DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Raw images effected by D-Cinelike / D-Log

dronecrasher

Reactions
Hi, I always understood that shooting RAW images means it ignores all set settings.

But I have learned by adjusting my color tone from normal to
D-Cinelike / D-Log it does effect the raw image.

what is your best experience in terms of settings for the sharpest image? I feel none of my pictures are really sharp even though I make sure to set the focus.

+1 -1 -1

Thanks

(attached find a normal and d-log image.dng image)

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 63
I can't comment on color, but for raw, the sharpness should have no effect as it's raw. For sure on my Mavic the dngs are not effected by any sharpening settings that are being used for video. For Video, I have read both +1 +1 +1 and -1-1-1. The +1 is supposed to help remove the excessive noise reduction that DJI uses on both the Mavic and Sparks. It's way over done, just like gopro. But this is old news to most.

The Mavic however needs a color color correction due to lens cast (since the lens and sensor are so close) very similar situation that a tech camera has on medium format. If you look at the dng files in Capture One, they will show a large red color circle in the center of the image, all of them. Just lens cast. LR has a fix for this in the profile that they have and it does a very good job on most files. I prefer Capture One since it can pull a bit more detail and less noise from the raws IMO. Capture One needs a bit more handy work, as it doesn't recognize the dng as being from a drone and loads a Phase One profile. No big deal but you will need a quick lens cast correction. One works for all images as you are always on center.

I also shoot video in the D-cinelike settings. But I am much more interested in stills than video for my workflow.

Paul Caldwell

I can't comment on color, but for raw, the sharpness should have no effect as it's raw. For sure on my Mavic the dngs are not effected by any sharpening settings that are being used for video. For Video, I have read both +1 +1 +1 and -1-1-1. The +1 is supposed to help remove the excessive noise reduction that DJI uses on both the Mavic and Sparks. It's way over done, just like gopro. But this is old news to most.

The Mavic however needs a color color correction due to lens cast (since the lens and sensor are so close) very similar situation that a tech camera has on medium format. If you look at the dng files in Capture One, they will show a large red color circle in the center of the image, all of them. Just lens cast. LR has a fix for this in the profile that they have and it does a very good job on most files. I prefer Capture One since it can pull a bit more detail and less noise from the raws IMO. Capture One needs a bit more handy work, as it doesn't recognize the dng as being from a drone and loads a Phase One profile. No big deal but you will need a quick lens cast correction. One works for all images as you are always on center.

I also shoot video in the D-cinelike settings. But I am much more interested in stills than video for my workflow.

Paul Caldwell

Paul, thanks for your detailled response. Capture ONE is in the normal setting whereas Capture TWO is d-log .

Hi Dronecrasher,

Actually the Capture One is a raw conversion software, by Phase One, that I was referring to in my previous post. The dng, being a raw file, will work well with either Lightroom or Capture One, Capture One just needs a bit more setup work.

Paul Caldwell

Hi Dronecrasher,

Actually the Capture One is a raw conversion software, by Phase One, that I was referring to in my previous post. The dng, being a raw file, will work well with either Lightroom or Capture One, Capture One just needs a bit more setup work.

Paul Caldwell
I see, I misunderstood you. Thanks for clarifying

Well I am uploading pictures because I've done it and therefore I am asking for advice. How can you participate in the convo by just quoting what you have read questioning If I'm right or not?
I did not intend to offend you. I am just stating that according to Google this should not be an issue and perhaps you are messing with something in post? I frequent this forum quite often and have never seen this issue, but it is possible you are running into some sort of bug. As you said yourself, "Hi, I always understood that shooting RAW images means it ignores all set settings.". Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I will be in Colorado tomorrow so I can test it then!

I did not intend to offend you. I am just stating that according to Google this should not be an issue and perhaps you are messing with something in post? I frequent this forum quite often and have never seen this issue, but it is possible you are running into some sort of bug. As you said yourself, "Hi, I always understood that shooting RAW images means it ignores all set settings.". Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I will be in Colorado tomorrow so I can test it then!

Cool, let me know please if you experienced the same issue

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum