DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you prefer hard shell case or soft sided case?

• Hard shell

Votes: 42 37.5%
  • Soft sided

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • Depends on where I'm going

Votes: 39 34.8%

• Total voters

51 Drones

Reactions
I'm just curious as to everyone's primary choice for carrying your MP? Do you like a hard case, soft case, hybrid, or what? I really like a hard shell case because I love the durability and security, but it I have found that most people prefer a soft-sided shoulder bag type. Am I weird?

I like to carry my Mavic in my Go Professional case. Even though it's a hard case, it's still fairly small and it has enough room to hold everything I need.

IMG_2522.JPG
IMG_2526.JPG

Last edited:
I'd say it depends on your needs and hard or soft shell is incidental to availability of what fits your needs.
I wanted to carry my mavic in the topcase of my motorcycle and have it easy to pop out. I also wanted the ability to carry a iPad mini relatively protected plus my Sony mirrorless digital camera. That pretty much dictated a small photo backpack, Amazon has a cheapo for around $25 that is just about perfect for my needs as it carries everything I mentioned and a skosh extra for the charger when I'm on the road.
Anyway - point being it seems like all the hardshell cases are pretty much dedicated to only a MP, 3 batteries, remote and maybe room for a charger. Those hardshells are also a tad over built IMHO adding weight and volume to what was supposed to be a svelte small package - otherwise get a Phantom.
Then there are molded shell packs that are like backpacks but have a quasi rigid molded shell. I would have loved one of these but none had any extra space - just the standard Mavic list I detailed before.

It seems to me that with equipment there are two endpoint types with folks falling somewhere between the two:
Backpackers - they travel light and with a minimal of equipment. Hop on a bike, ride to location, schlep to the top of a ridge, pop the top of your pack in a clearing and turn her loose.
Kitchen sinkers: They love to have all the accouterments; vest, pylons, landing pad, Mavic, ground control case, tripod - they need a pickup truck to schlep their stuff to a site to fly. Pretty much they fly where they park unless they remembered to bring the pack horses and Sherpa guides. ;)

So which type you lean towards will pretty much factor into the discussion at hand of case type.

I'd say it depends on your needs and hard or soft shell is incidental to availability of what fits your needs.
I wanted to carry my mavic in the topcase of my motorcycle and have it easy to pop out. I also wanted the ability to carry a iPad mini relatively protected plus my Sony mirrorless digital camera. That pretty much dictated a small photo backpack, Amazon has a cheapo for around $25 that is just about perfect for my needs as it carries everything I mentioned and a skosh extra for the charger when I'm on the road.
Anyway - point being it seems like all the hardshell cases are pretty much dedicated to only a MP, 3 batteries, remote and maybe room for a charger. Those hardshells are also a tad over built IMHO adding weight and volume to what was supposed to be a svelte small package - otherwise get a Phantom.
Then there are molded shell packs that are like backpacks but have a quasi rigid molded shell. I would have loved one of these but none had any extra space - just the standard Mavic list I detailed before.

It seems to me that with equipment there are two endpoint types with folks falling somewhere between the two:
Backpackers - they travel light and with a minimal of equipment. Hop on a bike, ride to location, schlep to the top of a ridge, pop the top of your pack in a clearing and turn her loose.
Kitchen sinkers: They love to have all the accouterments; vest, pylons, landing pad, Mavic, ground control case, tripod - they need a pickup truck to schlep their stuff to a site to fly. Pretty much they fly where they park unless they remembered to bring the pack horses and Sherpa guides. ;)

So which type you lean towards will pretty much factor into the discussion at hand of case type.
I said "quick" opinion Brojon! Lol!

So far the DJI soft cast has met my needs.
Sometimes I put it into the smaller, slightly harder, amazon case that only fits the drone. (separate case for controller, batteries in individual LiPo bags)

If I'm ever transporting it in a way that a hard case is required, I'll get one. But for hiking, biking, car-trips, etc. Soft bag stuffed in a backpack has been just fine.

I see some folks 4 wheeling with them (rough bumpy off road transport). I'd get a hard case if I was doing that..

I mostly use this one but also have those soft ones to put in a backpack if needed. Hard one sits in floorboard good .IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG

Reactions: LongRifle
Hard case for me ..

8c390ba82ee20340e0bcacb98344e517.jpg

First, is Brojon and Dirkcloud related? Their profile pics are mighty similar. They could be brothers or at least cousins.

I personally have the purse that came with the combo, a Lowepro Droneguard BP 200 backpack and the SKB Mavic hard case. The backpack is nice because it packs tons off stuff besides my Mavic. I use the hardcase the most because I take my drone to construction sites and I was concerned for its safety.20171101_011102.jpg

Reactions: masic
I love my go professional case, I've used a razor blade to make more room in different areas of the case, no Problem getting my iPad mini 4 in and 5 batteries. I can post a picture of how I did it if anybody's interested.

Let see !!!

I’m more than happy with the soft case provided with the Flymore kit. In it, I carry the Mavic, controller, two spare batteries, extension feet, and controller sun hood.

As Brojon said above, the attraction of the Mavic is it’s very portable. If we move to large hard cases, we may as well opt for the Phantom, as it’s faster to set up for flying straight out of the case. I don’t see the point of carrying a charger. The place for the charger is at the point where you plug it in, not out and about.

By the way, is the opening poster the same 51 Drones I subscribe to on YouTube?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKAms