DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Reckless drone flights posted on Facebook. Report?

If you were wrong, be prepared for others who have legal counsel. you could be sued for slander and libel if you made public accusations verbally or in writing that turned out to be incorrect.

even a slightest detail and/or phrasing of an accusation could be construed as damage to income or emotional duress.

be sure to use the word "allegedly" if you do carry out these reports. it is a real pandoras box youll leave open as your reports are forever in writing against a private party.

edit: if you are a keyboard warrior, disregard this message and....

Last edited:
Reactions: Elton Hammonds
If you were wrong, be prepared for others who have legal counsel. you could be sued for slander and libel if you made public accusations verbally or in writing that turned out to be incorrect.

even a slightest detail and/or phrasing of an accusation could be construed as damage to income or emotional duress.

be sure to use the word "allegedly" if you do carry out these reports. it is a real pandoras box youll leave open as your reports are forever in writing against a private party.

edit: if you are a keyboard warrior, disregard this message and....

One defense to most any defamation claim is that the person made a report in good faith to governmental agent with authority to investigate. The whistle blower may be wrong on the facts or the law and still be immune from liability so long as he acted in good faith.

One defense to most any defamation claim is that the person made a report in good faith to governmental agent with authority to investigate. The whistle blower may be wrong on the facts or the law and still be immune from liability so long as he acted in good faith.
Yep! and since we are talking about reporting VIDEO evidence, the false report is far less likely.

Reporting a criminal activity, while this activity happens secretly and underground, makes some sense.

Reporting a video on Facebook or YouTube, is meaningless. Authorities have access to Internet, and can spend a few minutes everyday to search for criminal activity. That's their job, they are paid for.

Reporting a publicly posted video, is like reporting a car driver, who drives recklessly in front of 100 policemen.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
There is a “safe” way to report unsafe flying to the FAA. The FAA’s FAASTeam (Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov) promotes safety through education. I am pretty sure a call to the local FSDO and ask for the FAASTeam will connect you to an Inspector that will take the report and contact the involved party to education without any enforcement action, unless there are criminal issues or repeat offender.
Years ago I has an “industry” FAASteam member (manned aircraft). Many times the FSDO contacted me to speak with pilots regarding safety related issues. Sometimes we just do not know we are doing something unsafe. A gentle reminder could be helpful.
Flip side, often we do not know all the details of videos or pictures posted on-line. For instance, I have posted many photos and videos taken well above 10,000’ – some at 45,000’ - all taken from an airplane, I do not think I ever stated if from plane or drone when posting. (I do have the best window seat in the plane.)
IMG_1440.JPG

Reactions: AMann
If you catch the video on YouTube, it is already too late, the risk has been taken and any damage has already been done. What's the point?

On the other hand, if you SEE SOMEONE launching off a drone at the take-off end of LAX, you could be saving hundreds of lives. I think I would call that in rather than live with the knowledge that my action may have saved those lives. Can a 747 ingest a drone? I hope never to hear it cannot.

Paul

On several occasions, Ive turned in photos I took of N-numbers on helicopters I personally watched illegally flying, dropping stuff and landing in wilderness areas, and would do the same for a rogue drone flier I personally witnessed doing it - but only after talking with the pilot and getting the feel of their passing the “attitude test” towards it - you may get a chance to do good through educating the person, and may have helped them to want to learn to be a legal flier, too.

Watching videos online and trying to alert authorities about it, particularly if you cant ID the person directly and were not there to see it in person is not going to help. But if you really feel like trying to help though, post a well written educational comment, mentioning the key words “...flying a drone over (name)” in a sentence if you want, and just leave it at that. The NP and other land managers do google searches based on keywords like that to keep tabs on what’s showing up in their area on social media, so let them find the culprits. Now as for issues that could really hurt others, e.g., the fire video or someone using a drone in a way that it could hurt people unintentionally or intentionally, I’d definitely turn them in, but as others said here, don’t sweat the minor stuff.

Last edited:
On several occasions, Ive turned in photos I took of N-numbers on helicopters I personally watched illegally flying, dropping stuff and landing in wilderness areas, and would do the same for a rogue drone flier I personally witnessed doing it - but only after talking with the pilot and getting the feel of their passing the “attitude test” towards it - you may get a chance to do good through educating the person, and may have helped them to want to learn to be a legal flier, too.

Watching videos online and trying to alert authorities about it, particularly if you cant ID the person directly and were not there to see it in person is not going to help. But if you really feel like trying to help though, post a well written educational comment, mentioning the key words “...flying a drone over (name)” in a sentence if you want, and just leave it at that. The NP and other land managers do google searches based on keywords like that to keep tabs on what’s showing up in their area on social media, so let them find the culprits. Now as for issues that could really hurt others, e.g., the fire video or someone using a drone in a way that it could hurt people unintentionally or intentionally, I’d definitely turn them in, but as others said here, don’t sweat the minor stuff.

"Watching videos online and trying to alert authorities about it, particularly if you cant ID the person directly and were not there to see it in person is not going to help."​
"Now as for issues that could really hurt others, e.g., the fire video or someone using a drone in a way that it could hurt people unintentionally or intentionally, I’d definitely turn them in..."​

Those statements seem to be contradictory.

"Watching videos online and trying to alert authorities about it, particularly if you cant ID the person directly and were not there to see it in person is not going to help."​
"Now as for issues that could really hurt others, e.g., the fire video or someone using a drone in a way that it could hurt people unintentionally or intentionally, I’d definitely turn them in..."​

Those statements seem to be contradictory.

Sorry, poorly written- I meant depending on level of severity, like if one is turning in videos posted by dumb park fliers that dont know they need registration versus alerting the FAA that a guy just posted his video on his YouTube channel of his drone that may cause water tankers or air ambulances to be grounded, or worse, then yeah, turn him in!

I do approach casual fliers and chat with them about registering, and have even suggested parks and open spaces where they can legally fly on one end of town far enough away from our local airport.

Last edited:
So I recently got my part 107 to offer professional photographery services for businesses. Being aware of these regulations I start to see all sorts of drone videos in my feed that include: aerial footage of a forest fire, a video labeled "here's *town name* from 1500 feet, and flights GPS tagged in protected wilderness areas. I barely know these people and believe they represent a threat towards legitimate pilots. Do I report them to the FAA? Has anyone on here ever made an FAA report based off of Facebook videos and photos? Should I just mind my own business? Input much appreciated.

This was typed from mobile, please excuse the brevity grammar.

Thanks!

Down here in Oz CASA monitor social media and youtube for exactly that sort of thing and prosecute where they can.

Down here in Oz CASA monitor social media and youtube for exactly that sort of thing and prosecute where they can.

Its hard and probably very time consuming or our National Parks to catch social media users, though. For example- look up the keywords “Drone” and “Yosemite National Park” on Youtube - that park has banned drones since 2014 and there are many new posts still. Pretty sad for the rest of us who want to enjoy places like that without the intrusion, and even care to fly legally.

Its hard for our National Parks to catch social media users, though. For example- look up the keywords “Drone” and “Yosemite National Park” on Youtube - that park has banned drones since 2014 and there are many new posts still. Pretty sad for the rest of us who want to enjoy places like that without the intrusion, and even care to fly legally.

Yep they make it hard for responsible fliers.

Its OK if you want to be a "your going to shoot your eye out" guy. That's to be expected in todays society. They ARE toys. I know some people feel like real life pilots when they get one, but a TOY none the less.
Cuts and bruises are dangerous enough for you to say that?
Did the part 107 tell you about these dangers you are referring to?
Kind of similar to damage that can be expected from full size aircraft. Imagine that from the FAA. Maybe you can site just ONE fatality or person disabled by a TOY DRONE ACCIDENT.
That part 107 test is nothing special. I have reviewed it ANYONE could pass it. Even people that probably cant drive a car.
I and some others just dont need it, because we can enjoy ourselves with our TOYS just as much without it.

Well said, especially your penultimate paragraph.

It's not looking good for trying to elevate the level of safety and responsibility in the sUAS community.
Hopefully "THEY" are in the minority. Minority or not "THEY" are the ones the media will choose to show as the normal drone operators. "THEY" are the ones the media will seek out as examples regardless of how many law abiding fliers there are.

God help us when and if the media learns of those and starts going through FB, here and other similar forums looking for those examples.

He does have a selfish motivation: To prevent reckless drone flying in hopes that new laws aren't passed that will negatively affect himself. I'd message the person in private to just let them know that, when flying, you shouldn't do whatever he did. In a polite way. "Nice video. I loved it. Just to let you know, you should be careful of...". Maybe report it if the guy is an jerk to you. Other than that, unless it's super unsafe (like the guy that filmed the plane landing in Isreal), I wouldn't be too concerned. Better to fix the person's mindset than to ruin them legally.

Reactions: SKentBrown

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute