DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range with Mavic Zoom and Goggles RE

Not sure that this is the real reason. Based on my tests and observed behavior it seems more like a fundamental control protocol issue. For example, if there are no goggles and all is set to Automatic the GO 4 app is in charge to manage channel and frequency changes communicating to the M2 via RC to switch. The M2 behaves in a subordinate mode. When you add the Goggles, there is a separate connection between the M2 and the goggles. The firmware in the goggles essentially behaves much like the GO 4 app in the it wants to communicate to the M2 to switch channel/frequency if needed. The two simply collide and neither will end up knowing what the frequency should be - hence complete and abrupt loss of connection. DJI has to change/add handshake options to force the goggles to take a subordinate role when an RC is connected as well.

So if I force the frequency/channel to a fixed setting after initial RC connection to the M2 BEFORE turning on the goggles and the start the goggles, the goggles appear to be “told” during the M2 handshake that the coms are fixed (M2 can’t change) and everything works great. I flew well over 2 miles from home point without any problems.

So, once the “B engineering team” (goggle team[emoji1]) figures that out and coordinates this substantial (but not very difficult to solve) change to the ongoing handshake protocol some future firmware change affecting all components will make this all work great. Meanwhile follow my approach - I hope it will work for you too.
Makes sense to me Roamer - the controller settings change when using the goggles (the custom buttons change to a preset forced by the goggles) which is part of what makes me believe you are spot on - the goggles take over somewhat...

I too have the RE - good for zipping around close by - but standing in the same spot on the same flight (chasing my sis in law car home) i got out to 500m - and was choppy and almost disconnecting - told my son to turn off the goggles - bang instant solid connection - flew to 2.5km away before it got choppy again (metro area) - all in the same flight.

Looking forward to them sorting it.

Reactions: Maxta97
Since it might be a while (or never) in regards to DJI putting out a fix on the widespread M2P to Goggles RE range issue, I am looking for suggestions or a hack to connect / hard wire the RC to the M2P

I already tried connecting from the USB port on the bottom of the RC to the micro HDMI port on the Goggles RE with no success.

I am wide open to trying any ideas that anyone has here on how to hard wire the two together…

Thanks

Reactions: TR Ganey
I got mine to work!! I went into the HD menu and set the Channel from Dual to 2.4 GHz. I then set the Channel Mode to Custom and choose 20 MHz. Once all this was done I turned on the goggles. I was able to fly over 2 miles and back with the goggles! All in glorious HD. Let me know if this works for any of the rest of you.

Wow!
I have a Mavic 2 pro but without the pagoda antenna screwed in the video goes blocky and the R/C disconnects at around 30ft. No troubles at all with the pagoda antenna screwed in.
Strange!

Is the range issue also present with the white goggles? I see there is a long thread (since sept) over at official DJI forum about mavic 2+RE range issue.

And, is the RE worth the extra money over the white ones for non racing use?

I talked to a dji expert here and he looked at me as if I were stupid. "How do you expect the signal to get out without an antenna?"
Go figure!

Since it might be a while (or never) in regards to DJI putting out a fix on the widespread M2P to Goggles RE range issue, I am looking for suggestions or a hack to connect / hard wire the RC to the M2P

I already tried connecting from the USB port on the bottom of the RC to the micro HDMI port on the Goggles RE with no success.

I am wide open to trying any ideas that anyone has here on how to hard wire the two together…

Thanks
I thought DJI made cables for their goggles for the drones without occusync? Why couldnt this RC connect like the Spark or Air with cables?

I just did another run with the goggles using the settings I described above in another post. I went 16,100 feet and back with no issues.

Yes. I had the Pagoda antenna screwed in. I'm not sure it it is actually being used when flying the Mavic 2. From my understanding the 2 antennas being used are in the headband of the goggles. The pagoda antenna is for 5.8 GHz anlog signals.

Mavic 2 pro:-
Have you tried without the pagoda antenna?
I cannot get a legible video above 50-100ft. Not only that the R/C disconnects as we and triggers return to home.
With the antenna screwed in no problems at all. DJI (Auckland) gave me a replacement RE Goggles but got the same problem with those ones as well.
The Pagoda antenna solved the problem completely but I haven't been above 400ft.
As the "expert" commented to me "How do you think the signal gets out without an antenna?"

I just did another run with the goggles using the settings I described above in another post. I went 16,100 feet and back with no issues.
Im very curious, what sort of area do you fly in? (Over lake/ocean, over beaches, or in suburban/residential, wifi rich areas).

Im asking because Im starting to think that the entire issue revolves around how the Goggles RE handles RF interference, compared to the M2 alone. I say this because Ive actually had 2 good, uninterrupted flights, but both were over Lake Michigan. Where as the rest, totally crap 1000ft and signal gone, B&W screen, were all just inland from thst spot, where there are apartments and homes, all with wifi, Im sure and I feel that is no coincidence. Let us know!

I am flying in an area of desert. Mostly open with some sparse areas of homes, power lines, cell towers and broadband broadcasting. If I let the drone, controller and goggles just turn and fly in the default boot up mode I only get about 4000 feet before the dreaded B&W screen. If I make the changes I described in the earlier post before I turn on the goggles I do not have these issues.

I had one more test today. It was runway at old airport inside the city. Lever of interference was not high. HD mode was Dual and Auto, without Pagoda. 2500 m without any problem with full scale of signal. I use CE mode only, not FCC. I finished the test because this range is enough for me. I consider that just bad environment’s conditions with strong interference can reflect to Mavic 2 and Goggles RE range. Settings and Pagoda are not so important.

Last edited:
Makes sense to me Roamer - the controller settings change when using the goggles (the custom buttons change to a preset forced by the goggles) which is part of what makes me believe you are spot on - the goggles take over somewhat...

I too have the RE - good for zipping around close by - but standing in the same spot on the same flight (chasing my sis in law car home) i got out to 500m - and was choppy and almost disconnecting - told my son to turn off the goggles - bang instant solid connection - flew to 2.5km away before it got choppy again (metro area) - all in the same flight.

Looking forward to them sorting it.
Based on what you have said when you activate your goggles the antennas inside the said goggles take over as the Tx and Rx is that correct ? Although if that is the case how are the controls on the Tx controlling the M2 ? Sorry if it sounds confusing. The main reason for my injury is i have the Titan Switch Antennas set up and if the goggles take over when connected then it makes them useless when used together. Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu