DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range Boosters do they work?

My Zoom came with one I barely use, I saw a video on utube a guy used aluminum foil to boost his antenna. I never flew mine far away to see the full range, I also noticed my Ipad mini 4 start freezing up, loosing signal when I pass a mile range, at this point I am not sure if the drone or the tablet is the issue. I tried my antenna booster before and didn't noticed any difference.

Without getting into the nitty-gritty of RF design, if done properly they will shape and reflect the signal emitted by the antennae so that more of the emitted radio waves are transmitted towards the drone. Similarly, they should bounce more of the received signal back onto the antenna, boosting the apparent amplitude they sees.

The should, however, be constructed taking into account the properties of the specific frequencies and amplitudes being used to gain the maximum benefit. Failing to do this, as is likely with a DIY tin-foil approach, could quite likely actually end up reducing the range of the signal. Frankly, given even the stock antennae is pretty good to around 5km (probably further, but that's the max I've gone so far), unless you're in the habit of doing very long range flights or are getting alarms about strong RF interference on a regular basis they're probably not worth the bother.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB