DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Range with Mavic Zoom and Goggles RE

These arguments make no sense to me. Why should I force it to use 2.4 GHz if 5.8 GHz works just fine? It’s not difficult. Attach the antenna, issues go away.
It's not that easy. I have my antenna attached and it still has complete signal failures. Works great at close range. But not at 1500 meters.

Reviving this thread. Is the problem still existant with m2z or the m2p? Or does attaching the antenna actually work? Pretty close in buying these but not too sure since lots of complaints. Also, does anyone know if the occusync on the RE is actually 50ms or 110ms like the white googles?

Reviving this thread. Is the problem still existant with m2z or the m2p? Or does attaching the antenna actually work? Pretty close in buying these but not too sure since lots of complaints. Also, does anyone know if the occusync on the RE is actually 50ms or 110ms like the white googles?
I pretty much gave up on this issue, as far as the forums go. It was soaking up endless hrs, without great results, and definitely NOT with ADVERTISED RESULTS 8km.

However, I didnt stop doing my own tests, trying to find a solution.

Heres some of my observations going back to 2018...

• I run a M2Z & Goggles RE combo (from the Sep 2018 batch, so no new core board for me)
• I acquired a Smart Controller mid 2019, but do switch back to standard RC, when testing fw, etc.
• Re: SRC, some stated it immediately gave them great results? It changed nothing for me.

Ill start by giving you my PRE-.400 FW exp's:

1) Very repeatably, I was hitting a 'WALL' at 1000ft/300m, with full disconnect, B&W screen, no ctrl UNTIL the Goggles were powered off, then 100% signal, onwards for 2+ miles (just as you've read elsewhere, I imagine)
2) Above results were same, with & without the Pagoda antenna, also with & without switching to 2.4G band.
3) Above results were in most rf enviroments, with anywhere from a few homes w/ wifi to a full blown city center!
4) ONE OUTLIER though was when Id fly directly out over Lk Mich where there was ZERO RF interference (spectrum analyzer verified).
On EVERY occasion I went directly out over the Lake, I would get out 2-2.5mi without any signal loss, AND without using pagoda!!!
I only turned around for my own sanity, due to wind.

SUMMARY PRE- .400 FW:
• Signal w/ Goggles RE was strong, when ALL RF Interf was completely absent.
• Even the slightest RF interference = B&W screen at 300m, every time.
(This tells me its mostly, a software issue, especially since M2/Occusync 2.0 is SDR as opposed to the M1/Occusync 1.0 being HDR. (SDR/HDR = Software/Hardware Defined Radio)

Fast forward to POST-.400 fFW:
• After installing .400 (still the same with the .510)
1) Now The 'WALL' distance varies more, instead of it being solid disconnect at 300m, its dependent more on rf environment now, but generally, unless going over Lake, Im losing signal between 200m to 500m, so yes better but not really!
2) BUT THEN, against many superiorly intelligent peoples advice, I ADDED THE PAGODA ANTENNA (which Im well aware is meant for analog fpv 5G band ops) and it showed a DRASTIC IMPROVEMENT:
• With the Pagoda, I can run out past 1mi no problem, but then get pixelation in the 2mi area, depending on rf enviroment (homes with wifi, etc)
(Note: 2mi is just fine for me, so thats why youll not hear me mention further)

SUMMARY POST-.400 FW:
• While 2mi is a great improvement over 300m, Its still NOT FIXED, imo, as I still have to use a detachable antenna, which isnt even designed to be part of the digital system, yet the signal is crap without it, not to mention that 2mi is still nowhere close to that 8km, DJI went on and on about!

• I believe its an issue dealing with how RF Interf is handled in the Master/Slave coding relationship that the Goggles RE has with the M2, but there may be a hardware issue they dont want to fully admit to, as it would result in a costly recall. (RE's havent had new FW update in nearly a year?)

So youll have to decide for yourself, if thats good enough!
Hey you might get lucky, and not have any issues at all.

I wish you luck!

Sorry this is a bit lengthy

Woah killa, great job. Good breakdown. Seems like there is a major hardware flaw with the system since software would have been fixed long ago I think. Any idea if the white goggles act the same or just the RE? One more question, how would anyone go about knowing or asking for a 2019 build date for the new core? Or is it luck of the draw?

I pretty much gave up on this issue,
I wish you luck!

Sorry this is a bit lengthy

Thank you so much for an excellent assessment of the M2Z / RE Goggles compatibility in respect to reception and distance reached.
I have used this combination with the Pagoda to reach 2.5 km with unbroken video through the RE and LOS at altitude of 120m. I don’t have any interest in achieving record distances but do appreciate the great reception when flying through semi dense Australian bush, less distance but more fun with my preferred style of cruising through the scenery.

My rig is Mavic 2 zoom,Smart controller,and DJI goggles RE ,had them for around 5 months.
I was managing around 2,000 metre in good conditions with clear line of sight,when using the goggles with the pagoda Ariel.
Without warning they now only manage 300 metre ,with or without the ariel attached.
Nothing was updated or changed before this happened.
After rolling back and updating back to the latest firmware etc etc the range did not improve.
When I contacted DJI they told me,as I was in Thailand I would have to go through the seller i bought the goggles from,due to Thailand customs issues.
When I contacted the online seller,their DJI agent informed me that they would have to send them to China where they were made,........but it could take up to 3/4 months due to a backlog if I wanted to go ahead with the repair.
Dji have more or less palmed me off,and try to avoid and ignore dialogue regarding how many re owners have faulty goggles with a max 300 metre range.
All the insincere wording in there emails just makes you feel it‘s automated,and reply’s on the forum starting with “Thanks for reaching out” oh please...? pass the sick bag.
Lawyers have obviously warned about accident liability's etc if a product recall was issued.
Still selling them as if there is not a range problem, when they know there is for a noticeable % of owners ,is dishonest.
Because I have the smart controller,at least I can still use the goggle via the Hdmi output,but no head tracking ?etc
It seems a complete lottery if you get a pair that go beyond 300 meter,or in my case,dont revert back to that distance.

My rig is Mavic 2 zoom,Smart controller,and DJI goggles RE ,had them for around 5 months.
I was managing around 2,000 metre in good conditions with clear line of sight,when using the goggles with the pagoda Ariel.
Without warning they now only manage 300 metre ,with or without the ariel attached.
Nothing was updated or changed before this happened.
After rolling back and updating back to the latest firmware etc etc the range did not improve.
When I contacted DJI they told me,as I was in Thailand I would have to go through the seller i bought the goggles from,due to Thailand customs issues.
When I contacted the online seller,their DJI agent informed me that they would have to send them to China where they were made,........but it could take up to 3/4 months due to a backlog if I wanted to go ahead with the repair.
Dji have more or less palmed me off,and try to avoid and ignore dialogue regarding how many re owners have faulty goggles with a max 300 metre range.
All the insincere wording in there emails just makes you feel it‘s automated,and reply’s on the forum starting with “Thanks for reaching out” oh please...? pass the sick bag.
Lawyers have obviously warned about accident liability's etc if a product recall was issued.
Still selling them as if there is not a range problem, when they know there is for a noticeable % of owners ,is dishonest.
Because I have the smart controller,at least I can still use the goggle via the Hdmi output,but no head tracking ?etc
It seems a complete lottery if you get a pair that go beyond 300 meter,or in my case,dont revert back to that distance.
Just been out today with the goggles connected via HDMI to SC..both auto dual,and custom 2.4 had very limited range .
Goggles were not connected via WiFi,but still manage to interfere.
As soon as goggles are disconnected,long range returns to normal.
A rep did call me,and looks like I will get a repair done locally some time soon,so let's see what develops.
I love my goggles and much prefer to fly with them on,I have a variety of focus fixers to suit all ages who have had a flight,so frustrating that the mavic 2 re combo has so many dissapointed owners.

No, without any other antenna.The pagoda antenna doesn’t have to do with the mavic’s oqusinc transmission system, it’s just for analog 5,8 ghz transmission system for racers.

This is my first video with the dji goggles RE. 4km very easy at low altitude ,just 10 meters from the ground.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Just been out today with the goggles connected via HDMI to SC..both auto dual,and custom 2.4 had very limited range .
Goggles were not connected via WiFi,but still manage to interfere.
As soon as goggles are disconnected,long range returns to normal.
A rep did call me,and looks like I will get a repair done locally some time soon,so let's see what develops.
I love my goggles and much prefer to fly with them on,I have a variety of focus fixers to suit all ages who have had a flight,so frustrating that the mavic 2 re combo has so many dissapointed owners.
Hello,
Many of us feel your pain. It doesnt help that there seem to be RE owners that have zero issues, and that they act as though that means we must be imagining this issue! Its for sure helpful with the Pagoda, even though its only supposed to offer better reception while using the (racing) analog channels. DJI has definately crunched the numbers and found that a voluntary recall would cost more than they see us being worth, so I'm heading over to Autel land from now on...

About your issue you stated in the above quoted post.

When connecting Goggles to your SC via HDMI, your AC is still linked wirelessly, IF its last RF link was with that same aircraft. To remove the RF link, go into settings, as if your going to link the goggles again, and start the linking procedure, that will remove the previous link, which it needs to be unlinked wirelessly for the HDMI to kick in.

Power cycle the Goggles and then plug in your SC HDMI cable.

Note that the Goggles will be showing a mirror image of SC screen. You lose head tracking, the attitude indicator (middle of RE screen), and telemetry data that are normally shown on Goggles screen, but most of that info is still available on the Go4 App screen.

Hope this helps you out, This was mostly the reason I spent $$ on the Smart Controller in the first place, but youll miss the wireless link, even though range will be better.

I've come to terms with a shorter range when using RE, but its better than it was (was 300m), now its 1-1.5 mi (using the Pagoda reqd, no other chgs made, ie left in dualband auto), unless I'm in a zero RF interference area (like over large body of water, or the Boonies) then it'll match my normal RC only range, no prob... This is why I always was waiting for a FW update to fix it, but it never came.

This is my first video with the dji goggles RE. 4km very easy at low altitude ,just 10 meters from the ground.
Glad to see someone's are working pretty close to 'as advertised'.
Id surmise your environment plays a large role in your decent range

Do you ever face issues in more wifi invested/residential areas?

btw; video looked pretty good, was that SOOC?

Glad to see someone's are working pretty close to 'as advertised'.
Id surmise your environment plays a large role in your decent range

Do you ever face issues in more wifi invested/residential areas?

btw; video looked pretty good, was that SOOC?

Believe me I also fly many times inside the city with the same results, the range was excellent.Thank you , what is the SOOC?

No, without any other antenna.The pagoda antenna doesn’t have to do with the mavic’s oqusinc transmission system, it’s just for analog 5,8 ghz transmission system for racers.
I've heard both stories on this and more that it does work better with the antenna.

So that was 4km out then back 4km ?
Great if so, yet to try mine more than maybe 800m.

SOOC = Straight Out Of Camera (I would think).

Yes it was 4km maximum distance and I could go further because I was receiving good signal , I just turned back for safety issues.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Hello,
Many of us feel your pain. It doesnt help that there seem to be RE owners that have zero issues, and that they act as though that means we must be imagining this issue! Its for sure helpful with the Pagoda, even though its only supposed to offer better reception while using the (racing) analog channels. DJI has definately crunched the numbers and found that a voluntary recall would cost more than they see us being worth, so I'm heading over to Autel land from now on...

About your issue you stated in the above quoted post.

When connecting Goggles to your SC via HDMI, your AC is still linked wirelessly, IF its last RF link was with that same aircraft. To remove the RF link, go into settings, as if your going to link the goggles again, and start the linking procedure, that will remove the previous link, which it needs to be unlinked wirelessly for the HDMI to kick in.

Power cycle the Goggles and then plug in your SC HDMI cable.

Note that the Goggles will be showing a mirror image of SC screen. You lose head tracking, the attitude indicator (middle of RE screen), and telemetry data that are normally shown on Goggles screen, but most of that info is still available on the Go4 App screen.

Hope this helps you out, This was mostly the reason I spent $$ on the Smart Controller in the first place, but youll miss the wireless link, even though range will be better.

I've come to terms with a shorter range when using RE, but its better than it was (was 300m), now its 1-1.5 mi (using the Pagoda reqd, no other chgs made, ie left in dualband auto), unless I'm in a zero RF interference area (like over large body of water, or the Boonies) then it'll match my normal RC only range, no prob... This is why I always was waiting for a FW update to fix it, but it never came.
I just meant I believed the goggles were still managing to interfere..just by being powered on.
ive tried linking to an other option on the menu...pro or phantom, and after it can’t connect powering off.
The WiFi options no longer appear on the goggles menu,but the goggles still manage to effect the drone to sc signal range,that vastly improves,when goggles are powered off

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin