DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reckless drone flights posted on Facebook. Report?

Personally, I rarely get involved in anything unless it involves something that is harming someone or could be reasonably construed to result in harm. For example, if I see someone's dog off-leash at the walking trail I don't call the police to report a violation of the leash law. If the dog is running a 1/2 mile ahead of the owner or is snarling at every creature that approaches though, that's a different story. Likewise, if someone is operating a drone in a manner that is likely to cause harm I may report them, but if someone is simply breaking a rule (e.g. flying over the reservoir) I'm going to mind my own business.

Reactions: snoopx and rickw
There is no talking common sense to this post. These are not toys. They can be used for good and not so good things and can be dangerous. In saying that there is respect and knowledge needed anytime you leave your property to use them. You would never pass the 107 if that is how you interpret how and why the FAA screens people on how to use their Airspace. Attitude is part of that screening.
Its OK if you want to be a "your going to shoot your eye out" guy. That's to be expected in todays society. They ARE toys. I know some people feel like real life pilots when they get one, but a TOY none the less.
Cuts and bruises are dangerous enough for you to say that?
Did the part 107 tell you about these dangers you are referring to?
Kind of similar to damage that can be expected from full size aircraft. Imagine that from the FAA. Maybe you can site just ONE fatality or person disabled by a TOY DRONE ACCIDENT.
That part 107 test is nothing special. I have reviewed it ANYONE could pass it. Even people that probably cant drive a car.
I and some others just dont need it, because we can enjoy ourselves with our TOYS just as much without it.

Maybe you can site just ONE fatality or person disabled by a TOY DRONE ACCIDENT.
Maybe I can ! What about this one ?

Woman dies in ‘first drone-related accidental death’

Also mentions a toddler who had his eye sliced open by another one.

Your 'toys', @ac0j , can do a lot of damage in the hands of idiots who don't respect them. I didn't need a 107 to tell me that. It was common sense, which sadly isn't as common as it used to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: drone_video
Its OK if you want to be a "your going to shoot your eye out" guy. That's to be expected in todays society. They ARE toys. I know some people feel like real life pilots when they get one, but a TOY none the less.
Cuts and bruises are dangerous enough for you to say that?
Did the part 107 tell you about these dangers you are referring to?
Kind of similar to damage that can be expected from full size aircraft. Imagine that from the FAA. Maybe you can site just ONE fatality or person disabled by a TOY DRONE ACCIDENT.
That part 107 test is nothing special. I have reviewed it ANYONE could pass it. Even people that probably cant drive a car.
I and some others just dont need it, because we can enjoy ourselves with our TOYS just as much without it.

They certainly can be used as toys but even the cheaper consumer range of DJI equipment, such as the Mavic, is obviously being used by many people for non-recreational (professional) purposes.

They certainly can be used as toys but even the cheaper consumer range of DJI equipment, such as the Mavic, is obviously being used by many people for non-recreational (professional) purposes.
People use $100 laptops, and $500 cars for professional purposes.
The word "professional" means nothing more than someone gets paid to do something.
So if it is a $10 job, done with a $5 tool its "professional" Hardly a defense for being "safer that thou"

That woman died in a car crash. Try again......

Your correct, she died fleeing from police while breaking a law with a drone. Certainly not correct to say she died because of a drone. Even saying it was a car crash is technically correct but she was running away from police in the Commision of a crime!

That head line is so misleading.

Your correct, she died fleeing from police while breaking a law with a drone. Certainly not correct to say she died because of a drone. Even saying it was a car crash is technically correct but she was running away from police in the Commision of a crime!

That head line is so misleading.
Too bad that is the only part people read. Then post the link as proof of a drone death.... Anyone can pass the part 107. Even those who only read headlines and take it as fact.

People use $100 laptops, and $500 cars for professional purposes.
The word "professional" means nothing more than someone gets paid to do something.
So if it is a $10 job, done with a $5 tool its "professional" Hardly a defense for being "safer that thou"

I completely agree, but I was addressing your comment that they are just toys. To add to your definition of "professional", "toy" definitely means something that is used purely for fun. Mavics and Phantoms are not used purely for fun.

Too bad that is the only part people read. Then post the link as proof of a drone death.... Anyone can pass the part 107. Even those who only read headlines and take it as fact.

Easy to digest news is all the rage these days. It seems no one wants to read the whole article, and often the headlines and often the storey itself is exaggerated to bring in views for revenue.

Too bad creditable and well written journalism is hard to find in the flood of so many poorly written and ill informed articles. They have some out there still but way more bad then good ones to search through now.

But as always, everyone should read what they are about to reference in full, this would be a really good start to stopping the spread of poor quality information.

Maybe you can site just ONE fatality or person disabled by a TOY DRONE ACCIDENT.
That woman died in a car crash. Try again......

Of course I read the article, and I didn't say she was directly killed by the drone, though of course it was illegal drone activity that led to her getting killed.
Whereas the child referred to in that article lost the eye, as a result of a propeller in it, so would appear to meet your criteria (the disabled part) even if you can dismiss the other bit.

Ok ONE disabling injury.
Still less than caused by a baseball, or a football, or boomerangs...
Pretty slim excuse to call drones DANGEROUS. When people are far worse.

So I recently got my part 107 to offer professional photographery services for businesses. Being aware of these regulations I start to see all sorts of drone videos in my feed that include: aerial footage of a forest fire, a video labeled "here's *town name* from 1500 feet, and flights GPS tagged in protected wilderness areas. I barely know these people and believe they represent a threat towards legitimate pilots. Do I report them to the FAA? Has anyone on here ever made an FAA report based off of Facebook videos and photos? Should I just mind my own business? Input much appreciated.

This was typed from mobile, please excuse the brevity grammar.

Thanks!

Just be careful reporting to the FAA, I am sure the government has their own people monitoring these unsafe activities. You will not get cool points from them by reporting these reckless pilots...just let the FAA do their job, and do your part to abide by their rules. Remember, the world is full with fools who commits foolish acts on a daily basis, and you cannot police everyone. Enjoy your drone, your job, and be safe mate!

Reactions: cominsk and rickw
Every day, I see children with blood on their body, caused by bicycle accidents.

Also, I see lots of videos with some irresponsible, driving bicycles in a reckless way, near other people, even flying over the heads of a crowd.

Reading this thread, I realized that bicycles are not for fun purely, because some use them for their business.

I want your advice, if I should report all these children, driving bicycles recklessly. They are dangerous for our lives. They also could fall on someone flying a drone under his 107, then the drone could hit a tanker full of fuel, and then... you understand.

Reactions: ac0j and rickw
Its just a matter of time before one of us NON 107 people kills someone. (sarcasm)

Should I just mind my own business? Input much appreciated.

I tend to police drone stuff rather than the FAA as much as i think I should police my town rather than the police. and by that i mean, very little.

Reactions: Maineiac
My first post but what a bunch of **** responses to a legitimate question. Suggest to me that some of those responding are some of the guilty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: rdrage73
and another country heard from,best thing for this is just close post,107 drone police just don't listen

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1