DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ready for water and inflight failure

I presume you've seen this video. Skip to 10.50. If your only ambtion is to recover the drone then you should be golden but these pontoons are not all theyre cracked up to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: sigi.stiemer
Hmm , if you flying over a river or the ocean will you not need a boat to go out and rescue your drone? Can't exactly fit one of those in your kit bag.

I do almost all my flying over the ocean.
Being able to fly at normal speed, for normal flight time and deal with wind is my most important safety feature.

This.

Strapping extra weight and aerodynamic/performance impediments to my quad does not seem the prudent way to go for the feet-wet flying I do over the SF Bay, waterfalls, oceans, rivers, etc.

Just because it floats, doesn't mean it's recoverable.

The only benefit I see would be if my flycam goes down on a small body of still water and I have access to a boat or Pole* that can reach it.

*I have a Polish friend with really long arms.

Reactions: Made2Phly and Meta4
Those pontoons will impact the downwash big time, and reduce the lift. With the extra weight and drag, those poor motors are going to be working overtime. I would be concerned that this type of mod would negate my care refresh policy, if it did go down.

Not all Floats are created Equal:

I have similar system for my MP2 Zoom, for when I fly over water. So far, no much down drag and handles wind just fine too. :)

Attachments

• 20190829_150331.jpg
    20190829_150331.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 33
  • 20190829_150340.jpg
    20190829_150340.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 33
Reactions: Deleted Member 997
Got the pontoons and parachute for some over water action!
Very interesting set up
Just out of curiousity, where did you get the parachute from? And how does all that extra weight affect flight time?

This.

Strapping extra weight and aerodynamic/performance impediments to my quad does not seem the prudent way to go for the feet-wet flying I do over the SF Bay, waterfalls, oceans, rivers, etc.

Just because it floats, doesn't mean it's recoverable.

The only benefit I see would be if my flycam goes down on a small body of still water and I have access to a boat or Pole* that can reach it.

*I have a Polish friend with really long arms.
Dang it. All my friends have short arms. However, I do keep an inflatable kayak in the back of the car for just that purpose.

Very interesting set up
Just out of curiousity, where did you get the parachute from? And how does all that extra weight affect flight time?
I'm still working on the tests over a lake for the whole set up. Right now it kills the battery at a hover

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200922-102507_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200922-102507_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: drakkor
Not yet man, been busy. I'm looking at finding a park with a lake to get more real world weather instead of my yard
You didn't get to take it out on the lake after all?
Weather ? A calm day is all that's needed.
All you need is full speed unmodified and full speed with all the accessories attached.

You didn't get to take it out on the lake after all?
Weather ? A calm day is all that's needed.
All you need is full speed unmodified and full speed with all the accessories attached.
Not yet, it's been raining the past 4 days here Tacoma, WA. It's sunny the next few days, so I'll try this week if I have time. Got to fly monday to Wednesday out of KBFI

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krasto