DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you prefer hard shell case or soft sided case?

• Hard shell

Votes: 42 37.5%
  • Soft sided

Votes: 31 27.7%
  • Depends on where I'm going

Votes: 39 34.8%

• Total voters
I recently ordered a case from Tomcase, the Travel Edition. I have been looking for the most compact hard case with the most efficient storage (for me...).
So far I love it. Smaller than I thought and can carry everything I need, even my iPad mini 4! And some room left for another battery and ND filters.

full

full

full

Reactions: Julio9956
First, is Brojon and Dirkcloud related? Their profile pics are mighty similar. They could be brothers or at least cousins.
Jus' two ugly muthas from the Southern swamps... lol, avatar is actually from one of my favorite games. I dunno what significance it has for Dirk.

I recently ordered a case from Tomcase, the Travel Edition. I have been looking for the most compact hard case with the most efficient storage (for me...).
So far I love it. Smaller than I thought and can carry everything I need, even my iPad mini 4! And some room left for another battery and ND filters.
I'm guessing you lay the iPad over the top of stuff? I would think that's kind of risky.

I'm guessing you lay the iPad over the top of stuff? I would think that's kind of risky.

It fits in the top right corner just fine, only resting on the charger, battery and partially the Mavic. The top foam is soft enough for the iPad to sink into it.
I'm always careful not having to apply too much force when closing the case.
An alternative is to put the iPad between the top foam layer (removable) and the case lid. Stays where you put it and pretty safe.

I’m more than happy with the soft case provided with the Flymore kit. In it, I carry the Mavic, controller, two spare batteries, extension feet, and controller sun hood.

As Brojon said above, the attraction of the Mavic is it’s very portable. If we move to large hard cases, we may as well opt for the Phantom, as it’s faster to set up for flying straight out of the case. I don’t see the point of carrying a charger. The place for the charger is at the point where you plug it in, not out and about.

By the way, is the opening poster the same 51 Drones I subscribe to on YouTube?

Yes sir. Thanks for being a subscriber!

Reactions: Ping^Spike
The main reason I chose the Mavic was its portability. I started using a Pelican case but soon realized the down side of putting a compact system into a bigger/heavier suitcase. It also presented a problem when I wanted to walk around while flying. I could not fly and carry the case and where I was at I could not leave the case behind.

My Mavic, remote, tablet, connector cable, tablet holder, ND filters, battery adapter, two extra batteries, spare props, lens cleaner, and lens hood all fit in the fly more combo bag (I know, hard to believe). Its lighter weight, draws less attention, and with the bag in front of me supported by the shoulder strap it allows me to rest the remote control on it while flying. I do not know if it was me tensing up in my early flights, but I found my arms would start to fatigue by the third battery. Resting the remote on the bag while flying was a better solution for me.

The main reason I chose the Mavic was its portability. I started using a Pelican case but soon realized the down side of putting a compact system into a bigger/heavier suitcase. It also presented a problem when I wanted to walk around while flying. I could not fly and carry the case and where I was at I could not leave the case behind.

My Mavic, remote, tablet, connector cable, tablet holder, ND filters, battery adapter, two extra batteries, spare props, lens cleaner, and lens hood all fit in the fly more combo bag (I know, hard to believe). Its lighter weight, draws less attention, and with the bag in front of me supported by the shoulder strap it allows me to rest the remote control on it while flying. I do not know if it was me tensing up in my early flights, but I found my arms would start to fatigue by the third battery. Resting the remote on the bag while flying was a better solution for me.

I get your point, I too like the portability of the Mavic! I will modify the case so I can attach a shoulder strap to it, will make it a bit more portable.
Could you upload some pics of how you manage to fit everything in the bag? Everything you mention are the things I carry with me as well!

full

full

full
Been looking at a backpack type, does this fit in a backpack?

I get your point, I too like the portability of the Mavic! I will modify the case so I can attach a shoulder strap to it, will make it a bit more portable.
Could you upload some pics of how you manage to fit everything in the bag? Everything you mention are the things I carry with me as well!
Will do - when I get home in a few hours.

I really do like the look of that Tomcase. A shoulder strap would allow you to carry it while flying.

Been looking at a backpack type, does this fit in a backpack?

It does fit in my bag, though my backpack (5.11 Rush 72) is quite big and it does take up around 2/3 of space. I think it will fit most medium and large sized backpacks.

Does anyone have a hard case big enough to store their mavic unfolded?

I need one for when I’m going to fly where I park in multiple locations so don’t want to keep folding/unfolding the arms

I have the small dji bag and can easily get the mavic controller and two spare batteries. Fits my needs.

...Could you upload some pics of how you manage to fit everything in the bag? Everything you mention are the things I carry with me as well!
Will do - when I get home in a few hours.
Here you go. I like how you can check the battery status while they are in the case.
photo 1.JPG photo1b.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

Last edited:
Hard case for me ..

8c390ba82ee20340e0bcacb98344e517.jpg

This is the exact same case I have ordered along with a light weight backpack for mountain trips.

Is there a place for a full size (9.7" iPad)?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure