DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller Stuck Down M2P

Jimodo

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

After a few flights without removing the propellers when packing away, I've noticed when carrying out some basic maintenance, one of the propellers is stuck fixed into place, almost as if it's been pushed down. I haven't crashed the it or had any collisions, the only moment I can recall is landing next to a few strands of very thin grass which caught a propeller but thought nothing of it.

Has anyone had this issue before and knows the best way to remove without damaging the motor?

Cheers,
James

Are you turning the motor/prop in the right direction after you press down on the propellor or are you suggesting that the spring that keeps the mounting tabs locked in position can't be compressed? It might be possible that something has got under the hub preventing you from pushing the prop down. It might even be one of the three screws on top of the motor rotor has worked its way out although I have never heard of that happening.

Are you turning the motor/prop in the right direction after you press down on the propellor or are you suggesting that the spring that keeps the mounting tabs locked in position can't be compressed? It might be possible that something has got under the hub preventing you from pushing the prop down. It might even be one of the three screws on top of the motor rotor has worked its way out although I have never heard of that happening.

Cheers for replying.

The propeller won't push down to spring at all so I can't turn it to remove.

I use a fairly snug case for my MP2. I have to take the props off every time. It's not a big deal to remove and install them and makes for a better preflight inspection. I give the hooks a slight squeeze to see if they're cracked. Also worried about stress on the props, prop shaft, rivets and possible warping of the props when packed and traveling .

Ok. So find out what is stoping the spring from compressing. Please let us know what you find.

I can't see anything after inspection and don't fancy forcing it around risking damage.

Any recommendations re. removing?

Coming from my line of work (A&P mechanic and Inspector) I would use a pair of soft jaw pliers aka canon plug pliers to grasp the motor housing then another pair of pliers to remove the prop. The prop would be lost but my biggest concern is how hard the motor casing is. Even with soft jaws, it might be possible to crush the housing enough to take it out of round and jam the motor.
Another idea is to drill out the prop rivets and take the prop out piece by piece. The drone would have to be upside down and held securely. A #40 bit might work a #30 might be too big.
I've never had my Mavic apart. Wonder if the prop shaft is accessible from the bottom side if the motor is removed from the arm?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 9.16.26 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 9.16.26 AM.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 7
Is it possible that a piece of debris got caught underneath the prop hub stopping it from pusing down. Maybe try some strong glasses or a magnifying glass with a strong light to look in between the prop and the motor.

I've always been concerned about warping the props if AC stored with props on.
But many do it and I haven't heard anyone claim any problems so perhaps I really shouldn't be too concerned about that, only that the props might get snagged in the FlyMore bag.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31