...help me understand the downside of propeller guards!

Reactions: Former Member
There really no downside when it come down to a product improving safety. Only taste and girth in my opinion.

Reactions: Former Member
And more time setting up / packing away . . . I agree propeller CAGES like the MP ones would offer some protection for human impact if they were very secure, but guards not so much.
Guards will certainly help prevent slight bumps against walls, large tree trunks, etc damaging your drone, but not the drone damaging a person so much.

Still personal choice I guess, even if it is only a perception from someone nearby it may help keep people around you calm about you flying . . . then again, we have to keep 30m (about 100') away form anyone not involved in flying the drone or an observer, so that tends to not cause concern to bystanders then.

Reactions: BigAl07
The DJI propellor guards for the Mavic 2 Pro have a considerable impact on performance and stop the operation of some of the avoidance sensors. I use them when I am flying in occupied space but they do have some negative impact and, as noted above, won't eliminate risk. Your drone falling from the sky and hitting somebody isn't going to be prevented by prop guards.

Propeller guards, in my experience, completely eliminate fears of rogue drones hurting bystanders. Why aren't they routinely used? I use them all all the time. It almost completely eliminates objections observers might otherwise have that a rogue drone will hit their kid and cut their head or rip out their eyes. The added weight is negligible (I use plastic guards on a Mavic Air) so flying time isn't affected. It doesn't appear to affect maneuverability, either. Please...help me understand the downside of propeller guards!

In my opinion, the use of prop gurads:

Pros

1. Keep you from hitting objects
  2. Keep the props from striking the ground during a hard landing
  3. Keep the props from striking the ground during an uneven landing
  4. Keep the props from striking the ground during windy conditions
  5. Act as a buffer between the ground and your drone
  6. Added weight makes the drone slightly more stable
  7. A set of 4 prop guards snap on in less than 1 minute

Cons

1. Need to reduce speed to avoid oscillation
  2. Extra item to carry (but they arent too big)
  3. Cost ($15)

The DJI propellor guards for the Mavic 2 Pro have a considerable impact on performance and stop the operation of some of the avoidance sensors. I use them when I am flying in occupied space but they do have some negative impact and, as noted above, won't eliminate risk. Your drone falling from the sky and hitting somebody isn't going to be prevented by prop guards.

Could you please be more specific when you say that "propeller guards for the Mavic 2 Pro have a considerable impact on performance."

No, prop guards wont stop your Mavic from falling from the sky, because, based on my experience with thousands of repairs, mavics dont fall from the sky unless there is operator error such as mislatched batteries, props that werent mounted correctly, etc.

Has your Mavic 2 fallen from the sky?

Reactions: CJH92474 and dfb

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I will continue using prop guards to relieve the anxiety of anyone crossing my path while I fly my drone.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The added weight is negligible (I use plastic guards on a Mavic Air) so flying time isn't affected.
The weight might not be great but the wind resistance and sail area is.
Prop guards will reduce your top speed and increase the surface area.
That's going to reduce your ability to deal fight the wind and increase the wind's ability to push the drone around.
It almost completely eliminates objections observers might otherwise have that a rogue drone will hit their kid and cut their head or rip out their eyes.
If you are close enough to other people while flying that those concerns are legitimate, you are flying too close to those people.
Usually if you think prop guards are the answer, flying in a different location is a better answer.

Prop cage will stop a prop strike on a person but they won’t numb the pain of a 1kg mass hitting you at 50 or 60 kms.

Reactions: philbr118
It will eliminate cuts from props but a drone travelling at potentially 20mph plus will still do lots of damage so how about not flying near bystanders ???

Reactions: Peter Hughes
After reading all the comments, I will order some prop guides for my Mavic Pro 2. Each side presents valid points. The prop cages are just another tool in the practice of flying drones and should be used when needed and detached when they will hinder the operation.

DKM

Safe Flying

Thanks to all who responded to my post. I will continue using prop guards to relieve the anxiety of anyone crossing my path while I fly my drone.
While I usually use prop guards, I think it’s an overstatement to say that concerns about blades cutting someone are a huge (or the only/biggest) concern from bystanders (aside from my non-Mensa-member relative who though it’d be cool to try to catch my Air. The drone won). Based on reading here and just hearing anecdotal stories, the bigger concern (aside from “spying” paranoia) is the sheer weight involved if one should crash. Granted, an errant drone’s prop cutting someone is probably actually a greater (though still very small) risk, so your point is well taken.

And also, I heard someone say recently that noises from propellers could cause cancer.

Reactions: Robknappy
I just received a set for the Mavic 2 and haven't yet flown with them. Whether at the coast around pelicans and seagulls or inland with hawks and turkey vultures, there have been some close calls, even when hovering.

I suppose I'm hoping that if there is a bump (vs an all out collision) the bird will avoid serious injury and the Mavic may recover vs falling from the sky.

Or is that a false sense of security?

Are there prop cages that fit the mavic 2 pro? I had ordered a set that came from dji and they fit the front properly, haviing a cut out for but the rear had no cut outs and would not sit securely. I will likely have to catch my mavic during rough seas when a landing will not be preferred.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N