DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommended Settings - for newbies and others...

collins

Reactions
Here is a download link to a 10 minute video that includes 'my recommended' settings (for about 30 settings on the Mavic.)

pres.mp4

The video is 10 minutes long but you can skip the first half (which is video and stills).

I think it is useful for those who have just got a Mavic (and want a good starting point) for still settings, video settings and controller settings.

It might also be useful for those who have found that many of their settings have been 'reset' through one of the many firmware updates and cant quite remember the settings they were using.

Obviously there are 100s of opinions on settings. I suggest D-Cinelike others will clearly disagree, style set at +1, -1, 0. My goal is not to give what will turn out to be the perfect settings for any one person but a good starting point from which to fine tune.

Reactions: Phlier
Are you desperately trying to keep people from seeing the video by expecting them to download an mp4? If only there was a site you could upload it to for everyone to watch...

Reactions: asiff206
Are you desperately trying to keep people from seeing the video by expecting them to download an mp4? If only there was a site you could upload it to for everyone to watch...

Actually my thinking was that you could download it, keep it as reference, or even edit it for your own preferred settings...

But I get your point so here is a youtube version....

Actually my thinking was that you could download it, keep it as reference, or even edit it for your own preferred settings...

Thanks for the extra effort Collins!

Reactions: dannyw777

some bueatiful footage there....many thanks for the setup tips...new mavic owner here so these will help me ....thank you...

Reactions: Jonatham Tai
Collins or Rascal, I take it there was no sound the second half of the video? No narrative during the settings screens? (Or did it just not load properly on my smartphone?)

Collins or Rascal, I take it there was no sound the second half of the video? No narrative during the settings screens? (Or did it just not load properly on my smartphone?)

The explanation is incredibly simple (but admittedly rather unsatisfactory)

I am a photographer(with a little video experience). I was asked to make a presentation on an 'introduction of drones for photographers'. So that is what the 'video' is about. When I gave the presentation I obviously gave a commentary.

So I 100% agree that it isnt the perfect video for anyone (and apologise to anyone who thinks it was a complete waste of their time). I 'fully admit' that I could have edited it and/or added commentary that would have made it better.)

But, simply put, I thought people watching this find it 'more helpful' than 'more irritating' and decided on the 'more helpful line' so posted it....

The 'problem/advantage' with the Mavic is that it is hugely customizable - out of the box it isnt so great. Add in firmware updates that reset settings and it starts to become incredibly difficult. I know most guys here have run through 100 youtube videos on these topics and prety much know it all but others havent.

And even so I bet you cant find a 'settings you should check immediately after you have done a firmware update' video.... (not that my video answers that question)

The explanation is incredibly simple (but admittedly rather unsatisfactory)

I am a photographer(with a little video experience). I was asked to make a presentation on an 'introduction of drones for photographers'. So that is what the 'video' is about. When I gave the presentation I obviously gave a commentary.

So I 100% agree that it isnt the perfect video for anyone (and apologise to anyone who thinks it was a complete waste of their time). I 'fully admit' that I could have edited it and/or added commentary that would have made it better.)

But, simply put, I thought people watching this find it 'more helpful' than 'more irritating' and decided on the 'more helpful line' so posted it....

The 'problem/advantage' with the Mavic is that it is hugely customizable - out of the box it isnt so great. Add in firmware updates that reset settings and it starts to become incredibly difficult. I know most guys here have run through 100 youtube videos on these topics and prety much know it all but others havent.

And even so I bet you cant find a 'settings you should check immediately after you have done a firmware update' video.... (not that my video answers that question)

Don't get me wrong I appreciate the video, great photography/videography too. It makes sense now, if you gave a verbal explanation while playing the video for an audience. I just thought it was a silent tutorial-which I found strange(?) Your last comment explains it all now. ( I reloaded the video several times thinking that the sound didn't load correctly after fast forwarding.... lol)

Reactions: NortiRascal
I will also admit that I posted my settings for 'another couple of reasons'

1) A couple of my settings are pretty 'extreme' - say my 'yaw' 'exp' at '0.10'. So I thought that 'experienced Mavic' owners who had different settings might say 'try them and prefer them' or...
2) Experienced Mavic owners would think they were 'stupid/inadvisable' settings especially for 'newbies'

...along those lines I thought that people might ask why I explicitly 'did not recommend' Adobe Premiere Elements etc...

Like everyone here I am relatively new to the Mavic, so I am open to fine tuning my 'preferences' as anyone else. I do think that say the choice of 2.7k v 4k or D Cinelike v D-Log is more personal preference but that is another matter.

I will also admit that I posted my settings for 'another couple of reasons'

1) A couple of my settings are pretty 'extreme' - say my 'yaw' 'exp' at '0.10'. So I thought that 'experienced Mavic' owners who had different settings might say 'try them and prefer them' or...
2) Experienced Mavic owners would think they were 'stupid/inadvisable' settings especially for 'newbies'

...along those lines I thought that people might ask why I explicitly 'did not recommend' Adobe Premiere Elements etc...

Like everyone here I am relatively new to the Mavic, so I am open to fine tuning my 'preferences' as anyone else. I do think that say the choice of 2.7k v 4k or D Cinelike v D-Log is more personal preference but that is another matter.

Perhaps it's all the choices that make the Mavic so interesting. I've been involved on and off with RC since age 12 (41yrs[emoji15]) and flying full/real scale airplanes (soloing gliders at age 14) so the flying part comes easy to me. With some practice I could almost duplicate "cinematic mode" without being in it if I concentrated enough. (please understand I'm not bragging here, but you'd expect that from me if you were sitting in the back of the airbus while I was hand flying.) I can see how someone new to the remote control world would need these settings as it's soooo very easy to over control yaw while shooting video giving their viewers virtual whiplash! That and learning how to control the gimbals up and down pan requires the right "touch". Lots of practice makes the "master" as they say......
Now editing video on Final Cut Pro is total a new venture for me... I can barely get video uploaded to my new MacBook Pro! Lol
I'm about ready to spring $'s for a tutorial program to learn FCP it if I don't get a better grip on it during next weeks holiday beach weekend get away.

Perhaps it's all the choices that make the Mavic so interesting. I've been involved on and off with RC since age 12 (41yrs[emoji15]) and flying full/real scale airplanes (soloing gliders at age 14) so the flying part comes easy to me. With some practice I could almost duplicate "cinematic mode" without being in it if I concentrated enough. (please understand I'm not bragging here, but you'd expect that from me if you were sitting in the back of the airbus while I was hand flying.) I can see how someone new to the remote control world would need these settings as it's soooo very easy to over control yaw while shooting video giving their viewers virtual whiplash! That and learning how to control the gimbals up and down pan requires the right "touch". Lots of practice makes the "master" as they say......
Now editing video on Final Cut Pro is total a new venture for me... I can barely get video uploaded to my new MacBook Pro! Lol
I'm about ready to spring $'s for a tutorial program to learn FCP it if I don't get a better grip on it during next weeks holiday beach weekend get away.

100% absolutely.

And while the experienced drone pilot can create incredible cinematic footage through a drone an experienced editor can create 'stabilization' 'tracking' 'panning' 'zooming without drone movement'; orbiting, focusing etc through software and editing - we only use 4k to create incredible 1080p footage. I am a reasonably experience photographer but had never touched the video button on anything until 3 months ago, And in the long run it will be the people who can manipulate a drone and manipulate the software that will win out. As you say that's what makes it so exciting... Love this footage....

Just watch an episode of planet earth ii to see what happens when incredible equipment comes together with incredible cameramen and fantastic post editors....

Last edited:
Reactions: Dronewerkz
Very much appreciated. Us new guys can't get enough of this!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H89SA