DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reckless drone flights posted on Facebook. Report?

Mavicbro2

Reactions
So I recently got my part 107 to offer professional photographery services for businesses. Being aware of these regulations I start to see all sorts of drone videos in my feed that include: aerial footage of a forest fire, a video labeled "here's *town name* from 1500 feet, and flights GPS tagged in protected wilderness areas. I barely know these people and believe they represent a threat towards legitimate pilots. Do I report them to the FAA? Has anyone on here ever made an FAA report based off of Facebook videos and photos? Should I just mind my own business? Input much appreciated.

This was typed from mobile, please excuse the brevity grammar.

Thanks!

It's a good point.There are reckless drone videos everywhere ! You'd never have time to report them all :) I don't report them to governing bodies, but I do comment on their channels / videos with 'very robust criticism' of idiotic behaviour. Important for authorities to know that the UAV community does have some responsible pilots in it...

No Sheriff is needed just because you received your 107.

A tattletale is usually motivated by selfish reasons. Therefore, examine what is behind your own desire to inform on someone. Are you trying to draw positive attention to your own righteous adherence to the rules? Is your intention to gain acceptance by others and be seen as a dependable pilot? Are you seeking to curry favor with the forum? Or, do you sadistically enjoy having your colleagues punished or embarrassed? BTW - Nice first post, and welcome to the jungle.

Last edited:
Nobody likes a snitch, right or wrong.
Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to be the new sheriff in town. But flying in restricted area due to forest fire represents needless risk to the mutiple helicopters in the area battling the fire. I found it sort of concerning. It was broad daylight and you could see the helicopters in the video the guy posted.

No Sheriff is needed just because you just received your 107.

A tattletale is usually motivated by selfish reasons. Therefore, examine what is behind your own desire to inform on someone. Are you trying to draw positive attention to your own righteous adherence to the rules? Is your intention to gain acceptance by others and be seen as a dependable pilot? Are you seeking to curry favor with the forum? Or, do you sadistically enjoy having your colleagues punished or embarrassed?

I'm a new pilot myself! I wouldn't say I righteously adhere to the rules. I'm simply aware of them and was inquiring to a community of like minded individuals about what to do in situation like this. Is this common? Should I ignore it? I think I have my answer. Thanks for your input!

Reactions: WAXMAN
It's a good point.There are reckless drone videos everywhere ! You'd never have time to report them all :) I don't report them to governing bodies, but I do comment on their channels / videos with 'very robust criticism' of idiotic behaviour. Important for authorities to know that the UAV community does have some responsible pilots in it...
Those people don't care about the rules, they're more concerned about being "COOL" and getting a response from others whether positive or not...best to ignore them...be safe, fly smart

Thing is, if you report the FAA or CAA etc they then have more reports of bad droning forming an image of more irresponsible pilots and evidence for them for more legislation.
Best thing to do, unless really bad, is to message the pilot and give helpful advise (rather than condesending) to help them avoid such silliness in the future.

Reactions: AMann and Kcobello
paying no attention to them may help too. if they aren't stirring up controversey then why keep doing stupid ****

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
There's an interesting perspective being pushed on this thread. In manned aviation, pilots have a responsibility to report safety issues and/or violations of aviation law. And yet the majority response here is "don't be a snitch".

It's not looking good for trying to elevate the level of safety and responsibility in the sUAS community.

wow,you got you're 107 and now want to police the word,good luck
Dont disagree with the snitch comment, but it all depends on what the "Value" is of reporting. I have been reported on 3 times. Don't know who but one was actually from a forum. Person accused me of selling aerial photography off our SmugMug account without the proper cert. Got a letter from the local FSDO. They do their investigation and found the person was wrong, we were 333 cert at the time. He actually tried buying prints to use as evidence. Another one reported us for a flight that did stretch the legal limit of close to people. NOT over but close. We were told to modify our safety procedure. Why I mention this is I think there are times someone should be warned if there is that possibiltiy that what this operator is doing is going to jepordize us all. IT HAPPENS. One unsafe flight and an accident and soon the local officials "BLANKET" or push buttons to get more regs.

Oh and the reason I quoted you was your response is what your going to get when a 107'er suggests they follow the rules. Im sure that comment wont be said to the FAA or local FSDO.

There's an interesting perspective being pushed on this thread. In manned aviation, pilots have a responsibility to report safety issues and/or violations of aviation law. And yet the majority response here is "don't be a snitch".

It's not looking good for trying to elevate the level of safety and responsibility in the sUAS community.
Well said sir...be safe, fly smart

I'm a private pilot,I didn't say anything about snitch,what I mean is every drone guy should police himself,fly smart and follow the rules,not get your 107,thinking your better than everyone else and wanting to report people

I'm a private pilot,I didn't say anything about snitch,what I mean is every drone guy should police himself,fly smart and follow the rules,not get your 107,thinking your better than everyone else and wanting to report people

You danced around that issue very carefully. So you would or would not report violations/unsafe flying if you see them?

Reactions: Drone on
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78