DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range with Mavic Zoom and Goggles RE

Question for the group,

Has anyone come up with a workaround to bypass the wireless connection on the RE Goggles and link it directly through the USB hub with a cable on the Mavic 2 Pro’s RC?

I‘m very curious to read your report...

I finally got a chance to read all the posts on this topic at the DJI forum.
I kept the link frequency of the goggles on auto (2.4 & 5.8) with 20 Hz range. I attached the pegoda antenna and noticed the resolution in the goggles showed “live 720p30” but can’t remember if I set that value in the settings of the goggles or App on my phone.
Good news is I managed to triple my previous flight at the same spot.
I had excellent vision in the goggles out to beyond 1 km (3000 ft) with no loss of video feed.

Last edited:
Not sure why the antenna should help. According to DJI, THAT antenna is not used for OcuSync 2

I tried it and the antenna makes all the difference, I don’t know why but I managed beyond 1000m in a forest setting flying at 35m alt.

I tried it and the antenna makes all the difference, I don’t know why but I managed beyond 1000m in a forest setting flying at 35m alt.
Don't make no sense to me??????? DJI says it's only used for racing drones. I'll give it a try once this snow storms stops!!!!!

Don't make no sense to me??????? DJI says it's only used for racing drones. I'll give it a try once this snow storms stops!!!!!

I have a feeling that all the antenna does is activated the 720p30 option which then gives further distance???
All I do know though is it definitely worked for me.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Same problem here in Auckland with brand new mavic 2 pro and RE goggles. I really like the goggles immersion flying but at around 100ft the video goes greyscale and blocky then the mavic disconnects from the R/C. Upgraded to latest firmware; same problem.. Turning the goggles off restores connection within seconds. Took it back to retailer they had the same issue with the mavic 2 zoom. The gave me a brand new set of goggles but exactly the same problem appeared. Distance not much affected but over 100ft altitude the RE goggles are useless.
tbony

Now that I received them the fitting on them are a lot smaller then the Pagoda antenna???? Is their a fitting that will work on the RE goggles???? Thanks for any help. Chuck
I just got a response from DJI, they said the cylindrical antenna will not work on the RE Goggles. Use the Pagoda antenna. Sending them back to Amazon.

Hello Folk.
Been raining here so haven't been out till now. 26 Nov.
I put on the pagoda antenna on my RE Goggles not expecting it to work but voila!! .
Perfect video till over 400ft altitude. No blockyness. no greyscale.
R/C rock solid all the way no disconnection problems. So went out to a couple of kilometres no problems. Flew with gimbal head tracking.
I know it is not supposed to work in theory but it works in practice. Figure out the theory later.
Many thanks for your helpful suggestions

Hello Folk.
Been raining here so haven't been out till now. 26 Nov.
I put on the pagoda antenna on my RE Goggles not expecting it to work but voila!! .
Perfect video till over 400ft altitude. No blockyness. no greyscale.
R/C rock solid all the way no disconnection problems. So went out to a couple of kilometres no problems. Flew with gimbal head tracking.
I know it is not supposed to work in theory but it works in practice. Figure out the theory later.
Many thanks for your helpful suggestions

It’s good you tried it and it worked. I don’t think it’s a complete solution but maybe DJI has a better fix soon.

the reason of poor range is probably in HW difference, googles Re is Occusync1 and M2 is occu2, there is some backward compatibility and M2 switches to Occu1 mode when goggles is connected but with some performance loss..

Reactions: WAXMAN
the reason of poor range is probably in HW difference, googles Re is Occusync1 and M2 is occu2, there is some backward compatibility and M2 switches to Occu1 mode when goggles is connected but with some performance loss..

Not sure that this is the real reason. Based on my tests and observed behavior it seems more like a fundamental control protocol issue. For example, if there are no goggles and all is set to Automatic the GO 4 app is in charge to manage channel and frequency changes communicating to the M2 via RC to switch. The M2 behaves in a subordinate mode. When you add the Goggles, there is a separate connection between the M2 and the goggles. The firmware in the goggles essentially behaves much like the GO 4 app in the it wants to communicate to the M2 to switch channel/frequency if needed. The two simply collide and neither will end up knowing what the frequency should be - hence complete and abrupt loss of connection. DJI has to change/add handshake options to force the goggles to take a subordinate role when an RC is connected as well.

So if I force the frequency/channel to a fixed setting after initial RC connection to the M2 BEFORE turning on the goggles and the start the goggles, the goggles appear to be “told” during the M2 handshake that the coms are fixed (M2 can’t change) and everything works great. I flew well over 2 miles from home point without any problems.

So, once the “B engineering team” (goggle team[emoji1]) figures that out and coordinates this substantial (but not very difficult to solve) change to the ongoing handshake protocol some future firmware change affecting all components will make this all work great. Meanwhile follow my approach - I hope it will work for you too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes